Get Back. The Beatles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Get Back. The Beatles
« Reply #40 on: 6 Dec 2021, 05:21 pm »
From what I understand the whole thing was Paul's idea.
George was in Los Angeles and wanted to go back there instead of being cold in England, John thought the idea was daft but went along with it and Ringo was up for whatever.

It's a shame they couldn't sit down and say why don't we take a break, each do a solo album and then meet back here in next Summer.

They do mention that when their manager died that they lost their 'dad'.  Maybe he was the only one that could have kept them together.  From the documentary, looking at the other people in their orbit it just seems like there's a bunch of 'yes men' around them.  It looks like Paul took on the parent role and it seems he resented it (based just on what I'm seeing in the doc). 

wushuliu

« Reply #41 on: 6 Dec 2021, 05:55 pm »
It's a shame they couldn't sit down and say why don't we take a break, each do a solo album and then meet back here in next Summer.

Yeah, which is exactly what George suggests they should have done in the 3rd ep! I agree with Tyson, losing Epstein really set John and Paul adrift. Though I don't get the sense Paul needed to take charge - it's just that they didn't care for his multi-media 'concept album' approach for everything, which by that point was wearing thin. Bit of a Roger Waters, Paul...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #42 on: 6 Dec 2021, 07:21 pm »
And then after they jollied George up they all turned around and told Ringo how to play the drums!
No wonder he was the first one to quit.

oskar

« Reply #43 on: 7 Dec 2021, 06:25 pm »
For those interested this is a rather long detailed article about the audio recording for the film and for the music.
They also describe the film end of it. Strangely there's a glaring error. They say that a 400' roll of 16mm runs for 20 minutes. Hmmm. In the miles of footage I've shot 400' will get you approx 11 minutes with run in-out. you'd get 20 minutes if you shot at 12fps but they obviously didn't do that.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/making-beatles-let-it-be-and-peter-jacksons-get-back-post-production

oskar

« Reply #44 on: 7 Dec 2021, 06:27 pm »
More tech. Here Jackson explains how they were able to create multi tracks from the mono location recordings.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-beatles-audio-stems-get-back

WGH

« Reply #45 on: 8 Dec 2021, 09:48 pm »
There is a comment in the documentary, I can't remember by whom, that they all live separately and have different friends. Part 1, Days 1-7 show the lads slowly shedding their individuality to become a band again. For George this was emotional process which affected John, Paul and Ringo. They all learned from the experience, were noticeably more relaxed with each other when George returned and George did get two songs he wrote (I Me Mine the last new song recorded by the Beatles and For You Blue) on Let It Be.

Extra credit reading:

The Sublime Spectacle of Yoko Ono Disrupting the Beatles

In Peter Jackson’s “The Beatles: Get Back,” Ono is a performance artist at the height of her powers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/arts/music/yoko-ono-beatles-get-back.html

Craig B

« Reply #46 on: 8 Dec 2021, 10:44 pm »
(I Me Mine the last new song recorded by the Beatles and For You Blue)

Do you mean "I Me Mine" was the last song they recorded for Let It Be? It was my understanding that "The End" from Abbey Road was the last time the four recorded together.

WGH

« Reply #47 on: 8 Dec 2021, 11:55 pm »
Both factoids are true, "The End" was the last time all four Beatles recorded together on July 23, 1969.

Although "The End" stands as the last known new recording involving all four members of the Beatles, one additional song, "I Me Mine", was recorded in January 1970 by three members of the group (Lennon privately left the group in September 1969) for the album Let It Be.

In the film, Harrison first plays the song to Ringo Starr, followed by a version performed by Harrison, Starr and Paul McCartney, during which John Lennon dances with Yoko Ono. All four Beatles were present for the writing of "I Me Mine", John's contribution was his approval with a dance, which might have been just as important as the music and lyrics, the boys collaborated in many different ways. The banter between John and Paul was sometimes indecipherable with in-jokes only they knew. When writing and performing it appeared they were of one mind.

Jrverbeke

« Reply #48 on: 14 Dec 2021, 02:14 am »
Going to start it tonight, looking forward to it!

ctviggen

« Reply #49 on: 27 Mar 2022, 02:35 pm »
My wife and I finally finished this.  We thought it was great, and fascinating, and gave us a new-found respect for the Beatles.  Neither of us really liked Paul McCartney, but we loved him after watching this. 

And they were all so talented -- all of them played piano, and I think all played drums.  It was incredible to see Paul singing a well-known song with no words, and then see what happened to the song over time.  In the beginning, it seemed like all Paul, then when they moved to the smaller space, it seemed like they gelled again as a band.

I was amazed at the different voices Paul could do, how the band could break into random songs that weren't theirs, and how well Paul and John got along and could harmonize together so easily. 

The show did drag in parts, but overall, it was fantastic.