Get Back. The Beatles

Craig B

Re: Get Back. The Beatles
« Reply #20 on: 2 Dec 2021, 12:42 pm »
Come on now. Go to your closet and sell some of those 100$ cables in there.
Then you can afford it.

I never said it wasn't affordable. If you look up a couple of posts you'll see my comment that a month's worth of the subscription is cheaper than a trip to the theater. But there's more to worth or value than just affordability.

Also, I don't have a closet of unused cables.  :wink:

oskar

« Reply #21 on: 2 Dec 2021, 02:57 pm »
I also don't have a cable closet thankfully.
If you haven't seen part three you're missing the roof top show. The culmination of everything that came before.
It was so nice to see the lads banging it out. It all comes together in a great performance; the sound is modern and timeless. They're fab.
Aside from all the details this is a historical document because they were the biggest phenoms ever.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #22 on: 2 Dec 2021, 03:47 pm »
The thing that struck me the most (I've just finished Part 1) was just what an immense talent Paul McCartney is.
That is one gifted fellow.

oskar

« Reply #23 on: 2 Dec 2021, 04:50 pm »

You mean the guy on the right of photo?

Craig B

« Reply #24 on: 2 Dec 2021, 08:44 pm »
I also don't have a cable closet thankfully.
If you haven't seen part three you're missing the roof top show. The culmination of everything that came before.
It was so nice to see the lads banging it out. It all comes together in a great performance; the sound is modern and timeless. They're fab.
Aside from all the details this is a historical document because they were the biggest phenoms ever.

Believe me, I expect part 3 to be all that and a bag of chips. I'd be champing at the bit to see the rooftop performance if I hadn't already seen a good-sized chunk of it in the original Let It Be film back in the '70s. I'm sure I'll get around to the final installment at some point.

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #25 on: 2 Dec 2021, 09:36 pm »
I don't remember a whole lot from the theatrical release as I saw it in its first run as a teenager, just that it seemed focused on the break up then the rooftop concert, basically a bummer of a movie.

Starting with P Jackson's Part Two and the move to Saville Row what I saw was a group of old friends hanging out having fun getting their groove back on. The rapport got better & stronger every day, kicking into high gear with Billy Preston’s arrival which seemed to galvanize the sessions. It really was amazing what they were able to turn out given the time constraint and what seemed like days lost at the less desirable Twickenham.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #26 on: 2 Dec 2021, 11:58 pm »
Not a Beatles fan, but not a hater.

This was WAY better than I expected.
My wife and I watched it all over 3 nites.
The HT system had a work out.

I am 61 so just a little young for the 60s revolution.
But I know how thwy impacted everything going forward.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 3 Dec 2021, 12:33 am »
Just finished part two, this is really good.
I think they were at their best when they were screwing around with the songs, they could be really funny.

wushuliu

« Reply #28 on: 3 Dec 2021, 02:07 am »
Fun fact: Michael Lindsey-Hogg has been rumored to be the son of Orson Welles (seriously). Watching the doc, I have zero doubts now. Same voice, same love of cigars, same grandiose vision (Beatles performing in an ancient stadium in front of 2000 Arabs? That is *so* Welles).

Onadifferentnote

« Reply #29 on: 3 Dec 2021, 03:36 am »
Is there any way somebody who doesn't have Disney+ is ever going to get to see this?

Don

Its like $8 for a month (cancel anytime)which is incredible to pay for 9 hours to sit with the Beatles as they write and record these songs.
Amazing time spent.
Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2021, 07:42 am by Onadifferentnote »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 5 Dec 2021, 07:25 am »
I just finished watching it, this was just great.
When those guys were "on" it was just magic.

Rocket

« Reply #31 on: 5 Dec 2021, 12:10 pm »
Hi Guys,

I finished watching the 3 part Get Back film a couple of days ago. The film really showed the talent of each member of the band. I thought that John Lennon just had so much natural talent that he just seemed to be able write so many songs so easily. It also highlighted that Paul McCartney was a really great musician and so meticulous just trying to get each of his songs to sound perfect.

