Tube amp with headphones?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Tube amp with headphones?
« on: 30 Dec 2021, 04:42 am »
I have an EL84 based OddWatt Podwatt integrated 5wpc dual mono block amp that I’m wondering about using as a headphone amp for cans with an impedance of 32 ohms and sensitivity of 125dB. The amp only has speaker binding posts, no headphone jack. My thought is to use a pair of cables that are terminated with banana plugs on the amp end and 3.5mm TS connectors on the headphone end. One pair of cables for each channel.

Any thoughts on the feasibility and/or possible issues?

Thanks,

Mike

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Tube amp with headphones?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2021, 05:04 pm »
Keep in mind that you are converting from 4-wire down to 3-wire. Use a multimeter and check to see if the negative output on each amp channel is tied together (either a continuity setting, or you'll see a resistance measurement of something like 0.1 ohm). If that's a yes, then you can use an adapter. If no, then you'll need to reterminate your headphones for "balanced" use.

Tubefly

• Motorcycles, Music, and Trout
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2021, 07:35 pm »
I have an EL84 based OddWatt Podwatt...

Any thoughts on the feasibility and/or possible issues?

Thanks,

Mike

Call or email Bruce? He is a frequent visitor here:

Best, Alan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2021, 07:46 pm »
I see no probs and you always can change the OPT just in case, just avoid use the unbalanced banana plug, the balanced 4 poles surprise me due the great sound  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2021, 09:40 pm »
Also, what impedance are your headphones?  Most hifi amps are designed to drive 8 or 16 ohm speakers, so if your headphones are 32 ohm or 200 ohm, you might need to make adjustments to your OPT''s.

hilde45

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2021, 09:49 pm »
Please ignore if this derails the topic, but I wonder if folks have had any good experiences with tube headphone amps also doing duty as preamps? If so, what did you use? Asking for a friend with Grado 225s and Senn 650's.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2021, 10:13 pm »
Also, what impedance are your headphones?  Most hifi amps are designed to drive 8 or 16 ohm speakers, so if your headphones are 32 ohm or 200 ohm, you might need to make adjustments to your OPT''s.
He said 32 ohms.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2021, 10:32 pm »
Call or email Bruce? He is a frequent visitor here:

Best, Alan

I've emailed Bruce at his support at OddWatt audio email address. I'm not sure if this email address is still active since the phone number on the website is not in service. I'll try him on DIY audio projects, thanks.

Tubefly

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2022, 04:03 pm »
I'll try him on DIY audio projects, thanks.
:thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2022, 10:25 pm »
:thumb:

Unlike AC, I couldn't find a member list or PM ability. I should have the cable in to try this later this week. I'll start with the volume at zero and slowly increase. Guess it will work or it won't.

Tubefly

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2022, 12:36 pm »
Unlike AC, I couldn't find a member list or PM ability.

Mike, I should have mention that he goes by gofar99. If you created a profile you can use the following link to PM him.

https://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=56

Best, Alan

I sent him a PM too

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2022, 05:19 pm »
Mike, I should have mention that he goes by gofar99. If you created a profile you can use the following link to PM him.

https://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=56

Best, Alan

I sent him a PM too

Thanks

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2022, 05:26 pm »
Update:

Tried it. Didn't work. So the search continues for a new headphone amp that has the fidelity I want, including no noise at listening levels when the music is paused, can be fed directly from my PS Audio DiresctStream DAC, and will work with all of my headphones.

The headphone amp in my PS Audio BHK preamp has the fidelity I want but was designed for use with high impedance, low sensitivity headphones and as such, the noise floor is too high to be silent with low impedance, high sensitivity cans.

I received a Shiit Audio Valhalla 2 in over the weekend. It only has 6 hours on it so isn't broken in yet but doesn't appear promising in either fidelity or noise floor.

I have a Jotunheim 2 on order but it will be at least the end of Feb before it arrives.

The Jotunheim is solid state though. I'm not sure there is a tube headphone amp out there that can deliver the fidelity of the BHK and be dead quiet.

Anybody know of one or more that fit my criteria?

Thanks

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2022, 05:42 pm »
Have you taken a look at  https://wooaudio.com/ instead of converting an amp?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2022, 06:29 pm »
Have you taken a look at  https://wooaudio.com/ instead of converting an amp?

I haven't checked them out, thanks.

The Oddwatt was the only amp I tried to convert since I already had it sitting on a shelf.

The Valhalla 2 and Jotunheim 2 from Schiit are headphone amps.

On line I've looked at the Decware Taboo MK4, Manley Absolute Headphone Amp, and Bottlehead Mainline. Unfortunately I can't listen to, let alone compare these.

I have been able to listen to headphone amps from Swan Song Audio since they are here in Tulsa. So far their amps come closest to what I'm looking for. They are working on developing two new headphone amps, one SS and one tube, for Axpona. I've listened to the prototype SS and it is very promising. Tony is still tweaking on it to get the noise floor to zero. I'll be able to hear the tube version when it's close to ready. I'm strongly leaning toward Swan Song Audio.

It's just that before spending that kind of money (they Swan Songs are likely to end up a little more than the Manley) I'd like to know I've made the best choice for me. I know that means listening for myself. I'm willing to order in amps as long as they have an in-home trial period. Since the Mainline is a DIY kit, the only way I'd be able to audition it would be if somebody close to me has one they'd let me listen to. The Decware has a 30 day in-home trial but I can't find out about Manley.

I'll add Woo to my research list.

Thanks

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2022, 08:00 pm »
At one time I had a Woo WA6. First generation. Used it with AKG 701's and T1. Didn't seem to play well with either headphone.  Worked well with some Senn's I had. A lot has changed since then though. The Decware should work well.
I'm doing some scouting for a new headphone and amp setup so I'm looking forward to seeing your results. Good Luck!

RonP

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2022, 08:43 pm »

I have been able to listen to headphone amps from Swan Song Audio since they are here in Tulsa. So far their amps come closest to what I'm looking for. They are working on developing two new headphone amps, one SS and one tube, for Axpona. I've listened to the prototype SS and it is very promising. Tony is still tweaking on it to get the noise floor to zero. I'll be able to hear the tube version when it's close to ready. I'm strongly leaning toward Swan Song Audio.

Mike,

I would think with that type of line of communication to a local source, it'll be well worth the wait. Possibly you can influence the build/evolution of the product as well.

good luck!

Ron

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2022, 03:27 am »
Mike,

I would think with that type of line of communication to a local source, it'll be well worth the wait. Possibly you can influence the build/evolution of the product as well.

good luck!

Ron

Ron,

Definitely going to wait on Tony. No decisions will be made until after the Swan Song Audio amps are done and ready for prime time.

Mike

Delta77

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2022, 06:00 am »
Quicksilver..

Has a wonderful HP amp for around $1,000..

http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/headphone-amplifier/

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2022, 03:02 pm »
Quicksilver..

Has a wonderful HP amp for around $1,000..

http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/headphone-amplifier/

Gave them a call and was told the noise floor wouldn’t be low enough for the sensitivity of my headphones