Tube pre-amp with SS Amp or SS pre-amp and tube amp

DannyBadorine

I'm looking for opinions on the tube and solid state combinations that people like.  Pros and cons of having a tube pre-amp with solid state power amp.  Pros and cons of having a solid state pre-amp with tube amp.  I'm also open to an all tube or all solid state opinion but I'm pretty set on having some tubes in the chain.
This will be mostly used for records but I will do some high quality streaming through it.  The speakers will be some of my home-made boxes utilizing GR research drivers and a Bohlender Graebener planar tweeter (2x M165/16 for lows, one m130 for mids and the planar for highs).  I would like to be able to drive the system pretty hard and I plan on adding some open baffle subs from GR research.

Meicheng

Re: Tube pre-amp with SS Amp or SS pre-amp and tube amp
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2021, 03:15 am »
My vote is for a tubed preamp and solid state power amp.  I had great success with my own system, an Erhard Audio tube preamp with a Van Alstine solid state power amp.  The combo is great.  I think to get a really good sounding tubed power amp is quite expensive, whereas there are some very good tubed preamps around $1,000 like Schiit Freya+, 10 Octave Audio and others. 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2021, 03:29 am »
My vote is for a tubed preamp and solid state power amp.  I had great success with my own system, an Erhard Audio tube preamp with a Van Alstine solid state power amp.  The combo is great.  I think to get a really good sounding tubed power amp is quite expensive, whereas there are some very good tubed preamps around $1,000 like Schiit Freya+, 10 Octave Audio and others.

I'm currently leaning towards what you're suggesting since it's easier to have more power with a solid state power amplifier.  But I do love the sounds of some good power tubes.

mcmusicman

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2021, 03:56 am »
I recently upgraded my preamp to an EAR Yoshino 868 with Matsushita NOS 6922 Tubes. The Amplifier is a Bryston 4B3.  I could not be more pleased with the results. My Magnepans need the power to show their true capability. Since I stream, it is a natural choice to have tubes between the DAC and the Amplifier. Some digital purists call this sacrilege but I find the sound emotionally involving and ideal for my ears.
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2021, 12:39 pm by mcmusicman »

jjss49

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2021, 05:13 am »
depends on the speakers you are driving (and the room/volume level desired)

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2021, 10:59 am »
Hi Guys,

I've always had a tube preamp/ss amplifier combination until quite recently. I am a bit of a fan of spread spectrum technologies products and I have had both the Ambrosia preamp and Phoebe preamplifiers in my system.

Previously, I was using a Red Wine Audio Isabella preamplifier which I really liked.  I like to swap gear in and out of my system as this is my hobby. In the end though I think my current system using both ss preamp and ss amplifier sounds really really high end. I think it really all depends on the quality of the product as opposed to thinking that a tube preamp and ss amp is the best combination to gain an organic sound quality playback in our systems.

I hope what I've written makes sense lol.

Cheers Rod

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2021, 12:32 pm »
I think it really all depends on the quality of the product as opposed to thinking that a tube preamp and ss amp is the best combination...

Here's your answer.

RonP

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2021, 01:09 pm »
My vote is for a tubed preamp and solid state power amp.  I had great success with my own system

+1 to this.. there were certain things i just didn't hear until I went to a tube preamp. I really got a 360deg sound once dropping the BAT PreAmp into place.

seikosha

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2021, 01:54 pm »
It’s going to depend on what you value most in your listening and also what your speakers respond to best.  Slam vs. soundstaging vs. dimensionality, room size  etc etc. will all determine what works best for you.  There is no universal correct answer.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2021, 05:54 pm »
I've tried all SS, tube preamp/SS amp, SS preamp/tube amp of various combinations over the years. What I discovered through trial and <much> error is that tube preamp/tube amp is most pleasing to my ears in my main system. However, my backup amp is SS in the event I blow a tube or summer gets too toasty. I haven't used my backup amp since August of last year though.

Once I was certain of my preference for tube sound, I followed up with a NOS tube DAC. I'm deliriously content with the music my main system produces.

I've got a bedroom system that is an all-in-one SS that I'm happy to have (as long as it stays there). It doesn't sound as nice in my living room.

