The new Exodus Speaker Kits are coming!

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« on: 28 Mar 2005, 03:11 am »
First two of the speaker kits will officially be released this week.

First one on the web site is the KIT41 two-way.  Price is $199/pr for everything but the wood.   Parts Express finished enclosures are about $100/pr.

See details here:

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24_92&products_id=537

The KIT61 is also due to be released.   We are just waiting on a few crossover parts before they go live.   The KIT61 uses the Adire Extremis 6.8 & the Usher 9550-C in two-way.   The KIT61 goes down WAY low in a smallish monitor sized speaker.    In room response well into the high 20s.

More kits to be released shortly.  We are just finalizing crossovers with some final listening/measurements and getting all the crossover parts into inventory.

ellogan

« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2005, 05:37 am »
Kevin:

Will there be an option for bi-wiring?

Thanks

Kevin P

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2005, 01:12 pm »
Not a problem...since it is a kit making changes to accomidate bi-wiring is very easy.   You drill two extra holes in the box, buy a second binding post & wire the crossover such that the tweeter & woofer section is tied to the appropriate post.    

There are also different tuning options available via some simple changes to the crossover.   You can pad the tweeter with a slightly different resistor value to tune the high frequency side to your room.   Rooms that are very reflective with little high/mid frequency adsorption may need a little more tweeter padding and just the opposite for very absorptive rooms.   System electronics and taste aslo play a role and having the freedom to make small changes like this can save a lot of money in trying to do it with cables and other tweaks.   :mrgreen:

I've been using the little KIT41s in my house for the last couple months with slightly raised high frequency response to adjust for my very absorptive room.   The KIT41s have an incredible low-end also.   Doc Bottlehead walked into the room at the last Bottlehead meeting and couldn't believe that we didn't have the sub playing.  ;-)    They don't play nice with SET amps though.   They need a little extra umph.

Kramer

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2005, 04:43 pm »
Am I reading it wrong, or did the 41 kit just go down $100?

I JUST bought a pair of WR125s to play with (until the 641 is released) for $130 ($150 shipped).  :cry:  I coulda had the 41 for less $$?

ryno

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2005, 05:47 pm »
Looks like he is selling as single units now, not as pairs. Most likely for those who want a single for a center.
Ryan

Kevin P

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2005, 11:41 pm »
Yes... I just changed the way we sell them to reflect the price for each speaker.  That way we can sell odd multiples for HT applications or single speakers for those guys who like to listen in mono.   :-)

Kevin P

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2005, 11:45 pm »
Quote from: Kramer
Am I reading it wrong, or did the 41 kit just go down $100?

I JUST bought a pair of WR125s to play with (until the 641 is released) for $130 ($150 shipped).  :cry:  I coulda had the 41 for less $$?

Where did you buy them for $150 shipped?

Kramer

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2005, 12:35 pm »
Quote from: Kevin P
single speakers for those guys who like to listen in mono

You must know my father. :lol:

I bought them from you. They arrived 2 days ago.

Kevin P

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2005, 04:01 pm »

Haa!   I'm sorry.  I'm loosing my mind.   I was thinking that $20 shipping was awefully high!   Looking at your invoice it was only $11.97 shipping.

If you need a couple ports to simplify the cabinet building let me know.   They are not expensive.... may $2 each.    I've been using the KIT41 at home for months and every time we watch a movie or listen I'm amazed by how good those little guys sound.  The wife likes them better than the larger speakers I've had in there before.   The only problem I've had is that the kids have pushed the "tweeter button" several times.   I've pulled them out with duct tape and they look and sound good as new. :-)

Kramer

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2005, 05:15 pm »
I was thinking that $20 shipping was awefully high! Looking at your invoice it was only $11.97 shipping.

Yeah, I guess it was something like that. I just remember looking at the invoice and thinking "$150 (or almost $150), I should have paid another 50 for the 41 kit".

Im actually going to drop the drivers into an existing JBL cabinet that I have had for some time now (they were my speakers in college).  The cabinets are a bit under-sized (about 0.2 cu-ft), but are in great condition. The original drivers are a flush-mounted 4.5" and a surface- mounted square tweet (with a small hole behind it) . A front firing port is about 1-1/8" in diameter.  As it turns out, the WR is about 1/16" smaller that the JBL driver, so it drops right in.  The HIVI flange would not fit on the baffle because the woofer is located higher-up due to the front port. However, the Audax tweeter does drop right into the existing hole, so thats the route I took (using Dan's crossover). All said and done, I spent more that the KIT41 would have cost.

Here are some photos: http://www.pbase.com/kramer/jbl_2500_upgrade

I don’t expect as good a sound at the 41 (I figured Fb at about 78Hz), but I just wanted to audition the WR125 and hear "how" it sounds. As you know, I do have an interest in the 641 and the 4x (WR+Usher) kits.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2005, 05:53 pm »
I would be interested to hear about how it sounds - I run the WR full range by itself in the prescribed box alignment, with no tweet, and enjoy it quite a bit.

Kramer

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2005, 06:04 pm »
Ill let you know. The odd baffle (raised lip) and the small enclosure is sure to affect it somehow, I just dont know how much. These are just temporary anyway.

If they turn out well, I might bring them to the DC DIY event next month. I hope someone else brings an extremis-based project. I do want to hear that.

I plan on using 2 sets of binding posts - so that I can run with/without the tweeter.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2005, 06:11 pm »
I am confident that you will hear the difference without the tweeter, since you will be able to directly A/B it, but if you take the time to listen for a couple of days to just the WR, I wonder what you will report on...

Kramer

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2005, 06:37 pm »
Oh, Im sure Ill hear the difference with/without the tweeter. Im just not sure how good the Audax tweeter actually is, so I wanted to be able to remove it from the equation. Keep in mind that my main speakers use the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter, so I am used to a highly refined sound.  8)

Kevin P

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2005, 07:56 pm »
Quote from: Kramer
Oh, Im sure Ill hear the difference with/without the tweeter. Im just not sure how good the Audax tweeter actually is, so I wanted to be able to remove it from the equation. Keep in mind that my main speakers use the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter, so I am used to a highly refined sound.  8)

The Hiquphons give you more apparent detail.   Since they have wider dispersion (3/4" dome vs. 1") you get more high frequency information into the room.    They also can sound too bright pretty easy if you have an overly reflective room.  

If I had total control over the room I'd choose the Hiquphon any day over the Audax.

Kramer

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2005, 08:02 pm »
I have a "warm" room. Lots of carpet and plush furniture.