Brian Eno's Turntable Design

Audiosaurusrex

Brian Eno's Turntable Design
« on: 14 Dec 2021, 05:40 pm »

https://www.wallpaper.com/art/brian-eno-turntable
Looks interesting but I still love my AS TripleX. Plus there are only 50 of them, Talk about a limited release  :duh:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Brian Eno's Turntable Design
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2021, 07:20 am »
Great, nicely flamboyant as Roxy Music music  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2021, 11:29 am »
Pricing?  As if it matters, but I didn't see it in the article.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2021, 01:41 pm »
I thought I read somewhere else 25k and half are sold

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2021, 09:46 pm »

As the saying goes, if you have to ask...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2021, 06:31 am »
In the late 1970s the architect and great artist and creator of new ideas Guto Lacaz designed this minimalist record player and omni ambience speakers but unfortunately did not have the same sales success like Eno.
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guto_Lacaz
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2021, 08:40 am by FullRangeMan »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2021, 12:04 pm »

As the saying goes, if you have to ask...

Yes, that's a given.  But I'm wondering about the tech used for much less exclusive offerings.  Can't be all that much for some lights and sensors.  Would you pay $50 more for an Audio Technica table that lights up?

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2021, 03:38 pm »
Yes, that's a given.  But I'm wondering about the tech used for much less exclusive offerings.  Can't be all that much for some lights and sensors.  Would you pay $50 more for an Audio Technica table that lights up?

probably would spend 50 bucks for an Audio Technica table........... :wink:

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2021, 04:06 pm »
In the late 1970s the architect and great artist and creator of new ideas Guto Lacaz designed this minimalist record player and omni ambience speakers but unfortunately did not have the same sales success like Eno.
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guto_Lacaz

I'm sure the most 'minimal' thing about it was the sound quality, assuming it was not a static display that didn't work at all.... I mean the design problems are obvious: The resonances from what appears to be an unsupported record surface must have been off the charts. The plant stand they mounted the motor on the underside of doesn't exactly look quiet and stable either. And I have seen bigger counterweights at shows. At least the marketing geniuses banking on Eno's name had enough sense to use an actual platter. And is that a Lafayette amp on the floor? I suspect this contraption never actually worked.

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2021, 04:19 pm »

Two factors are driving the price: One is economy of scale (or lack thereof) and the other (related) is snob appeal of having something only 49 other people have and that is probably the main factor here. As the late Brian Cheney of VMPS put it, "The price IS the product". There are probably TTs for 15-20 cents on the dollar that are as good if not better in terms of SQ, but again, that is not the main reason someone would buy a product like this.

Photon46

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2021, 07:32 pm »
Brian Eno has active professional lives in both the Fine Art gallery and music worlds. The turntable looks like a crossover product with the most appeal for an art connoisseur/collector who also happens to have an interest in music. Believe me, $25,000 is practically chump change in the Fine Art world these days.