X-LS Classics to X-LS Encores - Help Needed

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: X-LS Classics to X-LS Encores - Help Needed
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2021, 12:16 am »
Hobbs or Danny,

Is that note still accurate on the tweeter?  I never noticed that. 

Robert

Unfortunately.

We only have enough of the T26 tweeters to fill back orders up until roughly mid October.

We placed the orders for more tweeters back in April, and have currently only gotten one sample a few months ago, but it had a rolled off top end..
The manufacturer is still having a hard time finding a suitable diaphragm material that will give us the response we want..

So we're expecting it may be another 2-3 months before we can get more sent to us..
The first several boxes will be air-freighted so we can fill the backorders..

We have 1000 M165 8ohm woofers incoming within the next couple weeks, as well as 1000 LGK drivers, but without the tweeters we're kind of stuck.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2021, 01:45 am »
Unfortunately.

We only have enough of the T26 tweeters to fill back orders up until roughly mid October.

We placed the orders for more tweeters back in April, and have currently only gotten one sample a few months ago, but it had a rolled off top end..
The manufacturer is still having a hard time finding a suitable diaphragm material that will give us the response we want..

So we're expecting it may be another 2-3 months before we can get more sent to us..
The first several boxes will be air-freighted so we can fill the backorders..

We have 1000 M165 8ohm woofers incoming within the next couple weeks, as well as 1000 LGK drivers, but without the tweeters we're kind of stuck.

Wish I knew that before messing with my X-statik tweeter. 😂. I do understand the problems getting anything right now let alone getting it shipped. Hopefully that resolves in time for tax season. I am glad demand is that high!

Robert

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #22 on: 15 Dec 2021, 02:51 am »
Unfortunately.

Say what, Hobbs? Hasn't this driver been the same forever? Why a new diaphragm material? New supplier?

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #23 on: 15 Dec 2021, 02:54 am »
Hobbs,

Random side question. Is the woofer from the classic the same woofer in the encore?  I believe so but wanted to check.

Thanks,
Robert

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 15 Dec 2021, 03:45 am »
Say what, Hobbs? Hasn't this driver been the same forever? Why a new diaphragm material? New supplier?

I'm not 100% sure about the details, but essentially, Peerless can't source the same diaphragm materials used in the original tweeter. I can only guess the original fabric manufacturer is no longer in operation, or no longer produces it.

The materials they've tried so far just haven't performed up to spec, likely why we've only received one sample thus far. I want to say it was back sometime in September?

Danny wants them to be a drop in replacement, no matter if you have some old AV123 Encores, or bought some within the last year or so..
And that's proving to be a lot more difficult than anticipated.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 15 Dec 2021, 03:47 am »
Hobbs,

Random side question. Is the woofer from the classic the same woofer in the encore?  I believe so but wanted to check.

Thanks,
Robert

Correct. They are the same M165 woofer made by Peerless of India.
We have a new batch of the 8ohm woofers arriving the next week or two.
Along with the LGKs

drumphile

« Reply #26 on: 16 Dec 2021, 03:24 pm »
I'm not 100% sure about the details, but essentially, Peerless can't source the same diaphragm materials used in the original tweeter. I can only guess the original fabric manufacturer is no longer in operation, or no longer produces it.

The materials they've tried so far just haven't performed up to spec, likely why we've only received one sample thus far. I want to say it was back sometime in September?

Danny wants them to be a drop in replacement, no matter if you have some old AV123 Encores, or bought some within the last year or so..
And that's proving to be a lot more difficult than anticipated.

Thanks for this update.  I guess I'll just sit back and enjoy my stock AV123 X-LS for now.  Still going to watch this thread.  :popcorn:

Would be interested to learn if anyone has tried other tweeters (SEAS, Morel, SB Acoustics, etc) and crossover upgrades with these?  If Peerless India can't replicate the Encore tweeter soon, I suspect Danny might have to select a new one and redesign the crossover for the current model of X-LS. 

drumphile

« Reply #27 on: 16 Dec 2021, 03:34 pm »
Just found this design with the XT25 tweeter - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=42558.0 . Curious to know if anyone else has tried it?

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #28 on: 17 Dec 2021, 07:19 pm »
Hi All!  Super cool updates on these.  The rings are done and look FANTASTIC!!!  The machine shop sunk the encore tweeter down by machining the previous lip down and also carved a notch out for the terminals on the tweeter.  They then made custom rings to fill the gaps around the tweeter.  It looks stock and mounts everything flush.  It wasn't cheap but worth every penny and left me super happy.  Check out Babbitt Bearing shop in Columbus, Ohio if you are local and want some fantastic service.  Gary was amazing and they did a great job. 

Robert

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 18 Dec 2021, 03:24 am »
That looks fantastic! :thumb:

Now you're off to the races!

bfs21

« Reply #30 on: 20 Dec 2021, 07:07 pm »
Hi all -- I have a single Encore tweeter designed to fit the old XLS cabinets. I also have a stock XCS Encore crossover, if anyone needs that.

I was going to upgrade an old AV123 center channel but went in a different direction.

Free to whoever has interest! My only requirement is that you make a 2022 resolution to spend money at Danny's website.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #31 on: 20 Dec 2021, 08:21 pm »
Hi all -- I have a single Encore tweeter designed to fit the old XLS cabinets. I also have a stock XCS Encore crossover, if anyone needs that.

I was going to upgrade an old AV123 center channel but went in a different direction.

Free to whoever has interest! My only requirement is that you make a 2022 resolution to spend money at Danny's website.

I'll take it!  I will happily pay for shipping too.  I can use it for a center channel.  I'll PM you.

Robert