I did think he was quite condescending towards George Harrison though. I'm a bit of fan George Harrison fan and he really blossomed as a song writer towards the later stages of the Beatles band.  On Abbey Road he had 2 of the best songs on the albums. Its such a pity they couldn't have taken a break for a couple of years but I guess that is music.

Cheers Rod

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 5 Dec 2021, 01:33 pm »
I'd say the high point was Part III, 1:37:50 in where John makes them laugh.
They were great.

mcmusicman

« Reply #33 on: 5 Dec 2021, 03:34 pm »
What Billy Preston brought to the table was magical.  Never knew how much he contributed to the songs I have loved for such a long time.

wushuliu

« Reply #34 on: 6 Dec 2021, 12:13 am »
What Billy Preston brought to the table was magical.  Never knew how much he contributed to the songs I have loved for such a long time.

All the more amazing considering how young he was and the trauma he suffered in his childhood. Talk about overcoming obstacles and how one person can make a difference, no matter how small it may seem...

wushuliu

« Reply #35 on: 6 Dec 2021, 12:34 am »
It also highlighted that Paul McCartney was a really great musician and so meticulous just trying to get each of his songs to sound perfect.

I did think he was quite condescending towards George Harrison though. I'm a bit of fan George Harrison fan and he really blossomed as a song writer towards the later stages of the Beatles band.  On Abbey Road he had 2 of the best songs on the albums. Its such a pity they couldn't have taken a break for a couple of years but I guess that is music.

Cheers Rod

My takeaway from the doc is less about the Beatles as a whole and more about George's evolution. As great as Paul and John were, they had an insular approach to their music. George was branching out and unafraid to work with or solicit input from any fellow musician. If it weren't for George, Preston would never have stopped by and thereby change the course of the recordings. He had that great comment in the doc that Dylan and (Clapton?) could join the Beatles, and they'd be happy to do it. I took it as his way of saying the band needed fresh input and they wouldn't have to twist anyone's arm either.

When I listen to All Things Must Pass now my first thought is 'this is an amazing album', followed by 'this would have been an *incredible* Beatles album'. It's the album they should have made together. But Paul and John were too set in their ways by that point.

From arguably the best solo album to producing great films like Life of Brian, Time Bandits, and Withnail and I, to his 'supergroup' Traveling Wilburys to his seminal musical philanthropy - George Harrison's career post-Beatles eclipses the rest of the band. Dark Horse indeed.

oskar

« Reply #36 on: 6 Dec 2021, 03:34 pm »
Agree with your comments about George. He really blossomed on his own.
Paul went a bit soft in the 70's and John kinda checked out after a few records.
To their discredit Lennon/McCartney did treat him unfairly and they knew it.
Witness the scene (audio only) of the two discussing the situation after George walked out.
And then listen to 'I Me Me Mine'.
You can't unring a bell but if they all had managed one more album....

Craig B

« Reply #37 on: 6 Dec 2021, 03:54 pm »

You can't unring a bell but if they all had managed one more album....

They did manage one more album, and it was phenomenal - Abbey Road.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #38 on: 6 Dec 2021, 04:35 pm »
I'm not a huge Beatles person, and granted I'm not done with the documentary yet, but coming in cold to the situation, it looks to me like McCartney is the only one taking things seriously.  Also he's clearly the one coming up with most of the songs.  Even the stuff that's co-credited with Lennon, it's easy to see that Paul's the one with the original idea most of the time.  At least so far. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 6 Dec 2021, 05:10 pm »
From what I understand the whole thing was Paul's idea.
George was in Los Angeles and wanted to go back there instead of being cold in England, John thought the idea was daft but went along with it and Ringo was up for whatever.

It's a shame they couldn't sit down and say why don't we take a break, each do a solo album and then meet back here in next Summer.