Some Blues for your Spatials

Desertpilot

• Retired
Some Blues for your Spatials
« on: 5 Oct 2021, 09:38 pm »
I discovered an exceptional album yesterday.  Blues music that is a thrilling listen on my Spatial X3s (2 channel Stereo).  Aside from the music, is the "one" microphone concept pioneered by Sound Liaison:  "The advantages of the One Microphone approach to recording are obvious; phase coherence, perfect imaging, great sense of depth, superior realism. Another advantage is that it forces the band being recorded to really play. There is nowhere to hide, no fixing it in the mix".

YouTube trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_62aOb4j3c&list=TLGGYc7FC282O0EwNTEwMjAyMQ&t=1s

Available for download at Sound Liaison:  https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/677-up-jumped-the-devil-carmen-gomes-inc

The album is reviewed in depth at Audiophile Style forumhttps://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/sound-liaison-one-mic-recording-r957/

The reason I am posting this album is it offers an example of all the qualities open baffle speakers do well, kick drum, soft brushes on snare and cymbals, double bass, vocals and guitar.  The X3s handled all of it exceptionally well.

Sound Liaison also offers FREE samplers of all their audio formats for you to "test" on your system.  Initially there was a glitch (a bad microphone) which is now fixed.  https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/6-compare-formats

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2021, 12:05 pm by Desertpilot »

geerock

Re: Some Blues for your Spatials
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2021, 12:30 am »
Desertpilot
And everyone else......
Listening to Carmen Gomes now.  Pretty good stuff.
Heres one for you if you havent heard her before.....try Eva Cassidy.  Her rendition of Stormy  Monday is exquisite.  Autumn Leaves is another favorite.

bbybaudio

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2021, 02:30 pm »
Mapleshade recodings is similar, minimal miking, no filtering, equalization, noise reduction, overdubbing or compression. I have several of their CDs and it is as if you are at the venue in the front. Particularly like "Clifford Jordan, Live at Ethell's."

bbybaudio

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2021, 02:33 pm »
For Geerock, Eva Cassidy, Live at Blues Alley is spectacular. Stormy Monday is great but  in my opinion "What a Wonderful World" steals the album.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2021, 04:14 pm »
Geerock & Bbybaudio.  That you so much for your contribution.  I was very nervous posting an album in the Spatial forum.  But, while all the technical threads are very helpful, I thought some music that takes advantage of OB speakers would be fun.

Marcus

geerock

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2021, 05:19 pm »
For Geerock, Eva Cassidy, Live at Blues Alley is spectacular. Stormy Monday is great but  in my opinion "What a Wonderful World" steals the album.

Bbybaudio
I had family in the Norfolk Va area and they knew about my love for music and always talked about a regional talent named Eva Cassidy.  I went for a visit one summer in the early 90's and, lo and behold, Eva was performing at an area club.  We went there and, to this day, it was one of the finest performances I've ever seen and certainly the most emotional.  She could make people cry with her music.  She could absolutely mesmerize a crowd.  And, unfortunately, it wasnt too long after that she was diagnosed with cancer and died at the tender age of 33.

Mr. Big

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2021, 09:02 pm »
Lots of well-recorded Blues from the masters of it were recorded in the 1950s when the goal was to make you feel they were in the room playing with real color tone and dynamics. The NOW label does a lot of computations of Blues, Bear Family Label had great sets of Blues. Smithsonian Label also.

bbybaudio

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2021, 09:36 pm »
Geerock, many years ago I went to by Eva Cassidy, Live at Blues Alley as a Stereophile R2D4. When I could not find the CD on the shelves I asked the staff who informed me I was looking in the wrong section! She is not a blues artist but a folk/spiritual artist. Finally had to order said CD, but after all these years remains one of my faves.