There's no 100% correct answer. Everyone's system, ears, expectations, room acoustics, etc. are different, so what works best will be different depending on many variables. If you can borrow components from friends to try out, you can save a lot of money. Regardless, do try to experiment with different combinations till you find which combination works best for you.

Good luck, and enjoy the journey. It can be such a blast.  :thumb: Let us know what you try out and what you buy.

P.S. If you do buy tube gear, I recommend buying an extra set of tubes in case a tube burns out. It sucks when you must wait a week or two (or longer?) for a replacement tube to arrive. It can get expensive when you buy backup tubes for an amp, preamp and DAC.  :duh:

Michael

Chewbacca

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2021, 07:10 pm »
In my case I've limited myself to using a tubed preamp, into SS amplifiers.

Really the only reason why I haven't gone down the path of a tubed amplifier is my amp does double duty for 2 channel and HT usage... It would just make my skin crawl knowing I was using some nice NOS tubes while watching Frasier... :lol:

But if my system was 100% dedicated to music, I would likely have an all tube system. Every component not used for HT is tubed. HT is all SS.

In addition SS is less prone to have RFI/EMI; which I have one of the worst situations I've ever heard of for the issue. Kitty corner to me is a huge radio tower... While playing guitar, one of my overdrive petals acts as an antenna. It will play the radio station through the amp (which is tubed) louder than someone talking right next to you. Suffice to say, I no longer can use my OD favorite pedal :(

Even on bad days on my stereo system, I usually have to move my RCA cables around to find the sweet spot where they don't pick up RFI... Sometimes I can get it so it plays through my stereo as loud as someone talking. Other times/days you can't even hear it with your ear right next to the speakers. I think a tubed amp would only add to my immeasurable frustration with this issue :oops:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2021, 08:25 pm »
P.S. If you do buy tube gear, I recommend buying an extra set of tubes in case a tube burns out. It sucks when you must wait a week or two (or longer?) for a replacement tube to arrive. It can get expensive when you buy backup tubes for an amp, preamp and DAC.  :duh:

Michael

In the old days, this is why they use to sell tubes in 'sleeves' of 5 tubes.  4 for the amp and 1 for backup.  Smart.

Khorn

« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2021, 02:48 pm »
I’ve recently gone back to a tube preamp and SS power amp after many years of all SS. I find this works best for me and quite substantially.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2021, 04:45 pm »
I’ve recently gone back to a tube preamp and SS power amp after many years of all SS. I find this works best for me and quite substantially.

Which preamp and power amp are you using?

thorman

« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2021, 05:00 pm »
 To me the most important thing to think about is what type of music you play and what fits best. I don't think it matters a whole lot whether SS or Tubes. If you listen to low volume late night music, all tubes would be awesome. If you like Loud Rock , well you need to go SS Amp with maybe a nice Tube Preamp  ( which will help ) .  With todays gear SS and Tubes are now closer than ever so do your homework and keep an open mind. More than likely Cost will dictate more than anything. Also today's Integrated amps are also a great choice with very little sacrifice in sound and in many cases a better choice .

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #15 on: 21 Oct 2021, 06:22 pm »
I run a BAT tube preamp with my Pass amp and could not be happier.  I like the fact that there are more options for high power and high current with SS.

RPM123

« Reply #16 on: 21 Oct 2021, 11:45 pm »
In my case I've limited myself to using a tubed preamp, into SS amplifiers.

Really the only reason why I haven't gone down the path of a tubed amplifier is my amp does double duty for 2 channel and HT usage... It would just make my skin crawl knowing I was using some nice NOS tubes while watching Frasier... :lol:

But if my system was 100% dedicated to music, I would likely have an all tube system. Every component not used for HT is tubed. HT is all SS.

In addition SS is less prone to have RFI/EMI; which I have one of the worst situations I've ever heard of for the issue. Kitty corner to me is a huge radio tower... While playing guitar, one of my overdrive petals acts as an antenna. It will play the radio station through the amp (which is tubed) louder than someone talking right next to you. Suffice to say, I no longer can use my OD favorite pedal :(

Even on bad days on my stereo system, I usually have to move my RCA cables around to find the sweet spot where they don't pick up RFI... Sometimes I can get it so it plays through my stereo as loud as someone talking. Other times/days you can't even hear it with your ear right next to the speakers. I think a tubed amp would only add to my immeasurable frustration with this issue :oops:

Wow, sounds like you need to invest in some shielded cables! Many companies offer a trial period for their cables, so you can audition them without any risk.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2021, 02:49 am »
Wow, sounds like you need to invest in some shielded cables! Many companies offer a trial period for their cables, so you can audition them without any risk.

