Brad Nails for X-CS Flat Pack

freefall-fast

Brad Nails for X-CS Flat Pack
« on: 29 Oct 2021, 06:25 pm »
I am not a wood worker, my friend insist that the center speaker needs to be brad nailed with the glue. Does it matter either way as I do not have the nailing equipment anyway.

Thanx 

Chewbacca

Re: Brad Nails for X-CS Flat Pack
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2021, 06:34 pm »
If you are able to clamp the cabinet together adequately, you absolutely do not need to use any sort of nails or screws.

In a woodworking manufacturing setting, using clamps and waiting for glue to dry is just not viable, so nails, screws, etc. are used to keep everything situated until the glue dries.

In a case like this, where waiting for the glue to dry shouldn't be an issue, I would NOT suggest using any sort of fasteners on speakers. They add little to nothing as far as strength, and you're throwing additional metal inside of a speaker :nono:

freefall-fast

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2021, 06:36 pm »
Cool, Thanx for the fast reply, I'll try to break the news to him gently lol

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2021, 06:36 pm »
The only thing brad nailing really accomplishes is holding the parts in place while clamping. Do addy run with your clamps first to make sure you know where and in what order to place them so all parts are aligned and all seams are tight. Then remove clamps, apply glue, clamp in your predetermined order and locations, check to insure square and all joints are closed, adjust clamps if needed, then let dry.

I’ve built many cabinets without brad nails

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2021, 06:38 pm »
For me the only thing brad nailing really accomplishes is holding the parts in place while clamping. Do a dry run with your clamps first to make sure you know where and in what order to place them so all parts are aligned and all seams are tight. Then remove clamps, apply glue, clamp in your predetermined order and locations, check to insure square and all joints are closed, adjust clamps if needed, then let dry.

I’ve built many cabinets without brad nails

That didn’t work right