Best Internal Speaker Wire for GR Speakers

tortoiseman2542

Best Internal Speaker Wire for GR Speakers
« on: 7 Dec 2021, 08:19 pm »
Hi All!

I'm working on upgrading a pair of X-Statik's and LS-6's and am examining different potential wire upgrades.  The wire Danny and team sends with kits seems great but I am thinking of going with lower gauge.  I am looking at 12 AWG components for my LS-6's and would love wire of the same size. 

Any suggestions on better internal speaker wire? 

Robert

Chops

Re: Best Internal Speaker Wire for GR Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2021, 10:00 pm »
Danny incorporates the wire that he does for a reason. No need to "upgrade" it, as it will more than likely not be an upgrade at all. If anything, just the opposite. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2021, 10:40 pm »
A star quad of the Nimak silver wire is definitely a step up, but also more expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123701363104

If you want copper wire I’d say stick with what Danny provides, it’s actually quite good.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2022, 12:16 am »
Does anyone know what AWG Danny’s wire is?  Again I am thinking of doing all 12 AWG components, including copper wire.  I am eyeing some Neotech wire but if his is 12 AWG I’ll stick with Danny’s.

Thanks!
Robert

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2022, 12:32 am »
His seems to be 16 gauge solid copper wire. Easy to work with from what I've played with so far.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2022, 01:04 am »
His seems to be 16 gauge solid copper wire. Easy to work with from what I've played with so far.

That’s what I was thinking given the gauge of parts. I wonder if they can get 12 awg of the same type. I plan to use it on AV123 LS-6’s, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to work with given the space in there and the way it’s wired.

Robert

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2022, 01:49 am »
We also have 14 gauge stranded copper wire that is used in our Servo sub kits that should work well for the woofers of the LS6s and will be a lot more flexible than solid 12 gauge wire. It's a little more expensive at $1 per foot, vs the 80c per foot of the standard internal cable.

We're considering using it in our NX-Otica/NX-Treme kits for the 4/8 woofers arrays, keeping the 16 strand for the mids and tweeter circuits

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2022, 01:54 am »
We also have 14 gauge stranded copper wire that is used in our Servo sub kits that should work well for the woofers of the LS6s and will be a lot more flexible than solid 12 gauge wire. It's a little more expensive at $1 per foot, vs the 80c per foot of the standard internal cable.

We're considering using it in our NX-Otica/NX-Treme kits for the 4/8 woofers arrays, keeping the 16 strand for the mids and tweeter circuits

Any idea how many feet LS-6’s need?

Robert

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2022, 01:56 am »
I'll have to check with Danny tomorrow.

mikeeastman

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2022, 02:17 pm »
I rewired the tweeter and mids on my Super7s with Neotech gold/silver wire, expensive but a definite improvement in SQ

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2022, 02:28 pm »
I rewired the tweeter and mids on my Super7s with Neotech gold/silver wire, expensive but a definite improvement in SQ

What AWG did you use?  Where did you get it?

Robert

RonP

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2022, 04:57 pm »

Wish I knew that. I may want to rewire my subs. I used the stiff, solid core stuff. bookmarking this for later!

Thanks Hobbs!

mikeeastman

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2022, 05:11 pm »
I use 4 stands of the 24 gauge twisted together. I got it from VH audio but they don't show it on their site now. Parts Connection has it in stock.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2022, 08:29 pm »
Any idea how many feet LS-6’s need?

Robert

Danny says it was about 76 feet total, but you wont gain much in performance over the standard 16 gauge wire.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2022, 08:57 pm »
Danny says it was about 76 feet total, but you wont gain much in performance over the standard 16 gauge wire.

Ouch yeah that's a lot of feet of wire... lol.  Do you guys sell that 16awg wire in bulk?  Like could i buy 75 feet of white and 75 in red?  Something like that. 

Thanks!
Robert

kickngas

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2022, 10:57 pm »
Ahhh, so my Otica's haven't shipped yet, I would love to be the recipient of the wiring upgrade!! :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2022, 11:24 pm »
Ouch yeah that's a lot of feet of wire... lol.  Do you guys sell that 16awg wire in bulk?  Like could i buy 75 feet of white and 75 in red?  Something like that. 

Thanks!
Robert

We sell our 16 gauge internal wire for 80 cents a foot. Just call to order.

OSIB16

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2022, 09:22 pm »
Hi All!

I'm working on upgrading a pair of X-Statik's and LS-6's and am examining different potential wire upgrades.  The wire Danny and team sends with kits seems great but I am thinking of going with lower gauge.  I am looking at 12 AWG components for my LS-6's and would love wire of the same size. 

Any suggestions on better internal speaker wire? 

Robert

I’ve experimented quite a bit with the wire gauge on loudspeakers, using various brands of stranded copper from Neotech, DUELUND, Kimber, Supra etc etc. Here is what I heard. After upgrading the Woofer wiring to 12AWG; it resulted in less bass. When I swapped over to 16AWG; the bass came back to where it should be.

OSIB16

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jan 2022, 09:33 pm »
However when working on subwoofers (e.g. Rel Quake) it is a different story. Using Neotech 12awg stranded copper improved the bass (it dropped through the floor).

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jan 2022, 10:24 pm »
However when working on subwoofers (e.g. Rel Quake) it is a different story. Using Neotech 12awg stranded copper improved the bass (it dropped through the floor).

Thanks for this feedback.  I am leaning towards Danny's wire as it is great for the price.  My biggest concern is that I'm doing an upgrade to the AV123 LS-6 speakers and will be using 12 awg inductors all around (copper foil).  I may be wrong in my thinking but was thinking using 16 awg wire would make the 12 awg parts useless. 

Is my thinking wrong there?

Robert