Advice on selling entire vinyl system - including albums

tinkerphile

With serious regrets, I'm giving serious consideration to selling my complete vinyl system, including the albums.  I'll assume it is most simple to break the advice into three separate questions:

a) I'm not sure I have neither the patience nor desire to sell the small vinyl collection individually; but I really don't know how much of a hit I'll take if I don't.  What say ye?  I have less than two hundred albums - just guessing approx.  Most all are mint.  Half purchased in England in the mid-seventies, so likely all British pressings, and many of the British bands.  The other half purchased in the U.S. in the seventies.  How would I determine a fair value today? 

b) Best place to sell the gear (I don't like Ebay)?  Some gear new(er); some vintage in nice condition:  a couple of highly popular NOS cartridges I've been saving to one day possibly use; a newly purchased AT Art9; preamps, and phono preamps (ifi Iphono and Herron Audio); vintage speakers JBL; vintage NOS SME tonearm; TD124 TT; Technics TT

c) I have the AT Art9 which I used maybe 40 hours that I have mounted on the SL1710 MK2 TT, just because I didn't want it on the Thorens, and I like the table. Should I sell it separately, or include the table for like a hundred bucks more?  And finally, what would the market bear for that cart?

Please note: I'm not using this thread to try to sell these items, but only to get the advice I've asked for.  Once I have that advice I'll decide based upon that.  I only generally identified the system/gear as I have in order to receive better, useful advice.  I hope that was in keeping with the rules here; and, it is likely some of the stuff should be sold elsewhere anyway. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Advice on selling entire vinyl system - including albums
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2021, 08:37 pm »
Discogs could be your best option to get close to market value for your vinyl. Selling in bulk to a dealer is often at a 90% discount.  US Audiomart is a good place to sell gear. 

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2021, 08:38 pm »
FWIW, I decided to exit vinyl in around 1990.  I advertised everything as a whole in one of the national ad mags of the day (Walt & Lennice?).  Finally I sold it all to a guy who wanted to get into vinyl and to this day I feel good about the transaction.  My collections of years went to someone who valued it and would use it.  He drove to my home from a neighboring state and we loaded it all as I answered any questions.  Hundreds of rock & roll albums, my Oracle table and Talisman S cartridge, phono preamps (I forget the arm mfr.) all gone.  To this day I remain happy with my decision to go all digital.  Just my 2 cents.

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2021, 10:46 pm »
I would post where you live, somebody here will likely get in touch via private messaging and may be able to pick it all up.

I would catalog the individual pieces with make and model number.

I haven't registered, but I believe Audiogon can give you an idea of the value of individual hi-fi pieces.

I would consider putting the vinyl up for sale in batches, i.e. Beatles, Stones, Japanese OBI, MoFi, etc. You can buy multi-depth mailers on Amazon, let the buyer pay shipping. British pressings command a premium, eil.com and discogs.com can give you an idea of value.

Good luck!

Paul

ric

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2021, 02:40 pm »
There's always the conundrum of wanting to get top dollar vs. wanting to get the merchandise gone. Here in California on Craigslist there are always people advertising to buy record collections, but at what price? Local record stores? Local audio society's? Ebay is always good to check and see what sells for what by looking up an item and going to "sold listings". If what you have is valuable people will find you. Good luck!

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2021, 03:09 pm »
I recommend Discogs, in the past I have purchased and sold some cds.

Grinnell

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2021, 02:17 am »
HiFi Shark for pricing equipment

Jrverbeke

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2021, 02:35 am »
Find local audiophile groups on here or Facebook and reach out to see if people are interested.