question

rcag_ils

question
« on: 17 Dec 2021, 09:43 pm »
Nothing against the vinyl, but is there a tape deck circle here? I can't seem to find it.

toocool4

Re: question
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2021, 10:23 pm »
Funny enough, I have never actually looked for that sub forum on here. I still actually use cassettes, I was playing Cameo on cassette today.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2021, 10:35 pm »
The Vintage Circle would probably be the best bet.

rcag_ils

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2021, 11:02 pm »
vinyl and tape decks used to go hand in hand. We bought the new LP, then record it on tape and put the LP away. I have three reel to reel that I still use occasionally, and back in the days, we taped the LPs on cassette then listened to them in our cars. We need a tape forum, at least for reel to reel anyway. At the end of the tape era, they came up with some darn good formulation for cassette and reel to reel, it sounded better than vinyl (some of them).

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2021, 12:09 pm »
It's that my old Pioneer CR7 tape deck?

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2021, 02:15 pm »
It’s a Nakamichi CR-7, as far as I know Pioneer model numbers never had prefix CR they used CT.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2021, 03:57 pm »

There are a couple of TapeHeads here...

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2021, 04:38 pm »
There are a couple of TapeHeads here...

You can't keep a good TapeHead down  :thumb:

Chewbacca

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2021, 04:47 pm »
I’ve always been curious, how does reel to reel and a regular cassette tape sound in comparison (generally) to vinyl and digital? I’ve never had the opportunity to hear either on a decent system.

toocool4

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2021, 05:14 pm »
Chewbacca If you have a good Reel to Reel or a good Tape Deck, using good quality tape you will be surprised at how close the recording can be. I pretty much only use metal cassettes.

I have had friends come round and listen to my system and they always say, I have never heard a cassette sound like that. In fact one day a friend came round, I played him some music and at one point when I said I was playing cassette he said he thought I was still playing Vinyl.

Chewbacca

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2021, 05:20 pm »
 Thanks for the insight, toocool4!

Are these tapes recorded from vinyl, like rcag_ils mentioned?

I remember recording cds onto tapes when I was a wee lad with my dads equipment, because I only had a cassette player in my room :thumb:

toocool4

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2021, 05:32 pm »
Chewbacca Most are recorded from Vinyl and some from CD. I don’t record to cassette in order to put my vinyl away, I only record what I would like to listen to on the move via Walkman.
At home I still play my records, the cassettes are more for on the move.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2021, 06:18 pm »
Most of my tapes are recorded from vinyl. Straight from my phono preamp to the R2R. Some are digital, recorded from my preamp. I record at 7 1/2 ips.

Sound is the same that you would get by listening to the source you use. I only use new tape. Older tape may have some issues, degradation of the tape and recorded at 3 3/4 ips so I stay away from that..

I'm very pleased with the SQ and I enjoy everything that goes with the process.

Prices for tape machines, cassette and R2R has really climbed so getting into it can be spendy.. Older Machines will require some work to get them working and sounding their best.

New tape pancakes and cassette= https://www.atrtape.com/

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2021, 07:13 pm »
NM

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2021, 11:55 am »
It’s a Nakamichi CR-7, as far as I know Pioneer model numbers never had prefix CR they used CT.

Thanks, my old eyes couldn't see the pic very well.  And my old brain couldn't remember the model number, you're right, CT5 or CT7.  I think I sold it in 2013 after being in the closet for a decade or more.  Wish I'd have kept it, when I had it serviced my tech guy was gushing how they didn't make them like that anymore, but we were moving and....