Hi I'm Viz

viz

Hi I'm Viz
« on: 11 Feb 2022, 03:47 pm »
Hello all, I'm Viz. I have a couple of 7B3 and I've just got a BR20, which I have to say I'm struggling with.

Turntable via RCA: no problem. XLR sounds really light, but my XLR cables are v cheap so I've ordered better ones.

DAC via digital coax: no problem.

CD player via HDMI: doesn't work. Apparently my Pro-Ject CD player's i2S output and the BR20's i2S input aren't compatible, which is really really annoying because I chose the HDMI option for this very purpose. However, through AES / EBU: no problem, sounds fantastic, even though I'm using another cheapo XLR cable.

TV via RCAs: no problem, sounds great.

iphone via wifi: managed to get it working today, took a bit of time. Sounds pretty good.

All in all the sound is absolutely fantastic, but it's definitely taking time to get it going well.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Hi I'm Viz
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2022, 10:35 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Viz   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2022, 12:49 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2022, 03:30 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2022, 12:50 pm »
Welcome!

I've found XLR cables (cheap or expensive) sound similar, so I surmise your problem may be that your components aren't "true" balanced design (many aren't), not the cables.  What exactly do you mean by sounding "light"?  How do you judge what makes a better XLR cable?  XLR design is basic and pretty bullet proof, the main differences is how ruggedly their made to withstand studio/concert abuse.  Much of the audiophile cable nonsense doesn't apply. 

Unfortunately while a very good format there is no standard for I2S connections, so you need to do homework to know if your stuff is compatible.  BTW AES/EBU (depending on the standard your working with) only goes up to 24/48. 

Craig B

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2022, 01:02 pm »
Too late to help much here, but the best way to be assured that an I2S connection will work is to get the same brand transport and DAC. Otherwise, before buying get confirmation from the transport mfr that their HDMI pin assignments are compatible with your DAC's (or vice versa). My DAC is from PS Audio, and I got confirmation from NuPrime that their CDT8-Pro transport's HDMI output used the same protocol as PSA, so it worked fine. And when I replaced the NuPrime with a PSA transport, I knew it would work.

viz

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2022, 05:59 pm »
Re HDMI - yep, you live and learn I guess!

The XLR cables I have cost me 87p or something and are as thin as garden string, so I’ve bought some better ones that I’m hoping will let some bass frequency pass through. We’ll see - they arrive tomorrow :)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2022, 09:21 pm »
Have never seen XLR that thin, no wonder your system sounds "light".  Every XLR cable I've seen are 1/4 inch in diameter.