Modern Electron Theory and the Tube

Ericus Rex

Modern Electron Theory and the Tube
« on: 26 Nov 2021, 02:45 pm »
I've been looking at up-to-date electronics videos on Youtube.  The new theories are quite a departure from past conventions.  The electron, for instance, actually has virtually no role in a functioning circuit whereas in conventional electronics, the electron was considered so important the entire field was named after it.  This got me thinking about the electrons within tubes and wondering if they, too, are irrelevant.  I looked around Youtube for new theories on tube functionality but I guess the tube is considered too antiquated for modern physics!

So, does anyone know if conventional tube theory still holds true in a modern world?  My guess is electron flow within the tube is still the fundamental principle on how it works (as opposed to electron flow in wires which is actually unimportant), but I would love to hear from the experts on the subject.

Don_S

Re: Modern Electron Theory and the Tube
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2021, 03:49 pm »
A single electron does not "flow" 2M down a speaker cable like a molecule of water flows through a pipe.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2021, 08:38 pm by Don_S »

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2021, 08:05 pm »
Electricity is crazy!  :lol:  Even though there's a basic understanding on how it works, there's disagreement as well as a lack of understanding on the complete details. Go to YouTube and watch EEVblog 1439.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2021, 02:07 am »
I've been looking at up-to-date electronics videos on Youtube.  The new theories are quite a departure from past conventions.  The electron, for instance, actually has virtually no role in a functioning circuit whereas in conventional electronics, the electron was considered so important the entire field was named after it.  This got me thinking about the electrons within tubes and wondering if they, too, are irrelevant.  I looked around Youtube for new theories on tube functionality but I guess the tube is considered too antiquated for modern physics!

So, does anyone know if conventional tube theory still holds true in a modern world?  My guess is electron flow within the tube is still the fundamental principle on how it works (as opposed to electron flow in wires which is actually unimportant), but I would love to hear from the experts on the subject.
For solid proved physics on tubes see:
Inside The Vaccum Tube
by John F. Rider released 1945

PDF available for free online.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2021, 05:44 am by FullRangeMan »

rotarius

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2021, 04:58 am »
What? No advancement in particle physics since 1945?  I thought the standard model was completed in the 70s and verified by experiments in particle accelerators.  That and gravitational waves, all bogus?  Just a communist plot?    :icon_lol:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2021, 02:58 pm »
"Flow" is probably the wrong word when thinking of electron movement within a circuit.  I think "electron drift" is now the more accepted terminology. The electron will eventually travel 2 meters down your speaker cables but apparently that will take a few days.  Not so good for imaging!

I do know the EEV blog on Youtube.  That guy is pretty good about balancing actual physics with practical physics; 'yes, this is what is actually happening, blah, blah, blah. But in real-world electrical engineering you can think of it this way...'

The Rider paper is electrical shorthand. I'm asking about actual physics.

It seems to me that everything involving conventional tube theory has already been done.  Maybe an understanding of the actual physics involved would result in breakthroughs.  Heresy to the usual tube lover, I know....

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2021, 03:32 pm »
The electron will eventually travel 2 meters down your speaker cables

Er, no, it won't.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2021, 07:31 pm »
I can't speak about how tubes work but the signal flows outside of the speaker wires and it may be the reason that people claim that they can hear a difference when using speaker wire lifts.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2021, 07:41 pm »
Er, no, it won't.

Right. I forgot about AC.  Here to learn!