Moving really big speakers

NoahH

Moving really big speakers
« on: 9 Dec 2021, 02:21 pm »
I know a couple folks on here have made huge speakers so was hoping for some help.

I just did the math and realized the OB sub towers (with all the parts arriving this week) are going to weigh over 300 lbs each. Jay rightly pointed out that.you can't tip them to install spikes as it will shred the spikes that are in-place when tipped will shred the base plate.

The issue is that means I either need to lift the whole things straight up and carry them to move them or get something wheeled under them. For the first, I am not sure that two people lifting using the shelves is safe as they are not meant for that much load. I could use lifting straps under the bottom, but that would be hard to stabilize.

To do the lifting, there.is a speaker jack that Isoacoustics sells, but that is just lifting one corner at a time.

Anyone have ideas?

mav52

Re: Moving really big speakers
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2021, 02:28 pm »
If you must lift them get some appliance lifting straps. It’ll still require 2 people but you’ll not need to bend over to lift them and the control is much better.,or a padded appliance dolly or even moving a few feet sliders like Herbie's or the ones from Lowes/Home Depot ($8).. When they brought in our 365 lbs fridge the two guys carried that thing from their truck into my house using the lifting straps.

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2021, 03:23 pm »
I would consider a heavy duty furniture moving hand cart. To protect the speakers you can wrap blankets around the speaker and the cart, also cardboard helps too. To assist you can also use some wrachet straps to help keep the speaker in place against the cart only after you everything wrapped in blankets and or cardboard.

NoahH

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2021, 04:02 pm »
A hand truck is a good idea. I kept visualizing Dolly's but that would be easier. It might lift at a light enough angle that it would not out pressure on the spikes.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2021, 04:42 pm »
Refridgerator style hand truck with straps and rear stabilizer wheels.

You can rent them from most moving companies like U-Haul or United Rentals.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2021, 05:26 pm »
Uhaul is a good place to rent, or ask a buddy for a hand truck, dolly. If any stairs. Try and get one with the air fill tires, rather then hard plastic wheels.

Or couple buddies and beer! Lol. Good luck man! You’ll get it!

EdwardT

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2021, 05:38 pm »
Good advice from Shives, pneumatic tires are what my hand truck lacks and that little bit of cushion is missed. Also, I got furniture blankets from UHaul and I use those to pad the metal when I’m moving speakers.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2021, 05:41 pm »
Firstly, don't use spikes. Use an isolation device like a Gaia.

Buy beer and call in your friends.

Bolt on 2 2x4's as outriggers and thick enough to allow slipping in the footers as you prop one end up slightly with a 3rd piece of wood and bolt on the footers in the rear. Then tip it slightly backward and bolt on the fronts. Shortest bolts you can so they can make their way out or slot the 2x4's. Otherwise the tipping gets too steep.

Just an idea.

subsonic1050

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2021, 06:21 pm »
If it's possible, assemble the speakers in place. That's what I did with my OB subs and the NX-Treme's. I built the cabinets, moved them to where they would be, then installed the drivers and did the wiring in place. If you ever have to move them later you'll have to figure it out then, but for initial setup that worked well for me.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2021, 07:20 pm »
Hi Noah,
  I used to install grave stones.We had a hand truck that had 2 tires on each side.I called it the Tiger Tank of handtrucks. The tires were also a little under inflated so it had no problem with obstacles like stairs although we used it mostly for outside work. U-Haul does not rent one that brawny. If you talked to the monument company and explained that you would assume all risks they might just lend you the handtruck or charge you the cost of a 12 pack for after work. That's what we would of done.Richardson's Monuments 1992.....Mark Korda

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2021, 08:28 pm »
The speakers can be moved just like the big Wilson Audio speakers. Buy some casters with the same thread as the spikes i.e M8 (GR Research), 1/4-20 (Salk).

Lift one side at a time and insert casters then roll speakers out. The speakers are rolled into an upright crate and laid down.
How to lift a speaker without the Wilson jack is the perennial question.

Wilson Audio flat jack

Here is a thread to pull on:
Low profile speaker lift / jack
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163156.0

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2021, 09:00 pm »
 I use a pair of these mini air bags to make minor adjustments. If you need to remove spikes to insert/remove casters, these  should do the job.
Some casters have heavy duty lockable rubber wheels  which might serve as permanent footers if style is a secondary consideration.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=winbag+max+pump+it+up&crid=JPONT1UBVH7Z&sprefix=winbag%2Caps%2C242&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_5_6

mgalusha

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2021, 10:12 pm »
I use a pair of these mini air bags to make minor adjustments. If you need to remove spikes to insert/remove casters, these  should do the job.
Some casters have heavy duty lockable rubber wheels  which might serve as permanent footers if style is a secondary consideration.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=winbag+max+pump+it+up&crid=JPONT1UBVH7Z&sprefix=winbag%2Caps%2C242&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_5_6

Those are cool, plus, any product named winbag just has to be good...

NoahH

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2021, 10:45 pm »
Bolt on 2 2x4's as outriggers and thick enough to allow slipping in the footers as you prop one end up slightly with a 3rd piece of wood and bolt on the footers in the rear. Then tip it slightly backward and bolt on the fronts. Shortest bolts you can so they can make their way out or slot the 2x4's. Otherwise the tipping gets too steep.

Just an idea.

I love this idea. Is this hypothetical or have you tried something like this?

NoahH

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2021, 10:45 pm »
If it's possible, assemble the speakers in place. That's what I did with my OB subs and the NX-Treme's. I built the cabinets, moved them to where they would be, then installed the drivers and did the wiring in place. If you ever have to move them later you'll have to figure it out then, but for initial setup that worked well for me.

I agree and am going to try this, but placement will undoubtedly need to be adjusted.

NoahH

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2021, 10:47 pm »
There are a lot of great ideas on here. Thanks to all for the ideas.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2021, 11:18 pm »
I agree and am going to try this, but placement will undoubtedly need to be adjusted.

Put furniture sliders under them until you have the location finalized. 

subsonic1050

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2021, 11:41 pm »

Yup, I did a combination of building them in place and what Tyson suggested. I put mine on furniture movers until I got the position right. Then I put decoupling feet under them.

NoahH

« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2021, 01:09 am »
I have some smaller Wilson's and actually do exactly this with furniture sliders, but I still have to replace sliders every couple uses because they break. Since these subs are 4 times the weight, I assume the sliders will just disintegrate. Have you actually used sliders on something that heavy?

Mike B.

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2021, 04:00 pm »
I have five round 3.5 inch diameter moving disks under each speaker. The are self adhesive and about .5 thick. Makes moving them into position very easy on hard surfaces. Won't work very will on carpet.