Wiring Crossovers

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Wiring Crossovers
« on: 13 Jan 2022, 08:39 pm »
I'm beyond pulling <non existent> hair from my scalp in frustration over a speaker kit that I purchased a while back. The crossovers are pre-assembled. The wire connectors are a type I have no experience with. I get that one wire goes in the + socket and the other wire goes in the - socket. What I don't get is how to complete the *&^%$#@! circuit. I have tried it over and over and over and still get no music. How *&^%$#@! difficult can it be to complete the *&^%$#@! circuit?

I've assembled a GR Research speaker kit, a Meniscus Audio speaker kit, and a CSS-Audio speaker kit, so I'm not totally inexperienced. However, this particular kit has me in a rage.

Is there a YT video for idiots that shows me how to properly connect the wires to this kind of connector?

Photos:

mgalusha

Re: Wiring Crossovers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2022, 10:00 pm »
Use crimp ferrules, they make all the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE3CjZ0BUFo - good video and he demo's the various connection types, in particular to the type of terminals you are dealing with.

Kit from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJK2VNT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2022, 11:02 pm »
Don't you stick bare wire in slot on bottom and screw down to tighten? I can't see the top of the connector, but expect screws there.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2022, 11:04 pm »
how to properly connect the wires to this kind of connector?

You are making sure that you loosen the screw far enough to spread the metal tangs, right?  In your picture it appears that they're pretty tight so the wire wouldn't be between them.  Loosen that screw on the terminal and make sure you're inserting the wire between the metal where it crimps down. 

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2022, 11:11 pm »
It's a screw clamp. Look in the hole make sure it's open.
Twist the strands together tightly before insert into connector.
Pull on the wire to assure mech clamping.
Measure conductivity between the circuit part  that should be connected to output.
Or probe the whole speaker for that matter.  :lol:

Could be the preasembled XOs "ain't quite right"

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2022, 11:33 pm »
That’s a very helpful video. Thank you 🙏!

According to the video, these are the least desirable ones. To make matters worse, I’ve got stranded connecting wires which he identifies as most troublesome! No wonder I’m frustrated.

I’ll never buy a kit from 'that' vendor again (not one of the above vendors).

To others: Thank you for your suggestions. I initially (the first time) tried to attach the wire ends in the wrong position in the connectors, but did eventually figure out the correct way. Prior to snapping the photos, I didn't unscrew the tap screws.

I bought these Overnight Sensations as a gift for the son of our good friends. He's 22, and interested in audio, so I wanted to give him a nudge in the right direction. It never occurred to me that I'd have so much trouble putting them together. When I first received the kit, it was missing several pieces. I had to email the vendor to request them. Then, because I lacked time (and confidence), I asked the vendor to assemble the crossovers. I wasn't expecting these connectors, and I got zero instructions on how to connect the wires - stranded wires, no less.  :duh: :duh:
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2022, 08:10 am by mresseguie »

Sinnyone

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2022, 04:43 pm »
Does stranded wire really make a difference?  I use stranded almost all the time.  More flexible, easier to use, wont break under vibration.  I just tin the ends to keep them together and solid at a connection.