New Digital Preamp Questions

RonN5

New Digital Preamp Questions
« on: 2 Jan 2022, 06:08 pm »
Three questions, which maybe have already been answered and I can’t find:

1.  Maximum output voltages for the balanced and unbalanced preamp out.

2.  What are the control options handled by the remote. ie, inputs, volume, balance, etc.

3.  Physical size of the preamp.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Re: New Digital Preamp Questions
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2022, 04:53 am »
1. & 2. Call Frank at AVA.

3. Likely the same size as the DAC MK5  https://avahifi.com/collections/digital-audio/products/dac-mk-5

Three questions, which maybe have already been answered and I can’t find:

2.  What are the control options handled by the remote. ie, inputs, volume, balance, etc.

RonN5

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2022, 03:16 pm »
I'm hoping that Dan or Frank will reply in this space as I'm sure that others who are considering this preamp would like to know the same information as it is not listed on the website.

Also I would like to also ask is whether the digital preamp has a low gain setting similar to the other VA preamps.

whitebird

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2022, 05:23 pm »
I may be able to help.  I have been listening to the Digital Preamp/DAC since last Thursday.

Per the owner's manual:

RCA outputs
The RCA outputs have a full-scale level of 5.6 volts zero-to-peak at maximum volume. These outputs are designed to drive loads of 2kΩ or higher.

XLR outputs
The XLR outputs have a full-scale level of 11.2 volts zero-to-peak at maximum volume. The XLR outputs are designed to drive balanced loads of 4kΩ or higher or differential loads of 2kΩ or higher per hot/cold output.

While the unit’s XLR outputs are balanced, they are not “transformer-like.” This means if you connect the hot side of the XLR as the signal and connect the the cold side to ground, the net level will be halved and some differential advantages will be lost. If you wish to connect the unit to an unbalanced XLR input, we recommend you use the RCA outputs instead with appropriate cable adapters.

Remote controls volume, screen brightness, and input selection.  Touch screen on the unit controls input and volume.  No balance control.

Approximately 17" W x 13" D x 4" H

RonN5

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2022, 07:36 pm »
Whitebird…. Thanks a ton….I’m assuming, no gain control?

So after a few days of listening, what are your impressions?
What preamp did you replace?

whitebird

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2022, 09:40 pm »
You are correct -- no gain control just volume.

Not sure how it sounds, I am still assessing.  I like to let equipment settle in for a bit (it has been playing 24/7 since I received it).  I will say that feeding it cleaned up data from the Denafrips Gaia does make a positive difference. 

RonN5

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2022, 11:41 pm »
Thanks whitebird…we look forward to your feedback.

Savheagle

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2022, 09:02 pm »
I have had the digital preamp since November 10...ordered it with the Set 400 amp.  Love both.  Waiting on Salk Beats to finish so I can go get them in Pontiac.  Using a Bluesound node2i to stream to the DAC.  I have never had great equipment before so not much of a point of reference to give you other than what I have heard from other folks systems.  Looking forward to getting the Beats....