x-statik bass driver phase reversal theory

Quive

x-statik bass driver phase reversal theory
« on: 4 Oct 2021, 10:46 pm »
Im interested in the theory as to why the bass drivers in the GR Research X-Statiks are wired our of phase with the other drivers and if using a sub woofer should that be out of phase also, thanks

EdwardT

Re: x-statik bass driver phase reversal theory
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2021, 11:36 pm »
It could that those drivers' voice coils are wired opposite from the rest. You could test this with a 9v battery: pos to pos and neg to neg (a quick pop not a long contact) and the speaker cone should move forward.
Sometimes the crossover can generate 180° phase shift but I don’t know that to be true in this case.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:23 am »
 :popcorn:A second order crossover doing its thing.  180 degree phase shift requiring anti-phase connection between the LF drivers and the mids.
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2021, 04:31 pm by Cheytak.408 »

subsonic1050

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:27 am »
Im interested in the theory as to why the bass drivers in the GR Research X-Statiks are wired our of phase with the other drivers and if using a sub woofer should that be out of phase also, thanks

How do they sound after break in?

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2021, 12:50 pm »
My servo subwoofers are not out of phase, but Audyssey did detect the phase shift in the X_Statics, which I told it to ignore.   Interestingly enough, it only flagged them as out of phase when I connected them to the subs.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:33 pm »
The low drivers of the X Statiks will be reversed polarity due to their relation to the mid drivers.  This has to do with the crossover and other factors.  It is likely that a subwoofer will need to be reversed polarity to work properly with them, but that will depend on it's placement and the crossover used with the subwoofer.  If you use a high pass filter with the X Statiks (I don't recommend this) your polarity of the subs could change due to this.  The polarity between drivers using the same frequencies can change due to the order of the crossover points. 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:36 pm »
My servo subwoofers are not out of phase, but Audyssey did detect the phase shift in the X_Statics, which I told it to ignore.   Interestingly enough, it only flagged them as out of phase when I connected them to the subs.

Sorry to be picky here, but the low drivers are not out of phase.  They have their polarity reversed, which actually puts them in phase with the mid drivers.  When adding a subwoofer, I would start with the polarity reversed to match the low drivers of the X Statik.  It sounds like your software is working correctly.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:39 pm »

I would start with the subwoofer in reverse polarity, but your end result depends on the subwoofer's placement in regards to the room and the X-Statik's positioning in the room.  The low drivers of the X statiks are reversed polarity but not "out of phase".  The reversed polarity puts them in phase with the mid drivers at the listening position. 

Vince in TX

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:46 pm »
Sorry to be picky here, but the low drivers are not out of phase.  They have their polarity reversed, which actually puts them in phase with the mid drivers.  When adding a subwoofer, I would start with the polarity reversed to match the low drivers of the X Statik.  It sounds like your software is working correctly.

Interesting.   That's the first time I've heard that.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2021, 06:21 pm »
Interesting.   That's the first time I've heard that.

It's common to have polarity on speaker's reversed to compensate for the magnitude of the crossover (generally 2nd order) because that will put the crossover points in phase.  Phase is a function of time while polarity is just a positive or negative voltage.  Phase can be different at different frequencies depending on the speaker design, placement of the drivers in the box and the crossover network.  I don't own X-Statik's but if the low drivers are reversed in polarity then it's definitely a function of the overall phase of the box.  Since those drivers will share frequencies with the subwoofer then it makes sense that the subwoofer would more likely be more in phase with them if the polarity is reversed on the subwoofer.  Room placement and room interaction could change that, but a good starting point would be to have the polarity reversed on the subwoofer to match those low drivers. 

Vince in TX

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2021, 09:04 pm »
It's common to have polarity on speaker's reversed to compensate for the magnitude of the crossover (generally 2nd order) because that will put the crossover points in phase.  Phase is a function of time while polarity is just a positive or negative voltage.  Phase can be different at different frequencies depending on the speaker design, placement of the drivers in the box and the crossover network.  I don't own X-Statik's but if the low drivers are reversed in polarity then it's definitely a function of the overall phase of the box.  Since those drivers will share frequencies with the subwoofer then it makes sense that the subwoofer would more likely be more in phase with them if the polarity is reversed on the subwoofer.  Room placement and room interaction could change that, but a good starting point would be to have the polarity reversed on the subwoofer to match those low drivers.

I plan to try it out to see if it makes a difference.    :thumb:

DannyBadorine

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2021, 09:12 pm »
I'm interested to hear about the results!

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 9 Oct 2021, 10:07 pm »

He is correct.