MFSL One Step reissues

spehifi

MFSL One Step reissues
« on: 12 Dec 2021, 06:44 pm »
Greetings,
I would like to hear opinions on these releases.  I'm guessing the level of improvement over the originals will vary, depending on multiple factors, not the least of which is the source and its condition.  Are the ones you own worth the extra cabbage?  Where are the improvements most noticeable?
Play on

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: MFSL One Step reissues
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2021, 11:06 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
Seems you are referring to vinyl, I will move this topic to the Vinyl Circle.

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2021, 11:32 pm »
In general they are astounding. The reduced noise floor is apparent immediately upon needle drop. Sometimes the original source is the limiting factor.

Paul

forky

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2021, 02:52 am »
I have:

Santana, Abraxas ($$$$)
Yes, Fragile
Blood, Sweat and Tears

All 3 are mind blowing with unbelievable separation, sound stage and overall sound. I also have Pearl which is also very good but too bright in my system (although I'm burning in some new tweeters so that may improve) and several of the Discogs comments also mention this for Pearl.

For 2022 I ordered: Hotel CA, Diver Down, Women & Children First and Fair Warning. The first 6 VH will be done. I may add 1984 and VH1. You can call Music Direct to preorder if interested.

sebrof

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2021, 12:22 am »
I can't seem to locate One Step records on music direct...where are they listed?
TIA

forky

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2021, 01:04 am »
they don't appear to have any in stock. The new ones for 2022 are preorder only. The 2022 releases are listed in the monster one-step thread on Steve Hoffman. I bought all of mine on Discogs except Fragile. https://www.discogs.com/label/1277781-UltraDisc-One-Step  , the Donald Fagan is also supposed to be on another planet and although I may purchase someday - I doubt it because I just don't like the actual songs enough to pay the going rate which is ............ a lot.

forky

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2021, 01:09 am »
If you have time I would start reading through the reviews. A few negative but are overwhelming positive. I do wish that Pearl wasn't so bright though.

senna1a

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2021, 02:28 pm »
I’ve got them all and ready enjoy them. You can call Music Direct and preorder via phone all the upcoming titles (there are a bunch). If you are curious as to the improvement, I would see if you can find a friend and listen. Or if you have a specific title that you may like, purchase a near mint copy that is open and try it. You’ll be able to resell it if you don’t like it with little money invested.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2021, 04:47 pm »
I have:

Santana, Abraxas ($$$$)

I heard this Abraxas (assuming we're talking about the two-disc 45rpm version) at a show, and, while it sounded great, I found the side break right between 'Black Magic Woman' and 'Oye Como Va' to be jarring after knowing it forever it as one of the great song segues in rock history.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2021, 11:43 am »
From a quick perusal I'm seeing prices of $200 to $500 per pressing.  When I can download 24/192 for my monthly subscription.  Good luck with that guys.

Craig B

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2021, 12:24 pm »
Nothing about a fragile vinyl record could entice me to spend that much. I blanch at the idea of spending $30 on an LP, even though I know that when adjusted for inflation, that price is right in line with all the records I bought routinely back in the 70's. But that's just me and my own priorities, and I make no judgments about anyone else.