Rip Gary Brooker

jonbee

Rip Gary Brooker
« on: 23 Feb 2022, 06:51 am »
Best known as voice and piano for Procul Harum, later a staple in other major British bands. A great talent, and by all accounts a good man.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
Re: Rip Gary Brooker
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2022, 07:52 am »
Damn, what a shame!  Dream Weaver was a great song!  Sleep well, Gary... 🙁

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2022, 08:47 am »
Too bad, a loss to Prog Rock,
one of the most beatiful voices in rock.
RIP

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2022, 01:15 pm »
R.I.P. Gary Brooker, "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" was one of my favorite songs in my childhood years.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2022, 02:08 pm »
RIP

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2022, 03:20 pm »
Damn, what a shame!  Dream Weaver was a great song!  Sleep well, Gary... 🙁

I don’t recall Dream Weaver being a PH song. Wasn’t it Gary Wright?

MttBsh

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2022, 03:57 pm »
Gary Brooker was one of the greatest voices in rock, even in his later years he sang with strength and passion. I've loved Procol Harum for the past 50 years, saw them only once back in 1974 and although Robin Trower had left by then they were still a magnificent live band. I'm very sorry to hear of Gary's passing.

Digi-G

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2022, 02:30 pm »
Aw, he seemed like a great guy.  With a great voice.  RIP.

I stumbled across this video a while back and thought I'd share.  It's a fantastic live version of Whiter Shade with an orchestra and choir from 2006.  I get goosebumps every time I watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6jyEFe5WM

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2022, 03:47 pm »
It's not often you see a you tube video with not a single thumbs down. I always liked that song, though I found the words to be tough to decipher.

jonbee

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2022, 04:55 pm »
One of my favorite musicians from the era. I saw them in '71. I'm revisiting Procul now. Just great stuff.
Thought of as kicking off Prog Rock. Recommend the "Whiter" album, Shine on Brightly and Salty Dog for starters.
Brooker "borrowed" chord progressions from Bach, and Matthew Fisher interpreted them on organ.
Whiter was John Lennon's favorite song from the era. He played it over and over.
A song about an attempted seduction gone bad, following a dinner.
"...And so it was later, as the Miller told his tale, her face at first just ghostly, turned a whiter shade of pale."
The Miller's tale is a bawdy section of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, ca. 1395 AD.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2022, 06:24 pm by jonbee »

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2022, 02:32 am »
I don’t recall Dream Weaver being a PH song. Wasn’t it Gary Wright?
Yeah, my mistake.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2022, 03:39 am »
It's not often you see a you tube video with not a single thumbs down. I always liked that song, though I found the words to be tough to decipher.
The Thumbs Down at YT was silently full disabled for the entire site a few months ago(Feb/Mar21) by express order of a big user that was receiving tens of thousands negative views.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2022, 04:51 am by FullRangeMan »

jonbee

« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2022, 02:45 am »
Aw, he seemed like a great guy.  With a great voice.  RIP.

I stumbled across this video a while back and thought I'd share.  It's a fantastic live version of Whiter Shade with an orchestra and choir from 2006.  I get goosebumps every time I watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6jyEFe5WM
Wow. Thanks for posting this. 73 million plays!
Highly recommended.