Minimum shelf spacing for tube amplifiers?

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Minimum shelf spacing for tube amplifiers?
« on: 31 Aug 2021, 10:45 pm »
Something I've been pondering lately - I'm looking to add a new tube line stage and phono preamp to my setup, but I'm somewhat space limited in the cabinet I built for my setup years ago. My power amps are Svetlana SV811-10 monoblocks - thoriated tungsten filaments, big bottles, lots of heat. I'd like to adjust my shelves downward to give myself enough room for a line stage and phono stage on separate shelves, but I'm wondering, for those who've had similar amps, how close have you been able to put shelving without worrying about radiated heat? I guess I could just see how close I could get the shelves without setting the finish on fire, but I'm not sure if there'd be a reduced lifespan I'd have to worry about in the future.

Thanks!

bacobits1

Re: Minimum shelf spacing for tube amplifiers?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2021, 11:15 pm »
I'd say agood 4 to 6 " for power amp .Line stage 2 to 3" space above.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2021, 12:16 am »
Do the amps have to be in the cabinet?
Do you have room for some small end tables for them?

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2021, 12:44 am »
Get  small fan...blow it on the gear.....make shelves as tight as you want.    :thumb:

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2021, 01:18 am »
I left several inches above my integrated tube amplifier but I still provided protection for it and the wood shelf above it. I made an insulation pad with aluminum flashing and felt insulation. I tacked the felt to the flashing with high-temperature gasket adhesive and used a couple screws to attach it to bottom of the shelf above the amp. Then I installed an axial fan to exhaust heat pulling air across the amplifier, not blowing dust on it.

As a bonus the aluminum provides surface area to dissipate heat and prevent hot spots. The aluminum barely gets warm.

https://www.mcmaster.com/aramid/high-temperature-felt/

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2021, 11:36 am »
To aid cooling my Decware tube amp that's inside a well vented A/V console I installed a computer cooling fan powered by this inexpensive power supply. You can select the appropriate voltage that gives the right compromise between fan noise and cooling.

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2021, 12:51 am »
Something I've been pondering lately - I'm looking to add a new tube line stage and phono preamp to my setup, but I'm somewhat space limited in the cabinet I built for my setup years ago. My power amps are Svetlana SV811-10 monoblocks - thoriated tungsten filaments, big bottles, lots of heat. I'd like to adjust my shelves downward to give myself enough room for a line stage and phono stage on separate shelves, but I'm wondering, for those who've had similar amps, how close have you been able to put shelving without worrying about radiated heat? I guess I could just see how close I could get the shelves without setting the finish on fire, but I'm not sure if there'd be a reduced lifespan I'd have to worry about in the future.

Thanks!

Hey!

Those SV811-10 are bright and pretty but they do put out lots of heat. I think I would be worry more about your amp than those tubes, in a confined space your amp will heat up from those tube and this will shorten the life of the components inside like capacitors and etc.

So, the more space you can give them the better. But if you can't, having fan(s) like others have suggested should work.

I'm fortunate that I have space to put both of my SET amps in the open on the floor between my speaker and other components on a rack along the wall on the right.

Buddy