Amplifier question for XLS-Encore owners

Poleary

Amplifier question for XLS-Encore owners
« on: 4 Jan 2022, 01:42 pm »
An amplifier question for current or former XL-S Encore owners.  I ordered the upgraded parts kit.

As I am building my XL-S Encores, I have begun the research into what amplifier to get for them. It’s quite a bit overwhelming.  For those of you who have had or have the XL-S, what amplifier would you recommend?  From what I am reading and what I have learned from the internet people, I understand the choice of amplifier type as well as the manufacturer can alter (color) the sound from the speakers.  It is also my understanding that the XL-S speakers as built would have a neutral and flat sound (no enhancement in either top or bottom ends of sound spectrum).  Sorry still learning audiophile word explanations.  With that being said, I have the following requirements/limitations:

1. Speakers will be in the living room.  This room measures 13.5’ x 21’.  Ceiling is sloped with height along one long wall of 8' and along the other long wall of 11'.
2. Speakers will sit on a credenza on one of the short walls.  Can’t have stands as there are two doors on that wall. TV between speakers and behind on wall, about 20” behind.  Speakers about 6’ apart.  Listening position (couch) about 8-10 feet from front of speakers.
3. The living room is a shared space so I have to be careful of cables and too many black boxes.
4. For reason above, I am interested in an integrated amplifier.  Multi-function in one box is better.
5. Most of my music is either digital or streamed with a small number of CDs.  I will connect the TV and Blue Ray player to the amplifier.  My Roku box has my streaming apps.  Digital music files played from phone or laptop.  I don't see me using a turntable but I also won't say never.  Movies will also be played through the amplifier and speakers.
6. Would like to stay under $1000 if possible.
7. I have music from and stream all genres but the majority of my listening is from classical, choral and opera.  For this reason I feel I will need the full spectrum.
8. I would like to add a small sub-woofer.  Possibly only one.
9. No HiFi shops in my town, only BestBuy so can't really test anything.
10. In my internet wanderings, I landed on the Cambridge Audio amplifiers as possibly being good candidates.  Any thoughts on these?

Hopefully this will give enough information to help with my question.  Thank you in advance for any ideas or information you can offer.

P

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Amplifier question for XLS-Encore owners
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2022, 01:57 pm »
Since you want to integrate audio and video your best bet is a good A/V receiver.  I would recommend Marantz.
If it was audio only I would suggest other gear.  I haven’t heard Cambridge gear but I haven’t read anything bad about them.

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2022, 03:30 pm »
I run mine with a Denon X4700. They are excellent for HT and streaming. I was running Amazon music two channel with two subs over the weekend. They sounded very very good. Depending on the crossover parts used they do take some time to break in. But that 300-400 hour mark mine really start to open up.

I bought my AVR from accessoriesforbless.com

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2022, 04:51 pm »
I've had both Dennon and Marantz over the years. I've been using the Matantz SR series of AVRs for the past 13 years. I tried an NR series AVR once but took it back the next day for an SR. The NR didn't have enough juice to perform well in my living room. It sounded anemic. Until I bought an ARCAM pre/pro last spring I had three different Marantz SR series AVRs in different systems; an SR5007 in the living room, an SR6009 in my wife's system, and an SR7008 for HT duties in my man cave 2 channel/HT system. After putting the ARCAM in my man cave system, I moved the SR7008 into the living room system and retired the SR5007.

The current Marantz SR models are: SR5015 - $1,299, SR6015 - $1,999, SR7015 - $2,799, and SR8015 - $3,799.

I bought all mine from the Magnolia center in Best Buy. The only one I bought as a current model was the SR5007. After that I learned to have them check their computer to see what new stock they still had from previous models (only the last two numbers change between models in the  same series.) When I bought the SR7008 the current model was the SR7010. The SR7008 was still brand new in the box but because it was an older model they sold it to me for half price. Since the Magnolia Center is now owned by Best Buy, any Best Buy should be able to do this whether they have a Magnolia Center in house or not.

Any model that ends in 12 or higher (SR5012 - SR8012) will handle all current streaming options including ROON. I mention this because I use ROON and neither my SR7008 nor SR6009 are ROON compatible so I have to have a ROON endpoint in front of the SR7008. My wife's system doesn't use ROON so her 6009 doesn't need an ROON compatible endpoint. Models ending in 12 or higher are ROON compatible so the separate endpoint is not needed.

freefall-fast

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2022, 03:52 am »
I have the Denon X-4500, when it works, its works great, however it has been in the shop 3 times for warranty work, so I question the quality of the build parts.

Vince in TX

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2022, 05:08 am »
I have a Marantz SR8015 in my theater and love it!   It's powering my A/V-1RS surrounds and my Bowers & Wilkins ceiling speakers in a 7.3.4 ATMOS configuration.   I run pre-amp to a pair of Odyssey Kismet amps for the front channels.   The reviews on this receiver are phenomenal, although I'll admit that it seemed a bit underpowered (clipping at higher volumes) when powering the full 11 channels through it.   The sound system really started to shine when I added the Odyssey amps.

My previous receiver in my Home Theater was a Marantz SR6012, which is still in use in my game room (which was my theater until I built a dedicated room).  It's running 7.1.2 through stock Klipsch speakers.   I didn't realize how bad those Klipsch sounded relatively speaking until I went with GR Research designs.

