Alternate material for speaker base

Frannkki

Alternate material for speaker base
« on: 15 Nov 2021, 12:07 pm »
I am in the market for a set of NX-Tremes, but will have to move them a number of times due to house moves.  Is there any benefit to re-engineering the bases to cast iron with plate uprights to strengthen the base as i am concerned that the moving will break them? Also are there any other materials that are stronger with similar or better audio properties than MDF that could be substituted and not need the selling of a kidney?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Alternate material for speaker base
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2021, 02:55 pm »
Cast iron? Do you have a foundry?

I think the keys to moving them would be a good game plan, some extra hands and perhaps some short, padded bucks to lay them on their back edges and not put a lot of shear force on the base. They're not fragile, but like any piece of furniture, they're not what I'd call bomb-proof.

MDF, in spite of folks not loving it, has some distinct advantages when it comes to speaker building. Without getting into hyper-expensive exotic sheet material and associated machining cost, MDF has far more positive attributes than negative. Also, the MDF that Jay and Don use for cabinets is not garden variety stuff. It's the best the industry has to offer.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2021, 05:44 pm »
In the 1990s Hi-Fi Choice mag informed stone base increase the bass freq under 60Hz.

subsonic1050

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2021, 06:31 pm »
The way Jay has designed the NX-Treme's there are 6 wooden dowels that align the base, and then 6 screws that hold it in place. If you don't glue the base on it is removable by removing the 6 screws. If I were to move them (which I am doing this weekend), I would remove the base and then lay them on their side (the side of the full wing). This would allow them to lay completely flat with the base removed.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2021, 12:04 am »
I have moved my pair all over the place and even to one show. The bases were not an issue. Everything has been plenty solid.

Frannkki

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2021, 02:27 pm »
Chaps,

Thanks, appreciate the advice.