Random Crossover Question

MattSelinger

Random Crossover Question
« on: 28 Oct 2021, 07:04 pm »
After building 2 of Danny's great speaker kits (X-LS Encore and NX-Studio) I wanted to apply some of what I have been learning to another set of speakers I built a couple years ago.  The Solstice - designed by Jeff Bagby (sold by Parts Express) has some crossover parts that I wanted to upgrade.  I replaced the resistors and capacitors with higher quality and added a MIFLEX bypass cap on the tweeter circuit.  My question - on the tweeter circuit there are two resistors that I believe are applying attenuation (L-Pad).  I could not find the same values that were in the original crossover (in the quality/brand I wanted) so I chose some slightly different values.  The calculator I used showed the values I picked would provide a 3dB attenuation.  I could not figure out how to back calculate what the original design values were applying for attenuation.  I am looking for someone to tell me if the values I chose will dramatically alter the behavior of the crossover.

I have included the crossover diagram and my resistor values noted in blue.  Note this crossover design is readily available for download at Parts Express so no worries here about showing the crossover details.

Much appreciation!!!

In case the diagram is difficult to read.  3 Ohm vs 2.5 Ohm and 25 Ohm vs 20 Ohm

mkane

Re: Random Crossover Question
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2021, 12:05 am »
 Surely there must be a resistor out there with the values you need. Try Parts Connection

mkane

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2021, 12:23 am »
I would check out the 12W Mills resistors.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/cgi-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*20b7b4534d0a875b77f1157d6bb78322a865&search_field=Mills+12w

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2021, 01:17 am »
I skimmed the page below. I think if you plug in the required values you will get the attenuation values you are looking for.

https://sound-au.com/articles/l-pad-calc.htm#s1

MattSelinger

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2021, 01:44 pm »
Thanks for the responses!  That calculator is exactly what I have been hunting for and could not find.  I found several L-Pad calculators but they did not back calculate the existing network values.  Using this calculator the difference in the attenuation would be about 0.34 dB (3.49 dB attenuation with the original vs 3.15 with the different values).  So, slightly less attenuation with the new crossover.  My guess is this change would not be noticeable - to find a difference I would need to break out the measurement gear.

Thank you for the input and responses.  Much appreciation!