I agree.  I would try some BlueJeans cables LC-1's which are heavily shielded from end to end.  If they fix the problem then you could try some more expensive shielded cables.  Mogami 2549 is also shielded pretty well.  Also, keep your cables as short as you can.

Also consider shielding sleeving for all your cables, even the power cords.  There is a lot available.

https://www.mcmaster.com/emi-rfi-shielding-sleeving/

Also, you might want to contact Patrick Cullen from Cullen cables.  He hand builds cables and can make custom cables.  He may be able to help you out with heavily shielded RCA's and Power cords.  He is a great guy to work with.

https://www.cullencable.com/

Too bad your system is not fully balanced as you could use XLR's.

Chewbacca

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2021, 02:23 pm »

I agree.  I would try some BlueJeans cables LC-1's which are heavily shielded from end to end.  If they fix the problem then you could try some more expensive shielded cables.  Mogami 2549 is also shielded pretty well.  Also, keep your cables as short as you can.

Also consider shielding sleeving for all your cables, even the power cords.  There is a lot available.

https://www.mcmaster.com/emi-rfi-shielding-sleeving/

Also, you might want to contact Patrick Cullen from Cullen cables.  He hand builds cables and can make custom cables.  He may be able to help you out with heavily shielded RCA's and Power cords.  He is a great guy to work with.

https://www.cullencable.com/

Too bad your system is not fully balanced as you could use XLR's.

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I certainly need to invest into better interconnects, and most likely power cords as well. I have gone through a few different brands of "shielded" cables, one of which is the BlueJeans LC-1's, and they didn't prove to be much help.

Ideally I'd like to get a couple sets of Hapa Audio Breathe C cables. I'm not sure how well "shielded" they are, as I don't believe they really are, they just have geometry that cancels out RFI. So these may be the ticket I need as regular shielding doesn't seem to work too well.

I've also been looking into VH Audio's Pulsar DIY interconnects: https://www.vhaudio.com/images/pulsar-cu-occ.jpg

Also Triode Wire Labs, Iconoclast, and a few other brands... I'll definitely check out Cullen Cables! :thumb:

Honestly I start looking into cabling and I get so overwhelmed. Every cable review is "this is the best cable, bettering cables 10x the price". Okay. Not every cable can tout that.

But yes... I think I need to try a few 30 day trials of some cable brands. I just have a hard time buying 3 different cables, knowing I'm going to return 2 of them. Being overly considerate of the companies that would have to restock those cables is my undoing :shake:

Didn't mean to hijack the thread! :duh:

RPM123

« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2021, 09:40 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I certainly need to invest into better interconnects, and most likely power cords as well. I have gone through a few different brands of "shielded" cables, one of which is the BlueJeans LC-1's, and they didn't prove to be much help.

Ideally I'd like to get a couple sets of Hapa Audio Breathe C cables. I'm not sure how well "shielded" they are, as I don't believe they really are, they just have geometry that cancels out RFI. So these may be the ticket I need as regular shielding doesn't seem to work too well.

I've also been looking into VH Audio's Pulsar DIY interconnects: https://www.vhaudio.com/images/pulsar-cu-occ.jpg

Also Triode Wire Labs, Iconoclast, and a few other brands... I'll definitely check out Cullen Cables! :thumb:

Honestly I start looking into cabling and I get so overwhelmed. Every cable review is "this is the best cable, bettering cables 10x the price". Okay. Not every cable can tout that.

But yes... I think I need to try a few 30 day trials of some cable brands. I just have a hard time buying 3 different cables, knowing I'm going to return 2 of them. Being overly considerate of the companies that would have to restock those cables is my undoing :shake:

Didn't mean to hijack the thread! :duh:

PM me and I can recommend someone who may be able to help.