Does the Deep Freeze Change Your Listening Mood?

Mag

Does the Deep Freeze Change Your Listening Mood?
« on: 27 Dec 2021, 02:46 pm »
    Here on the Prairie we are in a Deep Freeze until Jan. 2 where we get some relief.
Does the extreme cold make you want to cozy up in front of the stereo and listen to music or nothing at all?

I have to work today but I have the next two days off. So I plan to wrap myself in a blanket and lay in bed while listening with my wireless ear buds. Though my main rig sounds much better with heavy bass, tower speakers, I won't be able to keep my feet warm. And when your feet are cold you're not thinking about the music but your cold feet. :smoke:

twitch54

Re: Does the Deep Freeze Change Your Listening Mood?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2021, 07:33 pm »
So, Santa didn't bring you socks this year ??   :D

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2021, 07:44 pm »
Without a doubt, winter months here in the north are Hi-Fi prime time. Late spring, summer, and fall when the days are longer and temps are better we tend to get outside a lot more.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2021, 07:47 pm »
I love living in Colorado.  Even though it's colder in the winter, it's almost always sunny.  And, since it's low humidity, even the cold days are not bad like they would be someplace like Chicago (or any other place with higher humidity). 

MttBsh

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2021, 07:58 pm »
Seattle is in a deep freeze this week, down to 16 degrees last night which is very unusual for the area, snow on the ground, sun in the sky. A bit of a shock after being in Puerto Vallarta last week - except for the sun in the sky part. Been sitting by the fire listening to music since sunup, never sounded better!

mav52

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2021, 11:42 pm »
Deep freeze, please send some to us in central Fl. Its freaking 80 here. And I mowed the grass today.  But the system sounded great inside LOL

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2021, 01:19 am »
I enjoy listening to music on warm summer nights. Not so much in cold weather.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2021, 01:49 am »
I know the feeling MttBsh, I'm only a couple hours south in Vancouver and it capped out at 28 today. Days like today make me wish I had a room full of tube gear. Who needs a fireplace when you could have a fire hazard. Things to strive for I guess...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2021, 02:09 am »
I would say so, when the weather's 100 degrees below zero trudgin' across the tundra (mile after mile) isn't so much fun.
That's when it's time to stay indoors and put on an old Zappa album.
I just got done listening to the new remastered 200 Motels and the popping cork noise in 7 Provocative Squats was worth the price of admission right there.
He was a silly man.

VinceT

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2021, 02:12 am »
Deep freeze, please send some to us in central Fl. Its freaking 80 here. And I mowed the grass today.  But the system sounded great inside LOL

I don't anticipate too much sympathy headed your way  :lol:

Mag

« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2021, 06:19 am »

I recall when I drove taxi picking up a business man from the airport from Florida. He said it was something like 80 degrees Fahrenheit to -40 Fahrenheit (I don't remember exactly how cold it was but that's in the ballpark). That was a real shocker to him, such a drastic change in temperature. :o

Mag

« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2021, 06:29 am »
So, Santa didn't bring you socks this year ??   :D

Then main rig is in the basement (so I can contain the sound, I play it loud) of my old house built in 1902 with poor insulation. I can turn the floor heater on but that usually kicks the Breaker switch with all the stereo gear on that Breaker. Socks will help but when it's this cold I can feel the cold right through the walls.

Someday when I have enough cash in the bank I will putting new siding an insulation around the exterior of the house. :smoke:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2021, 07:06 am »
I know the feeling MttBsh, I'm only a couple hours south in Vancouver and it capped out at 28 today. Days like today make me wish I had a room full of tube gear. Who needs a fireplace when you could have a fire hazard. Things to strive for I guess...

I'm about 90 miles south of you in Beaver country. Pretty much the same weather as Vancouver. We got hit with about 12" of snow over two days. Fortunately for me and my toes, I do have all tube gear (and love it).

I put on a few of my XRCDs that haven't been played in ages, and kicked back to enjoy the music.

twitch54

« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2021, 02:49 pm »
    I can turn the floor heater on but that usually kicks the Breaker switch with all the stereo gear on that Breaker.

well there's the first area that needs to be addressed !

Chewbacca

« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2021, 06:04 pm »
I'm from the Milwaukee area, so it gets cold here. Currently, 25° with 82% humidity... So it feels a lot colder than 25°! But I humidify my house since the heat takes it completely away in the winter, so it stays around 45% in the house, compared to around 65+% in the summer. Less humidity sounds clearly better to me... Plus without really spending any time outside, winter is the HiFi central in my house! BUT, I can only go for about 1-2 hours before the heat kicks in for about 30 minutes, which nearly doubles the floor noise :lol:

SET Man

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2022, 02:00 am »
Hey!

I do like listening to music in winter than in summer for sure. With windows closed in winter my room is quieter, unlike in summer when I put my winder a/c unit which can have hard time keeping up with the heat from my tubed system. And not to mention the main line voltage drop during hot days of summer also.

Well, it is 25*F right now here in NYC, perfect night to fire up my Bel Canto 854 SET amp... the glow from those 845 tubes are like fireplace making me feel nice and cozy.

Buddy 

harley1952

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2022, 04:27 am »
deleted, as when I came back and read it  this morning it sounded stupid.
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2022, 09:50 am by harley1952 »

richidoo

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2022, 04:48 pm »
deleted, as when I came back and read it  this morning it sounded stupid.

Did your weather change your mood?  :D

decal

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2022, 04:58 pm »
    Here on the Prairie we are in a Deep Freeze until Jan. 2 where we get some relief.
Does the extreme cold make you want to cozy up in front of the stereo and listen to music or nothing at all?

I have to work today but I have the next two days off. So I plan to wrap myself in a blanket and lay in bed while listening with my wireless ear buds. Though my main rig sounds much better with heavy bass, tower speakers, I won't be able to keep my feet warm. And when your feet are cold you're not thinking about the music but your cold feet. :smoke:

:wtf:Got socks?

harley1952

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jan 2022, 09:34 pm »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: