Indecision on speaker options for smaller room

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Indecision on speaker options for smaller room
« on: 2 Oct 2021, 06:52 pm »
Hi everyone,
Just looking for some advice on speaker choices for what would likely be best option. Currently my setup is on the basic side (turntable to phono to avr and Klipsch RP5000F with atmos and surround). Most use is about 75% used 2 channel music (w/ sub) and 25% H.T.  My dilemma comes from the room size being 14' wide and 11' deep. I've always liked the weight and authority of floor standing speakers and have been able to integrate them well bringing them out into the room about 18", partly plugging the rear port and some acoustic panels. I was looking at the X-MTM but I know with a small room it might be better to have the X-LS Encore to integrate better with the space constraints. Since they will be getting paired with an SVS SB2000 sealed sub, would I really be losing that live music authority of floor standing speakers or will they overpower the room and make me wish I had gone the X-LS instead? Is it possible I'm just overthinking this decision? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

-Lloyd

JWCoffman

Re: Indecision on speaker options for smaller room
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2021, 07:21 pm »
The MTM's are deceptively big, I've got mine in a 17'x27' room which I think is a good size for them.  Also, mine seem to be happiest at least 3' from the wall and when I'm sitting at least 8' away from them.  It doesn't sound like you have that kind of space.  You might think about the X-SLS which is the floor standing version of the X-LS.  It would still go deeper than the X-LS but in a smaller footprint than the MTM's.  You could also consider front-porting it like I've seen others do on this forum if they are going to be relatively close to the wall.  With a good sub I doubt you'll be missing much in the lower end and even with the X-SLS you may feel it sounds better without the sub like I've found (granted, I have a ported sub that sounds pretty flabby next to the MTM's).  Then you'll start scheming about building a servo sub or two.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2021, 11:33 pm »
You could do two X-CS Encores on stands. These are the sealed center channel version of the X-MTMs. You can use two of them on stands as left and right main speakers. Since they are sealed they can be placed closer to the wall. The two midrange drivers of the CS Encores will give fuller cleaner midrange than you would get from the LS Encore. Since you will be crossing to the sub bass performance will be fine

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2021, 01:03 am »
I've done X-LS alone, X-LS with subs, X-CS with subs, and now have X-SLS Encores without subs.  My current room is almost exactly the size as yours, and it seems our use cases are similar.

First, is a second SVS SB2000 a possibility such that you could run them in stereo?  My thought there is that if you like the heft/weight big floorstanders bring to the table, I might suggest X-LS Encores plus the stereo subs, because you may find positive results crossing the subs a bit higher so that they are playing into the lower midrange to get you there.

If the sub is really just meant as LFE fill for the movies and multiples aren't an option, I'd suggest X-SLS Encores with your existing sub.  The X-SLS Encores dig deeper enough than the X-LS Encores that I think you may very well be happy when listing to music with just the speakers and not need the sub.  Otherwise, you're crossing the sub in lower so the blend is maybe easier with just one sub, as it is really just filling in the foundation (and could probably play a little lower in volume overall, again just adding the last bit of spice to the metaphorical dish - key here that less is more so as not to overload the room).

The reason I wouldn't go X-CS in spite of the midrange advantages is because of the size of your (our) room.  Pulling them out from the walls as you state you have (and I do) puts them pretty close to you distance-wise.  My challenge with the X-CS when I ran them compared to the X-LS is the vertical off axis response.  In my experience, the treble drops off more quickly in a much narrower angle with the X-CS than the X-LS, and sitting pretty close to them unless you keep your head firmly on axis vertically with the tweeter, you may likely hear some variation in the response with the X-CS as you move your head around (or if you share the space with family who are taller/shorter) that won't happen as quickly if at all with the X-LS (or X-SLS).  Some don't mind it; for me it bugs me enough to now keep it in firmly in mind whenever demoing speakers.

That aside, if I were going to do X-CS, I'd really want a pair of subs to run them in stereo.  The X-CS by themselves didn't play low enough for my tastes to satisfy me with the music I play, and in the long run I think I'd be less than pleased trying to run just one sub with them for as high as I'd have to cross the sub over to the X-CS to get the job done.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2021, 01:03 am »
If it were me I'd really really really try to stretch the budget to the NX-Studio.  They really excel in a small room with a sub, and they will never, ever be the bottleneck in your system as they are probably the best box bookshelf speaker out there right now. 

nlitworld

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2021, 03:35 am »
Hi everyone, thank you all for the recommendations. It seems like any of the smaller options would likely work or even the X-SLS, and that the bigger MTM could be a little too big to properly integrate.

Tyson, the budget wasn't a huge constraint as it'd likely go on a card and ignore how expensive it is. Ignorance is bliss, right? The big perk about the X-LS option would be the assembled cabinet option. I work 60+ hours a week so being able to go straight to painting rather than assembly would be a money well spent. BUT of the NX-Studios are really that much better then it could be worth the extra time. Just curious on those though, would they be able to mix well with a single sealed sub crossed over at 80-100hz or would it require a second sub playing in stereo crossed over at 150ish?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2021, 04:35 am »
I believe the Studios get down to 70hz pretty easily, so crossing to a sub at 80hz would be perfect.

NX-Studio's are a lot better than the X series speakers, IMO.  The planar tweeter in a horn loaded OB setup is really spectacular, and the midrange Danny designed to match it is also exceptional.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2021, 04:51 am »
I believe the Studios get down to 70hz pretty easily, so crossing to a sub at 80hz would be perfect.

NX-Studio's are a lot better than the X series speakers, IMO.  The planar tweeter in a horn loaded OB setup is really spectacular, and the midrange Danny designed to match it is also exceptional.

Also, the flat pack for those is pretty easy to glue up.

mkrawcz

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2021, 10:42 am »
The NX-Studios are the ultimate small room speaker. There is simply nothing in the world better as a 2 way. I use them in a bedroom that is similar size to your room. They cross over to a single Rel sub and it is a world class sound.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2021, 03:32 pm »
Also, the flat pack for those is pretty easy to glue up.

So long as you have enough clamps. :P

nlitworld

« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2021, 03:40 pm »
Well it sounds like there is a concensus around the NX-Studios being the hot ticket item. Does that kit come with no-rez or will I need to pack on a sheet or two?

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2021, 04:45 pm »
The NX Studio kit does come complete with No Rez. Based on the size of your room, we are in the same situation with room size.

I selected the Studio's over the Encores. I have no doubt, the Encores sound great, personally I wanted to upgrade to the studio's, which offer more detail. Note the Encores will produce lower frequencies. I'm using subwoofers, so I'm not concerned about the Studio's producing low frequencies.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2021, 05:05 pm »
Well it sounds like there is a concensus around the NX-Studios being the hot ticket item. Does that kit come with no-rez or will I need to pack on a sheet or two?

It comes with 2 sheets of Norez.

Mine have about 200 hours on them currently.
Even after only the fit day of play, they already sounded incredible.
The only thing they lacked out of the gate was layering.
Great sense of scale and depth tho.

I really need to take some time to listen to them again today and see how they've developed since then.

nlitworld

« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2021, 06:48 pm »
NX-Studio orfered (with upgrades) and emails sent on ordering flatpack. Thank you for the recommendations and advice. I'm really looking forward to having fun with this. I'll definitely post some photos of progress and the finished product after painting.

mkrawcz

« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2021, 06:51 pm »
NX-Studio orfered (with upgrades) and emails sent on ordering flatpack. Thank you for the recommendations and advice. I'm really looking forward to having fun with this. I'll definitely post some photos of progress and the finished product after painting.
You’re going to love them. They really are incredible.

mick wolfe

« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2021, 08:55 pm »
Just to make you feel better, I've got the NX Studio Monitors set up in an even smaller 10x11 room with 2 smaller REL subs. Near field of course with the front baffle roughly 40" from the front wall, 6.25' center to center with zero toe-in. They sound wonderful despite having well under 100 hours of break-in. Go for the NX Studio Monitor and don't look back. You won't regret it.

MattSelinger

« Reply #16 on: 5 Oct 2021, 07:11 pm »
If it were me I'd really really really try to stretch the budget to the NX-Studio.  They really excel in a small room with a sub, and they will never, ever be the bottleneck in your system as they are probably the best box bookshelf speaker out there right now.

I want to dog pile on the conversation here.  I built the X-LS Encores with all upgrades about 2 years ago.  Changed my world.  Blew everything out of the water I had ever owned (sold my KEF LS-50s shortly after these were built - just no reason to listen to the KEFs anymore).  Clarity, sound stage, even the bass accuracy and presence astounded me for this modest sized bookshelf speaker. 

That led to me desiring the next project.... the next logical build which folks on the forum helped recommend for me - NX Studios.  Two key reasons for this being the next build: 12 x 11 room and I did not have the space to get the speakers far from the wall.  One other item I haven't seen mentioned much in the commentary on this thread is the NX Studios are partially open baffle.  This amazing design has the tweeter open and reflecting backward through the top so you get some of the benefits of the open baffle soundstage that we hear people rave about on the forum.  I finished the NX Studios a couple months ago and they have 250 hours on them.  So in my listening room I have both the X-LS Encores and the NX Studios.  I use a 10" sealed sub that crosses over around 50Hz.  The NX Studios are without question another level better than the X-LS Encores.  Good, good council you all are providing in this thread.  Nlitworld - you will love the NX Studios!

One more thing - I was surprised how great the NX Studios sounded without a sub.  When I measured them, they were reaching into the mid 40 Hz range with authority and great clarity.  To blend my sub I am crossing over low and basically filling in frequencies from 45 to 25 Hz (as low as my sub can get).  I can't say enough good things about both the NX Studios and the X-LS Encores.