New DHT Type 31 Tube Preamp - Oliver Sayes and Thomas Mayer

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Because I am a crazy person I just bought this DHT preamp from Oliver Sayes (Sonic Oli):

It seems to be based on a Thomas Mayer design, found here:

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-tale-of-two-preamplifiers-part-2.html

I say I am crazy because I've never heard a type 31 tube before, anywhere.  I've heard many SET/DHT amps but never a type 31 tube.

While I'm waiting for it to get here, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has heard something like this before?  I've heard a DHT preamp in the past (the Vinnie Rossi 300b) and it sounded fabulous.  I'm hoping the Sayes/Mayer design is similar in quality.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New DHT Type 31 Tube Preamp - Oliver Sayes and Thomas Mayer
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2022, 11:56 pm »
Reading the datasheet it show its a very ancient tube from 1930 with a 2V filament  so your power amp should be very sensitive.
Seems a great sound tube, congratulations.

They say it can use other tube also:
Pretty much all directly heated triodes with an UX4 base are usable, for example: UX201A, UX112A, 26, 30, 31, 45, 50, 183/483 and 71A. But even indirectly heated triodes like the 27, 37, 56 or 76 could be used with  socket adaptor.
SMT your best beat for info are Kevin at Glow in The Dark.
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/amps.html
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2022, 01:00 am by FullRangeMan »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2022, 12:16 am »
I’m afraid I cannot help you. However, I coincidentally just traded emails with Mick at Supratek asking about his Cabernet DHT preamp. I haven’t decided yet if I want to try one, but I’ll look forward to your thoughts on this delicate beast.  :popcorn:

Michael

Tyson

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2022, 06:04 pm »
Reading the datasheet it show its a very ancient tube from 1930 with a 2V filament  so your power amp should be very sensitive.
Seems a great sound tube, congratulations.

They say it can use other tube also:
Pretty much all directly heated triodes with an UX4 base are usable, for example: UX201A, UX112A, 26, 30, 31, 45, 50, 183/483 and 71A. But even indirectly heated triodes like the 27, 37, 56 or 76 could be used with  socket adaptor.
SMT your best beat for info are Kevin at Glow in The Dark.
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/amps.html

Actually those other tubes can only be used in the special platform that Thomas built to be able to test these tubes because they all run at different voltages and have different rp.  But the cool thing is that after all the testing, 2 tubes emerged as best in preamp application, the 26 and the 31.  Reading between the lines, it seems like the 31 is the one that comes closest to his actual #1 tube, the 10y.  And I think the 10y premps he builds end up being around $7k for the least expensive option. 

I’m afraid I cannot help you. However, I coincidentally just traded emails with Mick at Supratek asking about his Cabernet DHT preamp. I haven’t decided yet if I want to try one, but I’ll look forward to your thoughts on this delicate beast.  :popcorn:

Michael

To be honest, I've actually been trying to snipe a good 6SN7 preamp from the used audio sites for a couple of months now, but nothing interesting came up, or if it did, it was way expensive.  So when the DHT preamp from a first rate builder/designer like Oliver and Thomas, I just had to take a chance.  I mentioned this to Oliver in an email (because he's built 6SN7 preamps in the past) and he basically dismissed those preamps as clearly inferior to a well done DHT design. 

Of course, I'm always skeptical about anything until I hear it in my own system.  But I have to admit, I'm more excited about this than I've been about any other piece of electronics in a long time. 

Wig

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2022, 06:45 pm »
@ Tyson

Congrats and you are in for treat!

I went from a wonderful sounding 6SN7 Pre a couple of years ago to a 2A3 DHT and dimensionality, tonality, clarity and "Realism" is just unbelievable...

Wig :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2022, 04:05 pm »
Tyson,

There are some similarly crazy audiophools out here who are wondering if your new DHT Type 31 has arrived, and how it sounds in your system.  :D

Michael

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2022, 05:09 pm »
Ah, sorry!  I totally forgot about this thread.  So what happened is I got it in and it was too noisy in my system with 97db efficient speakers plus a high gain tube amp in the mix.  So I sent it back and Oliver was super cool about giving me a full refund. 

I did get to listen to it for a bit and it was a great sounding piece.  I also took it to my local tube tech and we looked under the hood.  I have to say that Oliver's build quality is first rate, maybe the best built piece of gear I've had in my system just based on grounding, wire routing, and parts layout.  The circuit itself was just beautiful.  I wish it would have worked out. 

But, there is a positive end to the story.  Before I left his shop, my tube guy mentioned he had a transformer based volume control that he'd built out based on the Chapman and Bent designs.  And he let me take it home to try out in my upstairs system.  And it's perfect!  Super quiet and exceptional sound quality, plus a small form factor.  Win win win!  Needless to say I bought it from him immediately.  So, happy ending!

tybee

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2022, 08:27 pm »
Tyson,

I just noticed this discussion as I am awaiting a Type 42 amp from Oliver Sayes as reviewed on Glow in the Dark.  Oliver also mentioned to me that he prefers DHT preamps over 6SN7 preamps. While still waiting on the Type 42 amp, I snagged Terry Cain's 6SN7 preamp built by Eric Kingsberry of AudioTropic fame, and it is the only 6SN7 based preamp that Kingsberry built.  The Audiotropic Moebius sounds good with my Sayes Yamamoto 45 clone, so hope it is a match for the Type 42 amp. Like you, I normally listen with a Audiozone passive preamp.

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2022, 10:34 pm »
I think you'll be happy with it, Oliver does first rate work.

Freo-1

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2022, 10:59 pm »
Big fan of Thomas Mayer designs. I have a 6AH4 clone based on Thomas Mayer design.  Very happy with it.

My guess is you will love it.