Sharp looking new diy speaks!

markC

« on: 23 Mar 2003, 03:51 am »
Check out these speakers that my friend is building. He's making them for his brother and they look pretty cool. I'm not sure how to link to them, (sorry) :oops: , But they're in my gallery which is on page 7. Look for "New Prototype" After he runs them in for a while we're gonna hook em up to my rig. I'm very afraid that I'll like them and I can't put out the cash to build em just now. :cry:

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2003, 04:01 am »
Try this...

If you use the "quote" feature you will see how I did it...

markC

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2003, 04:29 am »
Thanks Marbles, I'll remember that for the future!

bob82274

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2003, 04:47 am »
Those are absolutely beautiful!  I wish I had the wood working skill of your friend!

markC

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2003, 04:56 am »
Yea, me too! But I am learning :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2003, 05:22 pm »
Mark C,

Those are really pleasant looking.  Looks like Hi-Vi Research (Chinese made) drivers he's using..the owners of Swans loudspeakers.  Heard great things about their stuff...

Interesting.

markC

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2003, 05:25 pm »
Good eye Chair! They are indeed all Hi-Vi drivers. They should be ready to go by next weekend-can't wait to hear them.

Raj

veneer
« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2003, 07:30 pm »
Hi,
does anyone know where I can get a veneer similar to the one on the speaker? Or prefrebly some effect like this?

http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/aa114-2-m.jpg

Thanks
Raj

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2003, 10:01 pm »
Mark,

Are the mids/highs dipole?  Kinda looks like it from the picture but can't quite tell. They do indeed look very cool.  I think I have bought my last commercial made speaker.  I have gotten the DIY bug now.  

I am actually just taking a break from routing my speaker stands that I am building for my Maggies.  They are slightly more complicated than I first anticipated but no worries, just will take a bit of time. My wife came up with the idea and I think it is pretty cool, not of the ordinary.

Cheers and keep us posted.

Josh

markC

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2003, 10:27 pm »
Josh; the mid-bass is not dipole, it is a kevlar/paper cone with a phase plug and the tweeter is a planar. Can't wait to hear these, if they sound anywhere close to how good they look to me, then a similar pair with different mechanics will be my next investment/venture.

markC

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2003, 10:37 pm »
Raj; Don't know what kinda wood is in your pic-almost looks like walnut. The veneer on the speaks is 1/8" oak plywood on the rounded top, (x2 thicknesses), the front baffle is 3/4" laminated oak, the sides are 1/4" oak plywood and only the back is iron on oak veneer. All is stained with minwax red oak with several coats of clear coat finish.

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2003, 11:25 pm »
Mark,

What I mean is is the enclosure open in the back on the mids/tweets?  Or are they enclosed fully?

markC

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2003, 02:07 am »
Sorry Josh, misunderstood.  :oops:  Anyway, no they are closed. The cabinet actually contains 2 seperate boxes. One is ported for the woofer, the other sealed for the mid-bass and the planar is mounted in a recessed cavity in the baffle.