Lately,since I started streaming,I only listen to the first half of a track

Huck

Hi:
 I have been streaming for about 2 months now and I find myself only listening to maybe the first half of any new music,that's if it sounds good to begin with.
 Usually I can tell what the rest of the track will sound like,by listening to the first half,good or bad. I rarely listen to the whole track before going 'next'.
But doing this,I could be missing out on a good drum lick or a good guitar solo farther on in the track.
Do you do this,or is it just me?.Thanks:scratch:

Carlman

Are you doing this when you set aside time to just listen to music? Or, are you doing this while trying to do something else?  I have found that makes the biggest difference.... I like listening to music while I work, but sometimes the tracks just don't "go" for some reason... And then the skipping begins.  I will skip several songs for some reason, before I realize I'm not in the mood or frame of mind for that kind of music.

It's great on Pandora because I will just switch stations and some magic happens that it just clicks with the next station.  Or, I realize I wasn't in the mood to listen to music at all.

However, if I sit down to listen to it type of music that I really like, I get sucked in and want to listen to the whole album, The kind they used to make where the songs all told the story of some sort or went together.  Radiohead's King of limbs sucks me in every time.  But if I'm not in the mood for that, it feels wrong... So I'll just skip through, thinking "where is that good song?"... And, on that album, there really isn't one good song it all goes together.

With music, I have to know when to enjoy random songs, enjoy an album, know what mood I'm in, etc.
Sometimes, I just need to make my own music!

ric

Yes I find myself "auditioning" new music and because of the ease of sitting there and going to the next track or different artist, can become a distraction to what WAS trying to listen to music.
Part of it is the kid in a candy store mindset of wanting to try everything new and becoming restless with so many choices. Also, there is a lot of good music out there, as well as not so good, and the recording qualities vary.
With vinyl, the ritual is different--finding what you want, getting up, cleaning off the record and getting back to your seat, it's not like you can push a button with the world at your fingertips.
So, yes, I think there is a price to pay for so many options at the push of a button. And then you add to that  the restlessness of wanting to try different cables, amps, sources, it can be expensive and overwhelming. Sometimes this can be the negative aspect of audiophilia, for me that occurs sometimes, not that often.

timind

• permanent vacation
Dear Huck, stop doing that.

Problem solved.

Doublej

Or a month later go back and listen to only the the second half of the same tracks.

charmerci

If the song is lame, I'll turn it off in the first minute. It's not worth my time to go through the (slight) emotional turmoil of bad music. There's so much incredible music out there to listen to.

Bob Stark

I think it is a little like the convenience of CDs vs records where the tendency is to go to the next one if it doesn't please you.  Record albums, on the other hand are different.  I used to and still do listen mostly to whole sides of the album, often to both sides.  Streaming opens up so many choices of music and has convenience similar to CDs, so you are more likely to do as CDs did to albums, just skip on the the next one way too often. 

One the other hand, life is too short to waste it on an unenjoyable cut.  I think records tend to draw you into the music better than either source--thereby you listen less analytically, and just enjoy the music.  You don't tend to pick apart the various parts of the music with the records either.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
A larger problem is that most albums have only 1 or 2 great tracks and a lot of filler. There's very few albums that are great from beginning to end.

viggen

that's normal.  since streaming, i can't seem to recall any of the song's names...

Huck

A larger problem is that most albums have only 1 or 2 great tracks and a lot of filler. There's very few albums that are great from beginning to end.
I agree 100%,so what would you say would be the best CD,that's if there is such a thing(artist,title) that has all quality sound throughout...rock and alternative rock genre...no hip-hop,Country or rap?.Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2022, 02:26 pm by Huck »

Craig B

that's normal.  since streaming, i can't seem to recall any of the song's names...

That started for me about the time CD players began appearing in cars. The first few listenings of new albums tended to occur there, while driving, rather than in a seat in the house, so I couldn't pore over liner notes while listening.

Digi-G

When you say you're listening to "new" music, I assume you mean music that you're not familiar with.

Honestly, I can't sit and listen to an hour of music I'm not familiar with, no matter how good it is.  I'm not sure if I get bored with it but I just want some familiarity.  It's taken me a while to warm up to some of the music that I absolutely LOVE now (Moody Blues, Jayhawks, Big Star, David Gray, etc.).  For me it's a slow burn kind of thing I guess.

Big Star is a really good example for me.  On the first few listens I was underwhelmed and thought "meh".  But, here's the thing, as I became more FAMILIAR with their music I realized just how good it really is.  I've learned not to judge music too quickly.

For the record, I don't stream.  And if I did I couldn't listen to just new music.