Catherdral ceilings and echos

Campindog

« on: 22 Mar 2005, 05:57 am »
I was wondering if there are logical ways identify and treat slap echoes. I currently have 8 bass traps (4 mini and 4 mondo traps) and I will be making some mid / high absorbing panels for first reflection points. I’m concerned the room will still sound too live. Although I have carpet, the room has a lot of reverb. Possibly the cathedral ceiling is the culprit? Or reflections off front/rear or side to side? I’m sure it’s a combination, but how to prioritize? Is there an area I should focus on or is it simply about coverage (like bass traps)? The ceiling is divided into three “bays”. I’m thinking about making 6 panels and mounting one on each slope of the ceiling.  Anyone have any other ideas? I plan on spending some quality time with test tones and my RS meter the weekend  :) Room details are in my sig.
Thanks

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Catherdral ceilings and echos
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2005, 04:05 pm »
Derek,

> Possibly the cathedral ceiling is the culprit? <

A cathedral ceiling is a problem because it tends to focus the sound under the peak. Focusing is the opposite of diffusion. I hung MiniTraps under the ceiling peak in my home studio:

My living room home theater also has a peaked ceiling, so I treated that the same way too.

> Is there an area I should focus on or is it simply about coverage (like bass traps)? <

Yes, it's about coverage, but there is a method you can use. Besides reducing overall ambience and excess reverb, you also want to avoid flutter echo between parallel surfaces. So this means you should treat opposing walls. But don't treat one entire wall and leave the wall opposite bare. Better is to treat uniformly, such as a checkerboard pattern or stripes. The goal is to spread the absorption evenly around the room.

--Ethan

Campindog

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2005, 04:02 am »
Cool. Thanks!