Homage to Frank Zappa

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Homage to Frank Zappa
« on: 23 Dec 2021, 11:45 am »
Frank Vincent Zappa (21Dec1940 – 04Dec1993)
Frank started in the 1950s as drummer in the high school.
Also started writing classical music, did not used any drugs, only coffee, cigars and a radioactive plaque in the nose, was a politicized musician and was said considered a political career.

Famous unbound avowed FZ fans >
Steve Vai
John Zorn
Alice Cooper
Tommy Iommy
John Frusciante
System of a Down all the band

In 1967 Frank created his first record/production company Bizzare Records, in 1969 created Straight Records to mainstream artists. Considered a genius of music, great guitarrist, inovative and prolific composer and acid lyrics, was defender of freedom of speech, created a musical style that is almost impossible to define, one of the most original guitarists of all time.

Frank had a iron hand on his albums copyrights and licensing, was the first to release his own pirated records of his own albums, was conservative on drugs and dont allowed the musicians of his band used drugs,

Survived various personal attacks, a fire set by an audience member at a concert in Switzerland destroyed all Mothers equipment, one week later someone pushed him off the stage, falling into a concrete pit resulting in head trauma, broken bones and a squeezed larynx, his voice dropped a third, one leg shorter and wheelchair for a while, all the recorded material from his studio was seized by police what lead to studio bankrupt. Passed away at only 52 due cancer.
Thank you Frank,
RIP
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2021, 07:58 am by FullRangeMan »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Homage to Frank Zappa
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2021, 12:03 pm »
I saw Frank live many times during the 70s, those shows were always so much fun.
The remastered vinyl albums are all just terrific, they do a great job with them.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2021, 12:40 pm »
Bizarre Records was a production company until 1973 and its first official release was 'Over-Nite Sensation'. Everything up to then was labeled Warner.

Steve Vai was in the FZ band, not just a fan.

Good to see FZ getting any kkind of recognition though.

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2021, 01:15 pm »
Here's a link to my tribute to the man. Enjoy.

https://www.bandlab.com/ptmconsulting/sofa-no-3-bddd2349

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2021, 02:08 pm »
I liked that Sofa No 3.
I am the chrome dinette!

A couple of clarifications:
Frank said tobacco was a vegetable and smoked cigarettes, I never saw a picture with a cigar
I don't know about radioactive plaque in his honker but his father was a scientist and brought home blobs of mercury for him to play with when he was a little kid. 
That may explain a lot of things!

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2021, 03:59 pm »
You may want to check out https://www.palermobigband.com/music The Ed Palermo Big Band.

He has done quite a few covers of Zappa's music.

There are two musicians in this business who I can say are jewels.
One is George Duke and the other is Ed Palermo."
-- Napoleon Murphy Brock --

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2021, 12:58 am »
Some other good covers of FZ music:
  • Meridian Arts Ensemble 'Prime Meridian' has stellar versions of "Peaches en Regalia' and 'Oh No'. They actually played for FZ Also 'Smart Went Crazy' and 'Ear Mind I'
  • The Yellow Shark, Ensemble Modern
  • Omnibus Wind Ensemble, Music by Frank Zappa
  • Ed Palermo as noted previously
I have heard and can recommend all of the above especially 'Prime Meridian' and the other MAE releases. Following is a link to a Discogs list of artists that have covered FZ:
https://www.discogs.com/lists/Frank-Zappa-Tributes-Covers-Related/313068?page=1

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2021, 07:28 am »
That may explain a lot of things!
Have read Frank father was a chemist in a mustard gas factory in Baltimore-Maryland and were required to have gas masks at home in case of leak at the factory, Frank had constant breathing problems and they put a radio tablet in each nostril as treatment.

Frank had not a lot of patience to pass his work into sheet music, a task that once fell to the young Steve Vai in the late 1970s.
The fire episode generated the song Smoke on The Water.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2021, 10:28 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2021, 07:30 am »