GR open baffle subs with vintage altec a5 horn speakers

mattreacher

Hello folks my name is Matt and have been an audio nut for quite a few years now. After trying many of the most highly regarded speaker designs I have found what really works for me are highly efficient horn speakers.

No doubt this is in part because my preferred amplification is single ended 300B with only 8 watts or so of output - but I am also experimenting with the AGD GanFET amplifiers that make 80 watts.

I have joined AudioCircle to find out more about GR's open baffle subs. None of the modern subs I have tried - REL, SVS, JL have been fast enough to keep up with my Altec A5's

I see lots of discussion about the GR OB subs used with Plannar and Electrostatic designs so I am hoping there is a chance they would be a solution to get some bass extension with vintage or modern horns designs.

You thoughts would be appreciated

Blackmore

Re: GR open baffle subs with vintage altec a5 horn speakers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2022, 01:45 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle. I’ve had friends comment that Danny’s subs are the best they’ve ever heard. Hope someone has some experience getting them to integrate with the Altecs.  I have a pair of Valencias and some 414 in a Santana II cabinet, so I’ll be interested to see what people say about this.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2022, 04:53 pm »

I have joined AudioCircle to find out more about GR's open baffle subs. None of the modern subs I have tried - REL, SVS, JL have been fast enough to keep up with my Altec A5's

I see lots of discussion about the GR OB subs used with Plannar and Electrostatic designs so I am hoping there is a chance they would be a solution to get some bass extension with vintage or modern horns
I can't think of a more "immediate" sounding speaker than the A5VOTT!  There is magic inside the alnico 288 driver.

The GR open baffles are one of the very, very few subs that can match the apparent speed of 'stats or compression drivers IME.  They sound great with Klipsch La Scalas.  I would go with triples to minimize cone excursion for the "fastest" bass.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2022, 05:42 pm »

The GR open baffles are one of the very, very few subs that can match the apparent speed of 'stats or compression drivers IME.  They sound great with Klipsch La Scalas.  I would go with triples to minimize cone excursion for the "fastest" bass.

One of the "very few subs" that will blend with VOTT must include Edgarhorn 18" seismic horn sub(s), but good luck finding one..

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2022, 08:59 pm »
Servo OB subs are the fastest around, period.  Much faster than a traditional box sub, that's for sure.