History on Jolida SJ/JD 801A ?

Parnelli777

« on: 29 Mar 2005, 10:56 pm »
Recently acquired used SJ 801A, I'm absolutely loving this thing. I am curious as to the history of the 801, mine is older as it has the bias pots underneath the chassis. How does the newer 801 compare to the older units? When did the 801 originally release?

Internally speaking, I'm wondering if any fundamental changes other than relocating the bias adjust.

I am planning at least a partial re-wire in the not too distant future.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2005, 11:42 pm »
Recently acquired used SJ 801A, I'm absolutely loving this thing. I am curious as to the history of the 801, mine is older as it has the bias pots underneath the chassis. How does the newer 801 compare to the older units? When did the 801 originally release?

The internal depend on just how old this piece is. I recently finished modifying a unit that even had a choke regulated power supply. The circuit was quite different.
 In regards to sonic, the older units sounded great but could, at times, have slight noise at idle. Nothing you could hear at even the lowest listening levels.

I'm absolutely loving this thing

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Just upgrading internal wire will not yield too much improvement. If anything, upgrade the coupling caps and critical signal path resistors such as the grid stops with a good carbon unit and the emitter resistors with some Mills. Then there is the tubes........

Parnelli777

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2005, 02:13 pm »
Thanks for the info and advice. It seems there's not much out there as far as reviews, etc. on this amp. It's good to see a dealer like yourself doing these mods and standing behind what seems like a great value in audio with the Jolida amps.