Just ordered some X4s

Bingenito

Just ordered some X4s
« on: 27 Dec 2021, 08:20 pm »
Eta 6 weeks or so right now so plan to begin the breakin process and then evaluate. Very impressed with the staff at Spatial Audio, they really take the time to discuss your room, gear, distance from speakers, music preferences and taste in sound and made a recommendation.

Regardless of what I end up thinking of the speakers once I break them in… I really value the investment in time and the level of detail they go to in order to match a product to my usage. Current speakers are Alta Alecs which I love but want to compare to a passive dipole design having owned magnapan 3.6rs before and loving a large dipole but not loving the lack of dynamics without subs.

Anyway more to come

Bingenito

Re: Just ordered some X4s
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2021, 11:43 am »
Last night I spent a few hours reading the entire Spatial circle and it seems that most X series owners have a similar room layout and almost exactly what I have in my room.

Room is 18 wide x 30 deep x 8.5 high. Speakers are 4ft from the front wall and 4.5 from the side walls. I sit 10’ 9” away. Initially I was a little concerned about listening distance but seems like most of you sit 9.5 to 11ft away. My toe in is also about 16 degrees which seems to align to what most of you are doing. That said it probably makes sense that I mark where the Altas are with tape and drop the X4s in the same spot for burn in, fine adjustments and then a speaker comparison.

abomwell

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2021, 12:14 pm »
Wow... looks like a great room! 

abomwell

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2021, 12:30 pm »
For kicks, you could also try placing the chair 38% into your room from the back wall, as recommend by Ethan Winer, and the speakers 29% into the room from the front wall, as recommended by ASC for subwoofer placement, and have a listening distance around 9' to the speakers.

Bingenito

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2021, 01:32 pm »
Thanks on the room! I am familiar with the %s you recommended but unfortunately the area behind my seating  is a massive open wrap around staircase and hallway. Maybe I can rig a platform and be like Tommy Lee on his drum kit  :lol:

abomwell

« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2021, 01:43 pm »
Oh well, just a thought. I'd still trade our rooms any day!

Bingenito

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2021, 02:00 pm »
Well the more that I watch Acoustic Fields on YouTube the more that I realize that my room and most are the biggest constraint which is what lead me to order the X4 for demo. Dennis the owner of Acoustic Fields and Clayton sound very much alike in terms of the room sound, how to minimize that and the lengths that we must go to in order to do this. To me the room and speaker interaction is logically the most material factor and then gear, cables, etc. 

I just wish that my room was 3x its size and I would fit the AF carbon tech. One day… just not today.

Mr. Big

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2021, 02:13 pm »
The room is the sound, like a concert hall, each has its own sonic signature. Severance Hall makes the sound of the Cleveland Orch. a sound, unlike other Orch. Care in the room acoustics is as important as the gear you use. Great speakers in a poor room will never have the full potential of the speakers or the gear you invested in. I rather listen to headphones than a speakers system in a bad room, you would have better sound through the headphones to enjoy your music.

abomwell

« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2021, 02:16 pm »
To me the room and speaker interaction is logically the most material factor and then gear, cables, etc. 

Agreed 100%. 

Bingenito

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2021, 02:21 pm »
A historic day… 3 audiophiles agree on a public forum. Lets quit while we are ahead :)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2021, 05:35 pm »
What brand are those acoustic treatments?  They look very cool.

Bingenito

« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2021, 05:45 pm »
Thanks! GIK alpha panels and corner traps. You cant see in the photo but I have GIK monster traps at first reflection points.

The difference before and after the treatments is significant. Before at around 75db the room sound would be so apparent that I would not turn it up. Now the same volume on the preamp and it sounds much quieter as I am getting more direct sound and much less room boom.

The X4 is theoretically to be the icing on the cake… at least that is my intention.

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2021, 05:48 pm »
A historic day… 3 audiophiles agree on a public forum. Lets quit while we are ahead :)

I disagree -- let's keep going. :lol:

Bingenito

« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2021, 05:52 pm »
Early B is trying to start the “great cable debate of 2022”  :lol:

Bingenito

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2022, 02:25 am »
The X4s should be arriving next week. Looking forward to this big time!

Bingenito

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2022, 07:05 pm »
And so it begins! X4s arrived.

After reading countless treads on break-in and having prepared myself for what might be No Bass and harsh treble I get none of that at all. Playing music with deep electronic bass now to break them in at like 95DB and my house is shaking. Listened to a few tracks of reference recordings after a rough placement where every other speakers have worked best and guess what, the X4s work there as well because the room dictates it.

So while speaker break in is very real I could listen for hours as is and it should only get better. MSB DAC and 2 power supplies are headed my way with Network renderer as well.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2022, 07:19 pm »
Looking good!

:thumb:

George

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2022, 08:46 pm »
So while speaker break in is very real I could listen for hours as is and it should only get better.

Very nice!  Congrats on the improved sound :D

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2022, 09:47 pm »
They look wonderful and should get better sounding with time & use. If you get the itch to sell them however, I'M INTERESTED In BUYING!!  Ha, Ha, Happy Listening friend!

Bingenito

« Reply #19 on: 7 Mar 2022, 10:05 pm »
Thanks guys I am very pleased. Spatial delivered on their time estimate and sound.

Tonight is going to be a good time to chill and take it all in. Special thanks to Cloud for being a cool dude and helping me select the X4!