Convinced I need Salks, but which?

Buddha3145

Convinced I need Salks, but which?
« on: 26 Aug 2021, 08:16 pm »
Hey Folks,

I feel I need to upgrade the speakers (Wharfedale EVO 4.4s) in my basement and after much research, Salk sounds like what I want. However, there are so many models to choose from and I don't really know how to narrow them down. I've seen many touting the BeATs and Encores and I've watched the New Record Day review of the Veracity STs. They all seem to be great. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Primary use will be for 2 channel music, but it will be integrated into my home theater setup. I listen to a variety of music, but mostly classic rock, funk, soul, R&B and the like. A lot of Steely Dan. I also like a variety of female vocalists like Joni Mitchell, Susan Tedeschi, Norah Jones, et al. I like a nice airy and ethereal top end as well as generous bass. I will be using 2x REL T9/i subs.

Room:
16 x 26, 8ft ceiling

Equipment:
Rogue Audio Stereo 100 amp
McIntosh MX-120 preamp/processor
Schiit Bifrost multibit DAC
Bluesound Node 2i as Roon endpoint
2x REL T9/i subwoofers

Thanks everyone! And if there is anyone in the Twin Cities area that would like to let me listen, let me know!

Saturn94

Re: Convinced I need Salks, but which?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2021, 10:44 pm »
I would encourage you to call Salk.  Jim Salk is great at helping narrow your choices based on your needs and will not try to upsell you. 

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2021, 11:15 pm »
Hey Folks,

Thanks everyone! And if there is anyone in the Twin Cities area that would like to let me listen, let me know!

Call Frank at avahifi.com. He's in the southern (I think) suburbs.

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2021, 11:37 pm »
Hi Buddha, have you thought about a pair of the higher end two ways? You have the two subs, so bass is not an issue. There are two Silk two ways, and two Exotica two ways, plus a a couple of larger three way monitors.

Happy Hunting,
JCarney

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2021, 11:44 am »
I would encourage you to call Salk.  Jim Salk is great at helping narrow your choices based on your needs and will not try to upsell you.

Great advice!

As one of Jim's earliest customers, I can tell you that his advice and customer service is second to none!

Good luck.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2021, 01:16 pm »
What is your budget?

Hey Folks,

I feel I need to upgrade the speakers (Wharfedale EVO 4.4s) in my basement and after much research, Salk sounds like what I want. However, there are so many models to choose from and I don't really know how to narrow them down. I've seen many touting the BeATs and Encores and I've watched the New Record Day review of the Veracity STs. They all seem to be great. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Primary use will be for 2 channel music, but it will be integrated into my home theater setup. I listen to a variety of music, but mostly classic rock, funk, soul, R&B and the like. A lot of Steely Dan. I also like a variety of female vocalists like Joni Mitchell, Susan Tedeschi, Norah Jones, et al. I like a nice airy and ethereal top end as well as generous bass. I will be using 2x REL T9/i subs.

Room:
16 x 26, 8ft ceiling

Equipment:
Rogue Audio Stereo 100 amp
McIntosh MX-120 preamp/processor
Schiit Bifrost multibit DAC
Bluesound Node 2i as Roon endpoint
2x REL T9/i subwoofers

johzel

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2021, 01:53 pm »
I agree with others who have suggested deciding on a budget and then calling or emailing Jim for his input in selecting which model. I've done that several times and he has never steered me wrong . . . (in fact, that's how we came up with the "BeATs").  :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:08 pm »
Agree with the consensus of calling Jim, which I'm sure you'll do at some point.

If you are looking for informed opinions from the membership then we need to know three basic things, the first one you gave us, music styles.  Next we need to know the room dimensions and, of course, your budget.  Make sense?

May your musical journey be rewarding.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:13 pm »
I use Salk HT2 TL speakers in my own home theater system and have a set of Song Tower II speakers set up in my main evaluation system here in Woodbury, MN.

You are welcome to visit us and hear both of these speaker systems. Bring some of your own favorite CDs or records.

Just call us first, 651-330-9871, to arrange for a visit.

Frank Van Alstine

Buddha3145

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:14 pm »
Agree with the consensus of calling Jim, which I'm sure you'll do at some point.

If you are looking for informed opinions from the membership then we need to know three basic things, the first one you gave us, music styles.  Next we need to know the room dimensions and, of course, your budget.  Make sense?

May your musical journey be rewarding.

The room dimensions are in my original post, 16 x 26 with 8 ft ceiling. My budget is a max of $15,000, but my preference would be to stay under $10,000.

