Intro and question on Servo Sealed Plus Kit (Single)

brewthunda

Hi folks. This is my first post on audiocircle.  Used to hang out on audioasylum 15-20 years ago and am just recently getting back into the audio hobby.

I recently purchased the Servo Sealed Plus Kit with the A370PEQ amp.  This will be my first speaker project in 20 years (previously built an ACI Titan II sub and a pair of North Creek Rhythms towers).

Question: do I need to stuff the box with polyfill? If so, how much? Danny's plans are great, but I don't know if the box size was calculated assuming that it would be filled.

Many thanks in advance.

A bit more info about me and my current project:

I was big into the hobby 20 or so years ago.  Had a decent (somewhat budget-conscious) system based on Rega electronics, a VPI turntable, and the North Creek and ACI speakers mentioned above in a dedicated listening room. Cardas speaker placement, DIY acoustic treatments, DIY cables, DIY MC step up box, etc.  After my 3 yr old son lunched a brand new Denon DL-103R cartridge, I decided to take the audio stuff easy until he was older. 

10 yrs ago we moved to a new house and those speakers and the VPI got integrated into our main living room TV system.  They still sound good, but it's a tricky, massive room (16k cubic ft), and the speakers are pushed closer to the wall than I'd like.  It's great for TV and casual listening, but I've been pining for the experience I had years ago.

18 months ago we moved my ailing MIL into our home. My wife suggested that I set up a new record system in our underused upstairs living/rumpus room so I could have my own space to do the audio thing again. It's a much more manageable space than the big room downstairs and I have the freedom to do whatever I really want as far as placement goes. Bought a Pro-ject turntable and resurrected the Rega Mira integrated and a an old pair of Sonus Faber Concertino bookshelf speakers that I was using for computer speakers and they sound great.  You'll see in the pic below that there's a big upholstered couch between the speakers . .  and the imaging I'm getting is crazy good.  I also built a Raspberry Pi Volumio player with a HiFiBerry DAC HAT for listening to web radio stations.  (Fun tip: if you tell Volumio that you have a touch display attached, you can mirror the Volumio screen to any old computer monitor so you can get album/streaming info)

So what I'm obviously missing is a decent sub to fill in where the Concertino's leave off and the Rythmik/GR Research sub sounds right up my alley.  I had researched GR Research quite a bit back in the day and like Danny's approach to audio.  I like the OB stuff, but it won't really work for what I have planned.  I'll post more about the sub when the project gets going.

I've been enjoying the AudioCircle forums for a while and figure it's finally time to make an introduction. Danny, thanks for keeping the GR-Research forum going. This place is great.  I also enjoy your youtube vids.

Pic of current system I'm working on:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Intro and question on Servo Sealed Plus Kit (Single)
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2022, 02:08 am »
Welcome to AC and welcome back to another wing of the asylum!  I too used to be a regular there back in the day.  Discovering Danny’s work changed my life for the better.  Building the sealed servo sub is a worthy endeavor.  I built one too over 10 years ago and still use it today.  Like any sub it can be a little tricky to find the right spot for it but when you do it becomes a magical beast.  As for poly fill it should fill the box but loosely with maybe a small cavity behind the driver.  And don’t forget the No Rez!

brewthunda

Re: Intro and question on Servo Sealed Plus Kit (Single)
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2022, 05:13 pm »
Thanks, corndog!

Thanks for the reminder on the no-rez, too.  When I did my North Creeks, they advised mixing dry wall mud with flexible hobby glue and slathering it all over inside the speakers.  It worked great and the when you rap on the boxes, it sounds like you're rapping on a solid log.  But it was messy as heck . . the No Rez seems to be comparable in price and a much cleaner solution.