X-Statik Crossover Help

iteachsteam

X-Statik Crossover Help
« on: 19 Dec 2021, 02:44 pm »
Hello all,

I am a newbie here.  I just recently purchased 4 X-statics and an x-voce center.  Well, they needed some electrical attention and a blown tweeter replaced.  I know I need to replace some resistors on the x-overs that decided to call it a day!  (See pics)  The R2 on several of the x-statiks and x-voce failed.  Can anyone verify the value?  I'm guessing 5ohm 10/12 watt?  Should I replace the other resistors while I have  the x-overs out?  Also, any suggestions on places to purchase?

Thank you!

richidoo

Re: X-Statik Crossover Help
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2021, 04:32 pm »
Resistors can handle a lot of heat without damage, even if the paint gets discolored from heat.  They are likely still OK but since you’re into it might as well replace anyway. If the PCB traces are also damaged then just run the new resistor lead to the connection where the burnt trace would have gone. You should be able to clean off the burnt coating to inspect and test the trace. The green resistors are metal oxide type which is the most common type in quality speakers and they sound good. But wirewound resistors may offer a little more resolution if your ears and electronics are up to it. I have heard improvement from green metal oxide resistors switching to Mills 12W wirewound non inductive resistors. If you change any resistor types make sure to replace them on both L and R side, especially on the main front LR.

The burnt resistors and PCB explain why the tweeter was blown. They didn’t decide to call it a day, they were murdered!  :lol: 12W is enough power rating for tweeters played within the speaker’s power rating.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2021, 05:42 pm »
You can get all the parts you need from Danny. You could also build new point-to-point crossovers with upgraded components while you are at it. That's what I'd recommend doing.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2021, 06:36 pm »
You can get all the parts you need from Danny. You could also build new point-to-point crossovers with upgraded components while you are at it. That's what I'd recommend doing.

I second this.  I would rebuild the crossover with better crossover parts.  Get in touch with Danny at GR and he will steer you the right way.  If you don't know how to build the crossover then there are a few people on here who can really help you with it.  Those speakers will sound a lot better with higher quality crossovers. 
Also, someone was really driving those things hard to fry the resistor and blow up a tweeter........

iteachsteam

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2021, 07:40 pm »
Thanks for the info. 

These came from a $1.4million home in Illinois... apparently they didn't understand the intended use for these speakers!  They did, however, have a nice sub connected, so at least the low end didn't suffer as much!

I decided to go with the mills 5ohm 12 watt.  These are going up for sale as I have other speakers that fit my needs better. I thought about a total crossover update, but I just want to get them back to functioning correctly as to not pass the problems along to the next owners. (I'll let the next owners choose their preferred components if they go that route.)

Thanks again.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2021, 12:42 am »
Thanks for the info. 

These came from a $1.4million home in Illinois... apparently they didn't understand the intended use for these speakers!  They did, however, have a nice sub connected, so at least the low end didn't suffer as much!

I decided to go with the mills 5ohm 12 watt.  These are going up for sale as I have other speakers that fit my needs better. I thought about a total crossover update, but I just want to get them back to functioning correctly as to not pass the problems along to the next owners. (I'll let the next owners choose their preferred components if they go that route.)

Thanks again.

What finish are they?  Any pics?

Robert

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2021, 02:38 am »
Interesting. One of the resistors on my stock X-Statik crossover boards shows signs of a similar issue in the same R2 position. The other one looks fine though. Maybe an issue with a particular batch of 5 ohm resistors?

iteachsteam

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2021, 01:16 pm »
Bad batch of parts or bad design choice for that resistor value?  I find it odd that all 4 of my x-statik speakers and the x-voce center had this issue.  Granted, I'm the second owner, so the previous owner may have had different listening practices, but still, to have all of them burnt? (And none of the 6.5" drivers were blown, just one tweeter.)

Anyone else want to open up their speakers and see if they have similar issues?

I ordered some mills 5ohm 12watt resistors from parts express, $6.98ea, but shipping on those is brutal!!! ($8.95 for shipping a couple little resistors?)

Also,here are pics that were requested.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2021, 04:52 pm »
So I grabbed my stock XO’s that I will be changing caps on, and I see little to no evidence of the same issue. There are a couple of tiny spots that might be the beginning of it, but nothing as nasty as what you show.

Robert

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2021, 04:53 pm »
Side question…. Can I add path audio resistors here instead of mills given the are 10 ohm?

Robert

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2021, 01:55 am »
Yes you can also use Path resistors, but I dont think I would go that far with the stock crossovers.

however, the quality loss from the stock board is more than the gains from the Path resistors.

iteachsteam

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2021, 05:57 pm »
New resistor in the R2 position and back to fully functioning again!

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2021, 07:07 pm »
NICE!!!!  Congrats!

Robert

iteachsteam

« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2021, 04:24 pm »
Thanks!

Unfortunately, I sold my other pair of x-statiks a week earlier.  It would have been interesting to do an A/B comparison to see if I could actually hear any difference with the mills resistors over the stock ones.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2021, 06:07 pm »
Thanks!

Unfortunately, I sold my other pair of x-statiks a week earlier.  It would have been interesting to do an A/B comparison to see if I could actually hear any difference with the mills resistors over the stock ones.

It would be pretty small.  I've done that comparison myself in my system.  A bigger improvement is to get an all-copper Path Audio resistor.  But even that is smaller than what inductors or capacitors do.