New to the Forum

INXS69

New to the Forum
« on: 5 Oct 2021, 12:48 am »
I am new to the forum looking for solutions to my recent purchase of the Klipsch RP8000F. I purchased the speakers after reading and listening to the reviews however I am somewhat disappointed. There is definitely a mid range void with these speakers and the tweeter is ear piercingly high. I came across the GR Research website and I have to say Danny Richie was spot on with his analysis. I am looking at ways I can change the my listening experience with an upgrade or they are going straight on to eBay. Love to hear anyones thoughts.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: New to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2021, 06:04 am »
Danny has an upgrade kit for that model so you can either put another $400 into them and do the upgrade or sell them  and put the money towards a pair of X-MTM Encores with upgraded crossovers.

The upgrade will be less work. For what you’d spend on the upgrade plus what you’d get for the Klipschs, the X-MTM Encores with upgraded crossovers will be better speakers than the upgraded Klipsch.

The cost either way would be about the same so it comes down to how much work you want to do.

subsonic1050

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2021, 06:11 am »
I am new to the forum looking for solutions to my recent purchase of the Klipsch RP8000F. I purchased the speakers after reading and listening to the reviews however I am somewhat disappointed. There is definitely a mid range void with these speakers and the tweeter is ear piercingly high. I came across the GR Research website and I have to say Danny Richie was spot on with his analysis. I am looking at ways I can change the my listening experience with an upgrade or they are going straight on to eBay. Love to hear anyones thoughts.

After building several speakers designed by GR Research I feel pretty comfortable stating that the upgrade kit would provide a very significant improvement. However, as a baseline, I think it's also important to ask how many hours are on the speakers right now? How do you have them set up?

INXS69

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2021, 07:01 am »
Thank you for the reply. Currently I have been running them as 2 channels only to assist with breaking them in. I would have about 40-50 hours on them so far.

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:14 pm »
I was a bit skeptical of "break-in" until I got to experience the harshness first-hand with my new A/V-1RS speakers that I built.   I was watching Batman Begins (4K UHD disc) a couple weekends ago, and the scene where his parents are shot about blew my eardrums.   After that, I ran them through an MP3 burn-in ("frybaby...") that I found on here, and after 48 hours or so, they sounded significantly better (harshness reduced, more depth, more natural).

That said, I would definitely recommend the upgrade at the very least.   I still use Klipsch in my game room (what was my former "media room"), so now I have a direct A/B comparison of what I thought was great sound to what I KNOW is great sound, and I'm still optimizing.   Once you hear the difference in Danny's speaker designs compared to off-the-shelf name brands, there's no going back.

INXS69

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2021, 12:00 am »
You wouldn't believe it I now have one speaker louder than the other. The higher frequencies in the horn tweeter is much lower unlike the other speaker. I checked the amplifiers settings and connected the speaker on both the left and right channel the diagnosis is still the same. I have checked both speaker connections including terminal plates are secured in position. I contacted the  Klipsch dealer I purchased them from and states the cross over may have failed. I am definitely not off to a good start with Klipsch.

I will need to make a decision with what to do with these speakers. The Klipsch dealer will not take them back which is understandable so I either do the upgrade or sell them and look at what Danny has to offer. Unfortunately, I have 5 other Klipsch speakers in my set up and this was the last replacement for my front stage. I would have preferred the RF 7 iii to match my RC 64 iii centre but the budget didn't allow for it. The RF 8000F were a substitute but I didn't think the quality this dramatic.

I downloaded the 'crybaby mp3' and give it a try. How long did you cycle the signal through your speakers.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2021, 12:38 am »
Once you hear the difference in Danny's speaker designs compared to off-the-shelf name brands, there's no going back.

Well, there are some excellent speakers out there by different makers but they cost a lot more.  That said, I’m in no hurry to get rid of Danny’s speakers.

antiprnt

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2021, 03:29 am »

Welcome! I'm new too.  I hope I'm not thread jacking, just figured the subject line seemed appropriate.  I had purchased a bunch of av123 items from back in the day to include a x-voce that I left for my father.  I was always amazed by it and hadn't owned any centers better then it.  I figured it was time to go hunting for one second hand or something thinking it's definitely discontinued.  Did some google searching and boom, found GR Research.  I looked for the x-voce many years ago but never had success so gave up for a couple of years.  Timing worked out great I guess and was able to find all of the X series speakers on Gr Research.  Took a 5+ year break from AV items, and now I seem to have regained the interest.  Really nice to see an active forum that talks about these neat open baffle speakers.