NX Studio + open baffle servo sub question

jlucas

NX Studio + open baffle servo sub question
« on: 9 Jan 2022, 11:47 pm »
Curious if those with this combo are using the high pass option on the Rythmik plate amp or not.  I was assuming this would be crossover quality issue.

I’m just starting to play with the settings on the plate amp.  Any been there and done that suggestions?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2022, 10:52 am by jlucas »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX Studio + open baffle servo sub question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2022, 04:33 pm »
Best way is to run the Studios full range and then bring the subs in underneath to 'fill in' where the Studio's roll off.  That can be anywhere between 50hz and 70hz, depending on your room.  The high pass filter in the amp is not very good and will definitely degrade the sound of a super high end speaker like the NX Studio.

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2022, 05:44 pm »
Best way is to run the Studios full range and then bring the subs in underneath to 'fill in' where the Studio's roll off.  That can be anywhere between 50hz and 70hz, depending on your room.  The high pass filter in the amp is not very good and will definitely degrade the sound of a super high end speaker like the NX Studio.

Yep, big +1. That's exactly what I do in regard to the NX Studio's. Way too good a speaker to let a filter get involved with what they have to offer. Run them full range blending the subs to your room and ear.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2022, 06:42 pm »
Another option is  to   take some of the  workload off the NQ  drivers in the  Studio's by building  a high quality inline  high pass filter  for the   amp driving the  Studio's.  The cap value will depend onthe  input inpedence of the    amp.
If you  don't  want to do the  inline filter then  shoot  a couple  measurements in your room  to  find  the -6db point of the  Studio's.  Adjust  sub  measurements  to match   that  number and dial in  phase to  combine the  subs/studio's a  "flat " response.

As mentioned above,   the high pass filter in the  A370  is not  recommended.

jay

Bluish

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2022, 10:24 pm »
Hey Jay,
I have a pair of GR Research X-Statiks, two Mirage self powered subs with a Dodd Audio Supertube Preamp (12volt) and I'm building a Folsom TDA7297 amp and was wondering if you had a source for design of the inline high pass filter? Thanks for helping me design this.

Ive been thrilled with the GR Research speaker and preamp comb - working on the Folsom Amp and digital source is new area of upgrading.

Best regards,
Chris

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2022, 07:23 pm »
It's just  an inline  cap   ,  it'll be  a small value    and you  can use  an online  calculator  to determine that  value....  you just enter  the  desired -3 db point and the  amps input inpedence, it'll give  you  a  vaulue.
Use a  very high quality  cap  for  these  (( you  need one on  each  channel.

Depending on how  Gary  has   your pre destup, you    could also    just   filter  2 of the ouitputs  so they  high pass the   signal  to the   Folsom...  or,  add   the  caps to the   Folsom  inouts.

Going  either  of those  2  ways would eliminate  the need for more  connectors/cables going to and from  an   inline   filter.

I've run  my Dodd pre  and  the   Folsom 7297   ,   it's a great  combo.  In fact,  at  some point  I need to dig    that  gear  ouit  and    give it  a  go  with  the  Super 7's as I've never   run   the combo  on them.

Have a look here:
https://electronicbase.net/high-pass-filter-calculator/

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2022, 09:45 pm »
Hey Jay,
I have a pair of GR Research X-Statiks, two Mirage self powered subs with a Dodd Audio Supertube Preamp (12volt) and I'm building a Folsom TDA7297 amp and was wondering if you had a source for design of the inline high pass filter? Thanks for helping me design this.

Ive been thrilled with the GR Research speaker and preamp comb - working on the Folsom Amp and digital source is new area of upgrading.

Best regards,
Chris

With that amp, I wouldn't worry about high passing the main speakers too much. That amp just doesn't have that much power.

Bluish

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2022, 05:11 pm »
Dear Jay and Danny,
You both have inspired me so much on my speaker and equipment journey over the last couple of years. You are my audio heros and I love the short high quality signal path approach.

Your dedication to the community should warrant you each a statue somewhere.

I thought the high pass going into the Folsom would be beneficial as with little power it would eliminate some of the bass load and thereby freeing up more power for the high passed signal. Did I get that right?

I used the calculator and it looks like for an RC high pass a 10k ohm and 0.1uF cap would get me a 159hz f(c) which looks like a close match to the XStatiks roll off. I have a Jupiter copper foil paper and wax of this value and have had success with Vishay naked resistor of this value in the Dodd Preamp. Maybe I make it a switchable option in the Folsom build. Sound about right?

A quick question is opinion on high quality caps. Danny you suggested Jupiter copper foil for Dodd Preamp, are there any others to keep an eye out for? I’ve seen some Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold foil (some with EVO some with oil) any guidance? Also Miflex any particular series?

Are there a top 4 or 5 that come to mind? Thank you for the input.

Best regards, Chris

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2022, 02:48 pm »
I'd let those X-Statiks play down a little lower.

The Miflex Copper foil caps are a good choice too.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2022, 03:55 pm »
The X-Statik roll off begins around 50-55 Hz.
So a cap value of 0.22uF will give you a -3dB of ~72Hz
Which rolls off most of the two lowest octaves, and would be a better value to start with.

And I second the Miflex copper, especially the smaller KPCU03 caps. they tend to be a less veiled over the Jupiter caps. The 250V versions are also about half fhe size of the 600V versions.

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2022, 07:49 pm »
Hey Chris
Remember  too that if you  set  this up on one of the  outputs on the Dodd pre,   the roll off will be  different on  every amp   that it is connected to...  the roll off will be  dependent on  the input ipedence of  the amp connected.

If you  go this route,  pretty sure  you  can   clean up the signal path  into the Folsom and eliminate the input caps assuming it will always be used  with the  Dodd

jay