Megadeth "Youthanasia" sounds better from streaming service than 1994 CD

Huck

Hi:
I had read for some time to stay away from most remixed or remastered CD's and go for the 'original' if possible,which is what I did with Megadeth's 1994 "Youthanasia" CD.
I had also heard the same title,but a different version(2014 remastered) on Amazon Unlimited and after listening to both,the streamed version had way more stereo separation and all around more life than my 'original' CD,especially on the "Addicted to Chaos",the opening drum fill....why?!
I had played the original CD on my Oppo BDP-95 Blu ray player,which I thought to be not a bad player and it sounded 'lifeless',so is the whole Amazon version just better put together and my Oppo is 'garbage'??...or is my 94 CD just not well mastered(or whatever the term is?):scratch: Thanks,Huck

newzooreview

In many (not all) cases, more recent remastering releases have done a much better job of pulling information off of the original tapes. There are some cases where the remastering may also include remixing, in which case the results are less consistent. Well known examples of remastering are the Rudy Van Gelder remastering of numerous jazz recording for which he was the original sound engineer. He knew what the original sound was and could get it right in creating a new digital version. The RCA Living Stereo remasters are also excellent. There are many examples.

Very frequently the early CDs, even from 1994, were not as well mastered as can be achieved now. More often than not, a remastered version will sound better than an 80s-90s CD.

So, it's not surprising that the remastered version streaming from Amazon would sound better. The CD is only $9, and includes bonus tracks.

Huck

I just bought the newer 'remastered" 2014 version,so now I have two. :thumb:Huck
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2022, 10:22 pm by Huck »

Mag

In addition to what was mentioned above... when a band creates a song they usually make a few takes and pick the best one for release to public. For example Rush- Camera Eye on Moving Pictures albums there's the Hi-Rez cd and the original release. IMO the Hi-Rez version although it sounded better than the original was not the same version although the difference were subtle I happen to like the original version better, so I'll stick with the original because for me in this case the performance trumps sound quality.

And IMO Amazon HD must have the Master version. I tweak recordings and recordings I'm familiar with the Amazon version seems to be slightly better than some of my tweaks without any editing done to it. But I have a few where the sound of the guitar on my tweaks betters even Amazon.

Oh and one more thing CD's are compressed to some degree. I was baffled by this for some time, not sure why it was done other than to release a slightly inferior product to the public and keep the Master versions locked in a vault. For this reason I have listened to dvd, blu ray versions that not compressed. But realize many dvd's are heavily compressed as well, just the good ones are for me the recording standard. :smoke:

Mariusz Uszynski

Hi:
I had read for some time to stay away from most remixed or remastered CD's and go for the 'original' if possible,which is what I did with Megadeth's 1994 "Youthanasia" CD.
I had also heard the same title,but a different version(2014 remastered) on Amazon Unlimited and after listening to both,the streamed version had way more stereo separation and all around more life than my 'original' CD,especially on the "Addicted to Chaos",the opening drum fill....why?!
I had played the original CD on my Oppo BDP-95 Blu ray player,which I thought to be not a bad player and it sounded 'lifeless',so is the whole Amazon version just better put together and my Oppo is 'garbage'??...or is my 94 CD just not well mastered(or whatever the term is?):scratch: Thanks,Huck
Hi Huck, I just played Nick Menza's (R.I.P) drum intro on "Addicted To Chaos" and it sounds very punchy and live to me.I have 1995 limited editon version 2cds, made in England, I hope that helps.

Huck

Hi Huck, I just played Nick Menza's (R.I.P) drum intro on "Addicted To Chaos" and it sounds very punchy and live to me.I have 1995 limited editon version 2cds, made in England, I hope that helps.

Hi: Would you have the catalogue numbers of those limited editions 2 cd's
I listened to the drum intro on ADC on Amazon HD and it sounded very real,but the original 94 CD,it sounded way back and faint(weak),even after turning it up.Thanks,Huck

mr_bill

Isn't it the case that some of the older original issues are more dynamic than there newer replacements?  I thought I read that somewhere,

Mariusz Uszynski

Hi Huck, this is the catalog  # 7243 8 32739 2 8.If you like metal, I recommend https://www.metal-archives.com.
Really good metal website.

Mariusz Uszynski

Isn't it the case that some of the older original issues are more dynamic than there newer replacements?  I thought I read that somewhere,
Amen to that.I was bored out of my mind yesterday, so I compared "Dark Side Of The Moon" by Pink Floyd regular cd to original master recording 24k and the regular edition sounded more dynamic to me.

Huck

Hi Huck, this is the catalog  # 7243 8 32739 2 8.If you like metal, I recommend https://www.metal-archives.com.
Thanks!...Huck

Mariusz Uszynski

Thanks!...Huck
You welcome Huck.To tell you the truth, I have few double cds, european and north-american editions of the same artist, the same release date and I find european cds sounding better.

Huck

Thanks for the link,some interesting reading.Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2022, 04:04 pm by Huck »