M4 Hologram vs M4 Saphire advice

Creed

M4 Hologram vs M4 Saphire advice
« on: 20 Dec 2021, 08:10 am »
Hi, I have never owned open baffle except for some Wild Burro Betsys just for fun. I have a Don Sachs Kootenay amp and after asking Don for a suggestion for a speaker to match his amp he suggested Spatial.

There is a guy local that offered his older very basic M4 Holograms for $1200. I don’t even know what they sold for new, does anyone? I thought I could try them just to see what Spatial was all about and if I wanted to move up the line I could sell them.

Is $1200 to much? Would I be able to get my money back? Is there a large difference between the older Holograms and Saphires or others in the line and if so could you tell me.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2021, 02:17 pm by Creed »

Audiosaurusrex

Re: M4 Hologram vs M4 Saphire
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2021, 01:47 pm »
I have the M3 Sapphires cirrca 2019 and have been watching the evolution of Clayton's releases thinking I might want to upgrade at some point. Not sure how old the M4 Holograms are but I would think that those are overpriced and most definitely the newer M4's are that much better. That might be a question for Clayton as he can probably tell you what the differences are between the two. He is very accessible and responsive.

ric

Re: M4 Hologram vs M4 Saphire advice
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2021, 02:31 pm »
Depends. Is there a way you can audition the speakers in your home? What is your ultimate budget? Resale can be hit and miss, so it may be more difficult to find a buyer. I have the M3 holograms (turbo S) which have the larger speakers than the M4's, and ended up upgrading the crossover parts. What is your room size? (the M4's are for a smaller room than the M3's holograms)
Overall you would do better to audition both (older and newer models). There is a thread here somewhere where people say where they live, you may be able find someone willing to let you listen to their set up locally. Overall you'd be happiest with the latest model. Good luck!

geerock

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2021, 03:00 pm »
The standard m4 was discontinued in 2015 I believe and was under 1500 bucks.  It was replaced by the m4 turbo at $1599 and the turbo S that had a higher end tweeter and upgraded wiring for a few hundred more.  1200 bucks for a 6 year old design that was probably $1600 if it was the Turbo model is too much money.

Creed

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2021, 03:30 pm »
Thanks for the info, I wasn’t sure but I looked up older models and it looked like it was under $1400 new but wasn’t sure if I had correct speaker matched to the right price. Owner said he owned the newer versions but they lost the midrange and were bright and he preferred the older version. Have you heard this?

geerock

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2021, 04:11 pm »
Thanks for the info, I wasn’t sure but I looked up older models and it looked like it was under $1400 new but wasn’t sure if I had correct speaker matched to the right price. Owner said he owned the newer versions but they lost the midrange and were bright and he preferred the older version. Have you heard this?

Havent heard that but I don't go by what someone else hears or doesn't hear anyways.  Everyone is different.

Mr. Big

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2021, 06:47 pm »
Your room with your own gear makes the sound you hear. All anyone can tell you is how well they sound in their own system. But when enough folks say they sound great that is a good sign, much better than anyone review in the Marketing/Sales TAS or Stereophile.

catluck

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2021, 03:52 pm »
Having started with Spatial's early and best platform, the M1, and then each upgrade (compression tweeter x 2 + x-over upgrade) and now owning the Sapphire M3's, it's clear to me that the Sapphires are in another league entirely from SA's earlier M products.  The missing detail from the early compression horn tweeters is cured by the new M100 tweet.  The weak and absent base from the earlier versions is no longer an issue.  SA's newest effort is simply a wholly different product than the early platforms.  Finally, the new speaks allow the use of tubes amps without as great a penalty.  Yet, despite the "failings" of the early platform, the speakers' presentation of the midrange, especially, horns, was remarkable.