Looking for someone that has pictures of the RPM-500m Crossover

Jason72

Does anyone have pictures of the GR-Research Klipsch RP-500m crossover upgrade that they have done?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Hi,
The Starting Block Circle is really for people to introduce themselves.
This question/thread is best posted in the GR Research Circle, so I wll move it there for you now

Jason72

Thank you.

kyrio_s

I will be putting this kit together soon, with help from @E-Zee.  I'll post pics of the layout when it's done.  Feel free to reach out to Elon directly for similar advice and/or crossover assembly.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
Ive been in discussion regarding this RP-500m kit now with a couple different people.  I'm working on some physical layout drawings for this model today.  The challenge is there are two fairly large capacitors and two inductors all on the woofer circuit.  The good part is there is plenty of room inside the cabinet, the internal bracing is not overly impeding, and the woofer opening over 4" diameter is plenty even for the largest of the components.  End result is this is likely going to require that the tweeter and woofer circuits are separated into two separate boards. One will mount to a side wall, the second will mount either on opposite side wall or on floor of cabinet.

I'm not giving up on ability to put it all on one board, on side wall, but it will require some component stacking such as placing one of the large woofer capacitors on top of the layed down inductor, and everything else will have to be very well organized and condensed on hopefully a 4"x10" board. 

I'd say in comparison with other kits, this is only a medium difficulty.  It will require some careful layout planning but definitely not something that i'd say would require a buyer warning due to difficulty.

Personally, I'm very much a fan of the RP-500m and RP-600m and think that as long as you are buying the speakers at sale price, that even with the added cost of upgrades, they are both worthwhile purchases.

I'll have a layout worked out for those couple people that have reached out.  For anyone else looking for help with other assemblies or layouts, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Elon

Elon@ezeescrossovers.com

ezeescrossovers.com

Jason72

I am looking forward to it. 

It is depressing if this is medium difficulty.  I guess that is why I am computer sales and not building crossovers  :)

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
Collectively, a couple of us spent quite a bit of time with this one.  We tried different layouts on a board, inside the cabinet.  End result for anyone else building RP-500m is that keeping the two circuits separate and putting them each on their own board makes for reasonably straight forward install.   I really wanted to keep it all on one board and thought it would be possible.  There is enough space for the board, but not enough height for the components.  The brace on side wall forces you to raise the board over the brace and then the internal port flare gets in the way of the components on the already raised board. 

Separating to two boards let's you put the larger woofer circuit on floor of cabinet and the smaller tweeter circuit on side wall while being small enough that the internal brace does not interfere. 

Once accepting that it requires two separate boards this should still be a reasonable install and not something for anyone to be afraid of. 

Elon

ezeescrossovers.com