Hemp update

Louis O

Hemp update
« on: 22 Mar 2005, 01:54 am »
Hi everyone.

Hemp update.

The are due to arrive any day now as they were shipped last Friday.

I can’t explain much about the sound right now, but I can say there will be 2 versions of the speakers. One is a compact wide baffle like the Super 3 and the other is my very first floor stander. Finally I will have a floor stander. I know the wait was very long, but now I have the right drivers. The hemp is truly an Omega driver and will have many features, including hybrid motor, special voice coil, non pressed hemp cone and accordion surround. The baskets are cast and the efficiency will be in the 96 to 97dB area.

Both speakers will have 3” precision flared rear ports. Bass response will be in the 40 Hz area and the drivers do extend a bit beyond 18K. I will also experiment with tweeter as well. I will be bringing the compact to Montreal. Prices are still up in the air, but I will do my best to keep them as low as I can.

The 8” are first and then the 4.5” drivers. These will be drop in replacements in the Super 3s.

I will also have an Omega EL-84 amp out very soon too and a surprise amp that I will talk about after the show.

Thanks again,
Louis

GHM

Hemp update
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2005, 02:10 am »
Wow Louis I'm looking forward to this. When can I get on the list to order a pair of 8" drivers for my Grande 8s ?

THX

Bwanagreg

Hemp update
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2005, 02:52 am »
Very cool Louis. And writing the subject line had to be fun, too.   :smoke:

A new surprise amp, eh?
 :o
Hmm.
 :?
Very interesting. Let the speculation begin...
 :D

maxwalrath

Hemp update
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2005, 04:17 am »
you mean I might like my 3R's even more? Damn. What are the differences sonically?

jrdcesq

Hemp update
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2005, 12:18 am »
Louis:

I am very interested in the el84 amp. I have grand 8Rs and I heard them with the sophia baby amp which is a 10 watt per channel el84 amp. I totally loved it, but since your making one that I assume is voiced to your speakers I would love to hear it and more about it.

John

Louis O

Hemp update
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2005, 12:58 am »
Hi GHM,

Very soon and I will have to send the ports too. They should work with no problems at all. I was really worried about the basket cut out before I got them and I was very relieved when I found they fit perfectly.

Hi Bwanagreg,

It's a smoking good time. Still up in the smoke about a name too.

New amp is an EL-84, but the surprise is a lot different and I will have pics after Montreal.

Hi maxwalrath,

I don't have the 4.5s yet, but if they are anything like the 8s, it's really good.

Hi John,

I had a Baby amp too and it was really good. The bass was very surprising too. One of my favorite output tubes is the EL-84 and I was interested in making the amp for a while. I will have more to tell you soon, but it will be 4 and 8 watt switchable, Tango power and Silk output transformers and will be in an aluminum housing. The chassis is like a SS amp though and it really kept the costs down. Looks like the price will be $699.

Thanks again,
Louis

Bwanagreg

Hemp update
« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2005, 02:38 am »
...the surprise is a lot different

OK Hangman time. Give me a "T".

T _ _ _ _ t _

Louis O

Hemp update
« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2005, 01:46 am »
Hi Greg,

Your really on to it and give me an R.

Spilling some of the beans:

I have about 70 hours on the hemps and I am amazed. The model that ready is the Compact. It looks like a Super 3 on steroids. Wide baffle with a 3" flared port on the back. It's bigger than a Grande 8 too.

I have done something a bit different with the construction material and it sounds really good. The cabinet is made of 2 types of MDF. They are softwood ultralight and heavy West Pine Gold. The combo is really good.

The drivers are made for me and they are designed specifically for BRs. I'm getting a response of F3:50Hz and in room 44Hz out of the compact. The Floorstander should be about 38Hz in room. The SPL is a high 96dB and the top end extension is so good that you think it has a tweeter. The speakers are so fast, great bass, dynamic and transparent. The balance is very linear and near field listening is no problem at all. I really can't get over the speed and dynamics of them.  I tried the bottlehead 2A3, M500 300B, Triode celebration EM 320Bs. They all sounded great. They will be a great match for the Clari t too. No idea on prices yet.

The system in Montreal will be.

Amps :
Surprise amp, my EL-84, Triode Celebration EM320B

Pre amp:
Opera T1

CDP
Opera Droplet

Cables Omega R

Many thanks to Tommy at Hudson audio as most of it is his as he has way more money than me.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

Louis O

Hemp update
« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2005, 01:13 am »
Hi

I'm off to the show and I will make sure I have many pics and a lot more info on all the new stuff.

Thanks again and talk to you soon,
Louis

Louis O

Hemp update
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2005, 12:19 am »
Hemp press release :

New from Omega Loudspeakers…
The Delta-9 Series!
Hemp-powered Single-Driver Loudspeakers for an Unparalleled Musical High!
The Pocket Rocket - 4.5” stand-mount mini-monitor speaker
The Big Fatty – 8” stand-mount monitor speaker
The Atom Bomb – 8” full-range floor standing speaker
Driver construction: Cannabis Sativa (early harvest ditchweed)
High Excursion Hemp Cone with Rolled Wizzer (a.k.a. stoned road trip with spliff)
Specs: Less than 1% THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol)
Finishes: Acapulco Gold
Panama Red
Kentucky Blue
Columbian Black
Don’t Be A Dope…Listen to Music Instead! (Public service announcement brought to you by L.C.)

This was sent to me and I had to share it.

Thanks,
Louis

Michael

Pocket Rocket
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2005, 07:20 am »
Louis,

I'm eager to learn more about the Pocket Rocket. Any photos???

Michael

Louis O

Hemp update
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2005, 01:31 am »
It should be just around the corner.

Thanks,
Louis