JCarney

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:47 pm »
Frank, you rock. You extended an invitation to my son and I as well a couple years back. I goofed, lost track of time and we did not stop by, but you still offered. I count that one as a major screw up.

JCarney

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2021, 05:45 pm »
With that budget I would consider the Fyne Audio 702's.  I heard them at RMAF 2 years ago and they were awesome and are on my short list of speakers at $9600pr.  I actually flew down to Suncoast Audio in Florida  to give them an audition and was still blown away.  They are my dream speakers.  I was going to buy them and then COVID hit and my wife insisted on doing some remodeling in the house.

Some of the best sounding speakers I have heard.  The Walnut finish is stunning and the sound is even better.  It is coherent, transparent, has a huge sound stage and wide sweet spot.  Off Axis listening is great.  It has great tight bass and the top end is smooth yet detailed.   The company was started by some engineers that broke away from Tannoy so that they could do their own thing.  They use similar technology.

https://www.fyneaudio.com/f700-series/

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/fyne-audio-f702-floorstanding-loudspeakers/

https://www.hifichoice.com/content/fyne-audio-f702

I would also take a look at Magico A series speakers.  Minneapolis HiFi sells them by appointment only-
https://www.minneapolishifi.com/

https://www.soundstageaustralia.com/index.php/reviews/363-magico-a3-loudspeakers#:~:text=As%20the%20A3%20was%20designed%20to%20incorporate%20the,the%20first%20standout%20feat%20I%E2%80%99d%20like%20to%20mention.

I live in Woodbury, MN and unfortunately there are not a lot of higher end speaker brands sold in the Twin Cities.  You may also want to give a listen to the Focal Katana's at Stereoland.

Hifi sound in MPLS has the Wharfedale Elysian's that would be worth listening to.  They are supposed to be a huge step up from the Evo 4.4's which are a great sounding speaker (my son has a pair of the 4.4's).

Take Frank VA up on his offer  to listen to the Salks.  He lives 3 minutes from my house.

RonN5

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2021, 06:54 pm »

Buddha

I've heard the Fynes...great speaker.  I've also heard the Salk Beats and Salk Veracity STs (which I own) side by side...both great speakers.  BUT in subtle ways, the Fynes, Beats and STs sound different from each other.

Therefore, I strongly recommend that you take the time with your Wharfdales to identify why you feel you need to upgrade, what is missing, what do you want to hear more of...or less of....is the soundstage too narrow, is there brightness, is the tone correct, etc., etc., etc.  That way, when you go to Franks to hear two of the different Salk models, you will have a much better idea of what it is you are looking for and whether either of those speakers fits the bill.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2021, 07:01 pm »
Jcarney, you are still welcome here of course.

Right now you would get to hear our new Digital Preamp paired with a couple of our new M225 balanced mono amps. The results are special.

Call first, 651-330-9871.

Frank

Buddha3145

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2021, 07:20 pm »
With that budget I would consider the Fyne Audio 702's. 

Thanks for the recommendation. I've flirted with the Tannoy Ardens. I'll have to educate myself about Fyne Audio.

RonN5

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2021, 07:38 pm »
Buddha

I have a suspicion that if you lean toward a large 3d soundstage, really good tone in the mid bass and a top end that doesn't bite, the H2TL with their RAAL ribbons and transmission lines will put a smile on your face.  I haven't heard the Song 2s with their AMTs...but I hear they are really good as well.

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2021, 07:39 pm »
10 to 15k can buy you an awful lot of speaker!   :thumb:

I know nothing about Fyne, but with that kind of cheese I'd be seriously considering Spatial Audio X series.  Your generous room size should allow them to really strut.  And by all accounts, the powered woofers make your subs superfluous.  Sell them, save floor space, and make the main speakers cheaper.   The top model X3 would come in well below your budget.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2021, 08:06 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation. I've flirted with the Tannoy Ardens. I'll have to educate myself about Fyne Audio.

With your budget you could step up to the 703's and 704's.  They are one of the only box speaker that gave me a bit of a Magnepan type sound except that the Maggies have a small sweet spot and don't sound great off axis as the Fyne's.  They are very holographic and transparent while still having depth and weight to the mid's.  The sound stage is wide and tall.  They just do everything well.

JCarney

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2021, 12:42 am »
Jcarney, you are still welcome here of course.

Right now you would get to hear our new Digital Preamp paired with a couple of our new M225 balanced mono amps. The results are special.

Call first, 651-330-9871.

Frank
Thank You Frank, gracious as always.

JCarney