Devialet Expert/Expert Pro Integrated Amplifiers

Freo-1

Devialet Expert/Expert Pro Integrated Amplifiers
« on: 21 Feb 2022, 03:47 am »
I've been in this hobby a long time, and auditioned and owned a lot of high(er) end equipment.  Tube, Solid State, Hybrid, Vinyl, Cassette, CD, DVD, DVD Audio, SACD, etc.  There has been a lot of advances over the years.  Even with tube amps, the parts quality has gotten a lot better (except the tubes themselves), with a few exceptions. 

When I first heard a Devialet D-Premier, I was gob smacked.  How in the world did they get that pizza box to do everything it does, and sound better than the vast majority of separate components.  It did everything, preamp, DAC, phono, preamp out, line in, you name it, it did it.  Needless to say, I was hooked.

The amount of technical innovations with these amps are extraordinary.   The onboard DAC is directly connect to the amp, no cables required.  The amp section is called AHD, or Analog Digital Hybrid.  Voltage is controlled by a Class A section, while current is controlled by a Class D amp.  It's significantly more advanced than any other Class A, AB, D, or H topologies currently available.   From the expert to the expert pro, the following explains the improvement:

" The Class A amp design has been simplified to the point where the signal now crosses only 2 silicon junctions resulting in a significant reduction of THD. Additionally, the Class A amplifier has an increased sense from 8 bits to 10 bits resulting in 1024 levels, up from the previous 256. [/size]The recent version of the Class D amplifier features optimized efficiency. Without any increases in size, it is now capable of supplying 50% more power. "[/font]
The link below will provide additional explanations of how the amp, dac, power supply, Speaker Active Matching (SAM), and streaming all work.  I use SAM for the Dynaudio Focus 360, and I can report it works as advertised.  These amps are way ahead, both sonically and technology wise, of today's audio offerings. 

I don't think some of the current standard measurement tests fully apply to these amps.  Music is not a steady state signal.  The measured noise and distortion specs are among the very best at any price. So is the sound. They just sound like music.

Do they cost a lot new?  Yes, BUT, you get a complete system, and don't have to spend big $$$ on interconnects.  Second hand, they can be had for more reasonable prices.  The only complaint I have have is the owner has to log onto the Devialet website to configure the unit.  The software tool to achieve this is a bit cumbersome,  but I've seen far worse interfaces.

Occasionally will audition new gear/systems to see what is out there.  Haven't heard anything that would make me want to change out of Devialet, except to update from an expert to an expert pro.  The closest I've come to matching the enjoyment level is from a Chord M-Scaler/Hugo TT2 DAC driving tube amplifiers. 

When I first read about Devialet, I was vey skeptical.  Having at time listened to the emerging Class D amps (ICE, Hypex, etc), and was less than enamored with the sonics, didn't think the D-Premier or D-200 would sound all that great.  Could not have been more wrong.  Wound up selling all my McIntosh gear, which was current at the time.  There was a huge difference in sonics.

Highly recommended for audition. 

[/size]https://www.devialet.com/en-us/amplifiers/expert-pro/expert-pro-technologies/

jjss49

Re: Devialet Expert/Expert Pro Integrated Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2022, 07:13 am »
yes i have an 120 expert... it is exceptionally good, a very clear yet rich, saturated sound, and awesome bass impact as one would expect

i find the internal dac perhaps a touch forward but one can run an outboard dac into its analog rca inputs

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2022, 04:21 pm »
yes i have an 120 expert... it is exceptionally good, a very clear yet rich, saturated sound, and awesome bass impact as one would expect

i find the internal dac perhaps a touch forward but one can run an outboard dac into its analog rca inputs

Not sure running an outboard DAC back into the line input would  buy any improvement.  I think the slight forward sound is the digital signal itself. 

One method to address this is to use HQ Player, and upscale the signal.  I use the Chord M-Scaler set at 192KHz from my headphone setup.  Makes a noticeable improvement.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2022, 04:42 pm »
A close friend brought his 120 to my house a couple of years back. I could live with it, but I don't think it worked as well as my Moscode amp and Dodd preamp running my big LS9 line sources.  But these are speakers that like lots of power. 

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2022, 05:11 pm »
A close friend brought his 120 to my house a couple of years back. I could live with it, but I don't think it worked as well as my Moscode amp and Dodd preamp running my big LS9 line sources.  But these are speakers that like lots of power.

Excellent point. I know from experience that with large speakers,  or those with low efficiency,  need to have at least a 200 or 220 Pro to drive them.

