Aspen News Update - the GK-1

AKSA

« on: 22 Mar 2003, 11:57 pm »
Guys,

News just to hand;  the GK-1 Option 2 (formerly Stage 2) is now released!!

Read all about it............... :drums:

Now working on the phono documenation and Option 3!!   :oops:

Cheers,

Hugh

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2003, 07:06 pm »
Hugh,

How difficult/feasible would it be to take the standard stage 1 GK-1 (no input switching at this point) 2 channel kit and expand upon it to a 6 channel version?  The reason I ask is because I would really love to build a music 6 channel preamp.  I would only have one source for the time being in this system so switching wouldn't be a problem. Would the hardest part be locating a 6 channel pot? I know DACT makes an expensive 6 channel stepped attenuator, I am not sure of others.  Hate to throw another idea into the still cooking pot but I think this might be of interest to me.

BTW, I still plan to build AKSA 100's for my HT but the wifey has clamped down on my audio spending for the time being while we save towards an apartment.

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2003, 12:09 am »
Josh,

This is a snap;  it's merely a modular approach, although you might balk at the cost of six transformers!!

The problem, as in all things multi-channel, is cost.

Multichannel is almost all robot assembled, and the design and build method usually lends itself to inexpensive assembly.  On a hand-built pcb like the GK-1 the marketing/pricing issues become difficult.  Do I offer the GK-1 six channel at three times the cost of a stereo, and get laughed outa town, or price it at double, and lose most of the profit on multiple sales?  Then there is the issue of signal switching, which is mostly done in existing systems with CMOS chips.  Poor quality.  A multichannel GK-1 would need quality signal routing and switching, and I'd estimate 250 hours in the design of the pcb, and lots of quality relays, which would be quite costly.  It's a bit tricky.  People right or wrong expect powerful discounts on multiple units, and this really knocks the boutique manufacturer around, a rock and a hard place, and all that jazz.

You might also consider the appropriacy issues here;  a bit like using a Roller as a pickup truck.  Are the imaging powers of a GK-1 really necessary in a multichannel system, where the image is created with powerful processors and dispersed speakers?

However, Josh, not to be a snob about it;  what is the current approach of the stereo preamp manufacturers to this vexing issue?  Do they offer multis?  Let me know;  I'm delighted to talk on this stuff, and I'm reasonably market-driven.

Cheers,

Hugh

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2003, 02:12 am »
I completely understand your point of view Hugh.  I would feel the same way if I were you.  Since you said the GK-1 is modular and yes it could be done you answered my question.  I did not expect to do this at any less than 3x an individual unit except for maybe savings on the case and using one transformer for the rears and sub channels (don't need the imaging & seperation in these channels).  You would still need to use 3 seperate transformers for the front three in my conception.

If I decided to do this I would first build a two channel one in a large enough case and then add on down the road with additional channels.  I don't need the switching since I only have one multichannel source (DVD player) in this, my home theater, system.  R.E. Designs makes a 6 channel preamp and he uses a seperate box for the multichannel switching.  The preamp itself only has one 6 channel input.  I would probably do the same.  

This conception I have in my brain would be great for the universal player market.  One could also have switching on the front two channels only with the assumption that all multi-channel inputs would come from the one source.  

I have a Klipsch dolby digital decoder (which is pretty good mind you and even excellent with an external power supply) that has digital switching (optical, coax, etc) and outputs 6 channels.  This is another plausible merger.  The Klipsch by the way costs < $200 (USD) so the addition of this to an even expensive 6 channel GK-1 is still a value compared to the hi-end pre/pro's out there.

Just brain-storming basically.

Cheers,
Josh

PSP

a pragmatic approach
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2003, 04:58 pm »
Pragmatically speaking, it seems like one could use a GK-1 for the front two channels + sub and however many TLPs for the surrounds.  I am sure that this setup would kick the snot out of any but the most extreme HT installations.... and those who want the ultimate can buy three GK-1s as Josh suggests.

A step only slightly down the foodchain would be to use passives for the surrounds, GK-1 for the fronts + sub...  

In these approaches, one might have to L-pad the GK-1 input, stick a resistor in the signal path to equalize the signal level... TANSTAFFL... there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.  

Finally, Josh (or anyone else!)... can you tell me where to get a good price for the Klipsch Dolby digital decoder?  $200 sounds like an excellent deal...

Peter

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2003, 06:23 pm »
Peter you can order them directly from their website.  go to klipsch.com and order the digital decoder. $192 + shipping I think.

PSP

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2003, 08:10 pm »
Hi Josh,
Thanks... found it for $169.  Can I ask a few reasonably uninformed HT questions????  

- I'm looking at the Klipsch Promedia DD-5.1.  Is that the right box?

- Signal path is:  DVD (DD, DTS, etc.) digital out --> DD-5.1 (analog outs)  --> preamp --> amps.  Is that correct?

- Currently, I'm not using a center channel.  So, my HT setup would really be 4.1, i.e., fronts, rears, and a sub.  I can set that configuration on the DVD menus, but would there be any issues specific to using the DD-5.1 in such a configuration?

- Currently, I'm using my DVD player as a transport for 2ch music:  DVD digital out --> ART DI/O --> preamp --> amps.  How would you approach continued use of the DI/O for 2 channel music in combination with the DD-5.1 for HT?

- What kind of bass management options does it use?  XO frequency is?

Apologies for being such a bonehead, but the Klipsch site doesn't show a back-panel view of the DD-5.1, nor does it describe its use outside of their ProMedia HT system.

Your help is most appreciated... many thanks.

Peter

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2003, 09:40 pm »
Peter,

Yeah that is the right box.  Currently I am running only 2.1 speakers, no preamp, just the promedia into my amp (it does volume control but it isn't a top notch preamp).  The box does bass management and choice of speaker outputs so you don't need to do this in your DVD player.  

You should be able to use this in your current setup.  You may have more than one option.  If your player has more than one digital output, and you can choose which, then you could output coax to the art di/o and optical to the klipsch or visa versa depending on the art's input.  Then you could run the front two analog outputs of the klipsch into the preamp but still use the klipsch for volume (need to for sub i would think but I don't know how you have that configured) with the preamp all the way up.

PSP

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2003, 10:55 pm »
Hi Josh,
Much appreciated.  I'm going to think about it for a day, then probably do it.

You have been very helpful.   :thumb:

Peter