Poleary

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2022, 11:26 am »
Thanks everybody. I’m going to take a close look at these manufacturers and models.  I really appreciate the help.  - P

mflaming

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2022, 04:07 pm »
I’m also in the market for a HT receiver to run 3.1. Don’t have room for surround, but would like to improve center dialogue clarity. I’m currently running PCM out from TV through toslink optical to my two chan receiver.

Marantz has a two channel receiver NR1200 with HDMI inputs, sub outs, phono input, network and Bluetooth that you may consider. I expect you would get superior stereo performance and still use for 2.1 A/V.

I don’t honestly know the difference between PCM digital out and HDMI. Maybe someone can comment on that. I think the main difference is how and where the digital signal is converted.

corndog71

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2022, 06:25 pm »
I got my Marantz NR1403 receiver seven years ago and really enjoyed its slightly warm but gutsy sound.  A few years ago I was looking to replace it with something that was 4K compatible and got a Denon AVR-X2500H.  It was a decent enough receiver though it developed a slight buzz after some time.  Eventually the buzz became so pronounced that I couldn’t take it anymore and dug out the Marantz.   The Marantz once again impressed me with a more dynamic sound and I’m still using it today in my living room.  I don’t yet have a 4K tv so it’s not an issue.  I know no company is perfect.  I thought Denon made good products but I was really disappointed with the 2500.  It’s a shame receiver specs no longer give a full picture like they used to. 

trianglezerius

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2022, 08:01 pm »
I been reading alot of reviews, posts, and New Record Day videos on You Tube and the consensus is they deserve more then receivers and not cheap gear. I plan on looking at the Encores this spring so I been researching it.

Vince in TX

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2022, 08:33 pm »
I been reading alot of reviews, posts, and New Record Day videos on You Tube and the consensus is they deserve more then receivers and not cheap gear. I plan on looking at the Encores this spring so I been researching it.

At ~$3800, I don't think the SR8015 could be considered "cheap" (and the reviews show it's right up there with some of the more expensive components), BUT I did need to add some additional amps for it to fully flex.    :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2022, 08:47 pm »

The reason for the HT receiver recommendations is the OP said he wanted to be able to listen to music and watch movies. Movies mean multi-channel. Most Blu-Ray/DVD players don't have analog multi-channel outputs, only HDMI. This makes an HT receiver necessary.

For music listening only, an HT receiver wouldn't be my choice either.

JMW73

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2022, 09:00 pm »
The reason for the HT receiver recommendations is the OP said he wanted to be able to listen to music and watch movies. Movies mean multi-channel. Most Blu-Ray/DVD players don't have analog multi-channel outputs, only HDMI. This makes an HT receiver necessary.

For music listening only, an HT receiver wouldn't be my choice either.

Movies don't "mean multi-channel"... but multi channel is available.  Sorry to be pedantic, but a 2.1 system would work as well IF the OP doesn't desire multi-channel.  And the result will be better stereo fidelity.

IF you choose to go 2.1, many TVs have optical out so you can get a PCM digital signal that a stereo DAC can handle.  And if your TV doesn't you can always convert HDMI... PM me if you want more info on that because this is getting beyond the OP.

There are lots of options in your price range.  Marantz makes good gear; you mentioned Cambridge and they are good as well.  I, personally, like Odyssey Audio (on these boards) but would be pushing your budget for new. You can get some killer Adcom, NAD, and others on the used market and can often sell for similar to what you bought it for when you upgrade.  The classic Adcom 545 or 555 amp would sound awesome with these (you'd need a DAC and Pre, but you'd have room in your budget).  (EDIT: scratch the Adcom idea, you want a one box solution... if you don't get a HT receiver, you'd need an integrated with a DAC.  These exist, but limit your choices).

Poleary

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2022, 12:12 am »
You both make great points and something I hadn’t thought about. The plan is to only go 2.1. My two speakers and a subwoofer. I like simple 😎. I looked on the back of my TV and blue ray player and both have optical outs.

JMW73

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2022, 12:39 am »
You both make great points and something I hadn’t thought about. The plan is to only go 2.1. My two speakers and a subwoofer. I like simple 😎. I looked on the back of my TV and blue ray player and both have optical outs.

I’d connect the Roku and DVD to the TV via HDMI. Then, run optical out to your DAC input on the hypothetical amplifier (you’ll have to set the optical out option to PCM or it won’t work). Then, no matter what input you are using on the TV, your amp will see the audio and you won’t have to switch anything on the amp. This makes control easier. This would be very different if you were using an AVR.

When I have some time tomorrow I’ll look and see what amplifiers fit your spec and would sound good with the GRs.

corndog71

JMW73

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2022, 01:51 am »
Another option.

https://outlawaudio.com/shop/stereo-receivers/56-rr2160mkii-stereo-receiver.html

I didn’t think of that one, and would probably be the best bang for the buck!  Certainly the most power in a one box solution at this price.

I’d also consider the Marantz PM6007 or the Cambridge CXA61. All three of these would have optical inputs and sub outs.

Vince in TX

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2022, 02:14 am »
Movies don't "mean multi-channel"...

Sacrilege!    :lol:

Poleary

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jan 2022, 02:18 am »
The Outlaw certainly looks like it would work. Beautiful too.  I had not heard of them.

corndog71

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jan 2022, 03:38 am »
I still have an old Outlaw receiver.  It’s in storage but I just couldn’t part with it.