Also, if your speakers are in the SAM database,  that helps as well. 

Philip J Fry

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2022, 06:50 pm »
I run a D400 with a custom Audience RCA to XLR cable connecting the master to the slave.

I didn't think the huge cost to upgrade to Expert Pro was worth it.

Really like SAM and the remote app.

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2022, 08:48 pm »
I run a D400 with a custom Audience RCA to XLR cable connecting the master to the slave.

I didn't think the huge cost to upgrade to Expert Pro was worth it.

Really like SAM and the remote app.

I use SAM for  a pair of Dynaudio Focus 360s. 

The ADH and DAC was updated.  How much of a delta that is sonically is up for debate.  From reading posts on Devialet Chat website,  it does seem that the Pro does sound better, and there is the updated streaming.  I hear you on cost.

I'll have a 220 Pro in house soon and we shall see about what sonic benefits there are. 

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2022, 04:30 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the information. These aren't cheap amps but its great to get real world feedback from a high end user.

Cheers Rod

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2022, 03:35 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the information. These aren't cheap amps but its great to get real world feedback from a high end user.

Cheers Rod

No worries.

The used prices for some of these is not that bad by high end standards.  The preamp,  power amp, DAC, and interconnects are all replaced with a single unit. Take the cost of those 4 items, and now it's not so bad.

kenreau

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2022, 04:46 pm »

I had a Devialet D200 for a couple of years. Absolutely loved the single box solution and sound quality. Always an optimizer/tweaker, I got the upgrade bug from the devialet chat forum and ended up swapping out the cheap brass plated speaker connector with WBT units and the power IEC inlet with a top Furutech unit. Easy plug and play swap out of parts and made a nice improvement in sound quality.  I found the Graditech Voima 1 power cord to work best in my set up. 

Fwiw, I moved homes and had to sell the D200.  I still have the WBT speaker connectors parts and Graditech power cord if anyone is interested.

Kenreau

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2022, 04:51 pm »
I've owned Devialet a few times and they are great products and performers.

As I get older, I seem to want less of the computer based stuff like fiddling with Dev SAM and streamer and set up to operate my system.  Give me a simple thing like the good old days - flip the power button on and adjust the volume without getting up.

Philip J Fry

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2022, 06:48 pm »
Give me a simple thing like the good old days - flip the power button on and adjust the volume without getting up.

You can do that with the Devialet remote or their app on your phone or tablet.

Freo-1

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2022, 08:34 pm »
I've owned Devialet a few times and they are great products and performers.

As I get older, I seem to want less of the computer based stuff like fiddling with Dev SAM and streamer and set up to operate my system.  Give me a simple thing like the good old days - flip the power button on and adjust the volume without getting up.

But even then,  I've a good old days all tube preamp/power amp setup I use about 1/3rd of the time.   Occasionally have to check the fixed bias on the output tubes to make sure no gremlins are at play.  Nothing worse than a power tube going Chernobyl cherry red.  :o

Zuman

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2022, 09:08 pm »
Has anyone done a thorough listening comparison between a Devialet and a NAD M33? I know some people will have the "I'd be surprised if a NAD could be even remotely competitive" attitude, but I'm wondering if anyone has actual substantial listening experience with the two?

popthinker

« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2022, 11:19 pm »
Has anyone done a thorough listening comparison between a Devialet and a NAD M33? I know some people will have the "I'd be surprised if a NAD could be even remotely competitive" attitude, but I'm wondering if anyone has actual substantial listening experience with the two?
The topic has been covered on the Devialet Chat board. A number of different angles: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-NAD-Masters-M33-first-review.

jjss49

« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2022, 11:55 pm »
i compared my devialet 120 to a borrowed m33... used them as straight integrated amps, first with their internal dacs, then without (both fed by an audio note kit 4.1 tube dac) - driving spendor sp100r2 and harbeth mon 40.3

i preferred the devialet by a good margin, it had a more saturated sound through the midband and upper bass, slightly more expansive sound stage, richer tonal colors, and a more transparent yet more refined treble (the nad sounded smooth but more thin, dull/slightly bleached out in comparison)

Rocket

« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2022, 11:27 am »
Hi,

Yes of course. I'll keep an eye out for something later in the year. I have new speakers coming which will fit my room better and the devialets will work well in the area I have for them.

No worries.
The used prices for some of these is not that bad by high end standards.  The preamp,  power amp, DAC, and interconnects are all replaced with a single unit. Take the cost of those 4 items, and now it's not so bad.
/quote]

Cheers Rod