Bryston New Packaging

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Bryston New Packaging
« on: 6 Oct 2021, 10:43 am »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Packaging – Thumbs Up – Thumbs Down?

October, 2021

THE NEW FAUX CRATE PACK

We have been slowly migrating to a new look for the Bryston packaging.  When complete the new look will include leather belts, or other form of reusable strapping for repacking (the current plastic straps are temporary), and a complete plastic shrink wrap of the carton.  The reusable belts/straps will allow for easy repackaging and provide handles for easier carrying.  Below is a look at the old and the new:

Our initial surveys indicated that consumers overwhelmingly loved the new packaging.  What we are not sure of is the feeling about it at the dealer/distributor level as we have received wildly mixed reviews; and as such we need to decide whether to continue down this path of the new packaging or just return to the original standard carton. 

We would love to have your feedback on the future direction for packaging. 

thorman

Re: Bryston New Packaging
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2021, 11:00 am »
To me protection is the most important thing. Adding " Bling " to a component to me adds cost that will be past on to the List price to the piece being sold and to me it is just a waste...Noting wrong with the old way of packing....

GrooveControl

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2021, 12:16 pm »
I agree with thorman. 

Also, the straps will probably get damaged in shipping as they stick out, and it doesn’t look like they will stack as neatly as the current boxes..

Thumbs down.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2021, 01:32 pm »
The new packaging only adds bling, which adds to the price.
Also, it makes the product less stable on a pallet in transport, and more prone to accidents.

Clive197

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2021, 02:06 pm »
I understand the reasoning for the new packaging but don’t think it’s a good idea for reasons mentioned above.

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2021, 02:56 pm »
It's impossible to give an opinion from those poor photographs. From what I can see, it looks like the new packaging could possibly be better. If the new top and bottom provide additional corner protection vs. the old box and adds structural rigidity to the package, I see that positive as outweighing the previously mentioned negatives. In the big picture, another $25-50 for sturdy reusable packaging is a plus in my view. The potential for snagging the straps is greatly reduced by shrink wrapping the package but what about secondary reshipments? Those straps better be very sturdy. (I've always used nylon strapping secured with steel clamps on all my heavy shipments without ever having problems.)

I find the traditional cardboard box packaging of most audio gear to be easily damaged and punctured. REL subwoofers have the worst packaging of any audio product I've ever purchased, totally inadequate protection. The best cardboard box packaging I've purchased was Luxman's: triple boxes of double wall cardboard with generous use of closed cell foam inside. 

jbuzas

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2021, 03:06 pm »
If the new packaging is easier to lift and carry, and provides more protection for the unit, I'm all for it.

mav52

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2021, 05:20 pm »
 Is there any structural rigidity to protect the corners. But if the new box fails to protect the contents, bling is all it is. As long as the new box provides protection for the $$$ inside the box. I can see it now, UPS, FedX drivers carrying the new box to the door by the straps. Is this just a money saving shipping alternative for Bryston or a proven shipping box that has stood the test of time.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2021, 05:31 pm »
The packaging that came with my now twelve year old Bryston preamp amp phono box.. was average at best to give it a good name. it was made to ship once. the amp in particular I would certainly fear ever having to send in for repair in that box without double boxing it plus
I shuddered to send the phono back. but it was all right when it came back. SO lucky it did a good enough job. but all it would take is one fall off a conveyor, or a drop from a table to ruin the equipment.
In comparison some packaging is far worse, Sony in particular with my SCD 777 the box was a particularly garbage item for a 40+ lb CD player.
The finest packaging has been Audio Research. with double boxes and a 1" layer of foam in between. And one can still buy replacements for $100 each. Close seconds are some old PS Audio and the now defunct Threshold. (of the companies I have owned such boxes)

So after saying that I find a better box to be a wonderful investment by Bryston. (and even if like AR they cost $100 each to replace) well worth it.
So a giant Thumbs up on the fancy new boxes. As long as it really is made to survive multiple shipping events, and being dropped.  and is not just bling

veloceleste

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2021, 06:25 pm »
I would rather see double boxing with a substantial double walled outer box.

JCarney

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2021, 06:50 pm »
I agree the new box looks cool and substantial, but bulkier and larger. A properly packed double boxed unit with the rigid foam around the gear is the way to go. Just my stupid opinion.

JCarney

mcmusicman

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2021, 08:07 pm »
Two Thumbs Up.  If the amp comes with a 20 year warranty, I want the box to last 20 years also.  :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2021, 09:22 am »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Survey – New Packaging Vs Old?

October, 2021

Hi Folks,

Thank you for talking part in our survey regarding the traditional Bryston packaging vs the new.

Based on your feedback the majority wants us to return to the older style traditional packaging.

We also received some interesting suggestions on how to improve on the traditional packing which we will certainly entertain.

Again, thank you all for your participation and there will be a few weeks needed to transition back to our original packing style.

James,
Bryston

john1970

« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2021, 02:28 pm »
I would also strongly encourage double boxing of heavier components that weigh more than 40 lbs.  When I ordered my BIT20 the box was damaged in transit and I don't know if I could reuse the box if I had to ship it back for service.   

OTM

« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2021, 10:02 pm »
I agree,
if double boxed perhaps a high density foamed layer between boxes could be molded into a handle/grip

gbaby

« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2021, 01:58 pm »
To me protection is the most important thing. Adding " Bling " to a component to me adds cost that will be past on to the List price to the piece being sold and to me it is just a waste...Noting wrong with the old way of packing....

I agree 100%.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #16 on: 8 Oct 2021, 07:05 pm »
James

yes, please keep the old packaging. i know the packages you get from Axiom (i ordered a 7.0 set including a pair of M80 ). The problem that i see with these boxes is that you might get in trouble if you would want to sell the speakers (talking about shipping). It's nice that the leather belts are reuseable but the whole box itself has a clunky charm.

al.
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2021, 08:58 pm by alexone »

bunkertoy

« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2021, 01:41 pm »
I think an upgraded box is needed, but maybe not the style listed.

It's really awesome that you reach out to the consumers on such things.

Look forward to see the changes if any.

Cheers

Luxmancl38

« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2021, 05:46 pm »
I just picked up my 3B Cube yesterday. It was in the old box. My dealer had some other Bryston gear that was also sent, in the new box. He likes the old box better. As for me after waiting 3 months, old box, new box, carrier pigeon I'm glad the amp is here. As much as I liked my 2.5 SST2 this a big step up in SQ. I did have one OMG moment. When I hooked up the amp I pressed in the power button and nothing. No lights dead. I went back to the manual and discovered I forgot to turn on the Master Circuit Breaker :duh:All is well. Great job. :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2021, 06:21 pm »
I just picked up my 3B Cube yesterday. It was in the old box. My dealer had some other Bryston gear that was also sent, in the new box. He likes the old box better. As for me after waiting 3 months, old box, new box, carrier pigeon I'm glad the amp is here. As much as I liked my 2.5 SST2 this a big step up in SQ. I did have one OMG moment. When I hooked up the amp I pressed in the power button and nothing. No lights dead. I went back to the manual and discovered I forgot to turn on the Master Circuit Breaker :duh:All is well. Great job. :thumb:

WHEW  :D