Critical must do to install new midwoofers

audiochef

« on: 22 Mar 2005, 08:55 pm »
Since installation, mids and highs were outstanding in regards to their speed and definition. Bass was punchier and faster for sure, however the weight was missing- alot. I'd say about 50%.

Could'nt figure  it out. Tried Phase ,even reglued and sealed bottom plate where passive is, this helped a little . Even  removed all the putty.

I remembered reading a thread from A vmps dealer stating how bad those foam rubber sealers  (gaskets) are for bass.

New woofers come with new gaskets attatched.

I removed the new gaskets. Joilla !!!  That fixed it!!

110% of sub bass is back including all the atributes already mentioned.

So what I'm saying is all you need is one gasket.

So all you need is

KJ

« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2005, 09:42 pm »
I'm a little confused.  Did you remove this?

-KJ

brj

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2005, 09:51 pm »
That picture shows the obvious piece of rubber on the driver, but I'm wondering if there is some sort of rubber backing on the mounting flange that is being referred to?

KJ

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2005, 09:59 pm »
That picture shows the obvious piece of rubber on the driver, but I'm wondering if there is some sort of rubber backing on the mounting flange that is being referred to?

I believe the underside of the "lip" is bare, but I'll check.  :scratch:

-KJ

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2005, 10:42 pm »

Here is a picture of the old woofer on the left and the new woofer on the right.

In the background you can see the RM-40s with the remains of the old gasket material around the woofer hole. The old gasket material should be removed from the cabinet before installing the new woofer.

This is fairly standard procedure when replacing any part that requires sealing with a gasket, be it plumbing, automotive or speakers.

warnerwh

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2005, 01:21 am »
You can push on one of the woofers and see the others come forward if the cabinet is sealed. If you didn't clean the old gasket off then you may have a problem. Sometimes the entire gasket will stick to the cabinet, sometimes it comes apart in pieces at which point you need a fresh gasket.  You can use weatherstripping but the stuff Brian has is better.

audiochef

gasket
« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2005, 01:37 am »
KJ,
yes ,warner and Wayne are right.

I'ts the off whitish foam gasket.

I've just played Dead Can Dances Spirit Chaser and Into the Labyrinth and the bass is down right scary.

Oh, just aquired a shunyata Hydra2 also. Highly reccomended.