Aether Audio loud speakers

Elrod81

Aether Audio loud speakers
« on: 24 Aug 2021, 09:16 am »
Hi I have some aether audio loudspeakers on a stands that I don't know much about. I was wondering if anybody knew a little more about them and can you give me some information on them. Thank you

Bob Stark

Re: Aether Audio loud speakers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2021, 11:52 am »
Aether Audio used to be SP Technology.  The speakers were made by Bob Smith and were all speakers that shot well above the asking price in sound quality.  He made the Timepiece Mini, Timepiece 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, Continuum 2.5, and the mighty Revelation 2-cabinet speakers.  All of them utilized the waveguide to augment the tweeter to give it much more power, 360 degree dispersion, with zero downsides that a horn might have.  The smaller speakers were 2 way, and the Continuum was a 2.5 way with one of the identical mid-woofers acting as a mid-woofer and the other as a more pure woofer.  The Revelation was a Continuum on the top cabinet, and the bottom cabinet was a folded transmission line with 3 tuned ports near or on the front lower portion of the cabinet.  Both the top cabinet and the bottom had identical 4" x 8" rectangular holes cut in to allow the woofers on top to utilize the space of the entire bottom cabinet to augment the bass to be much more powerful and defined when connected.  There was a wood 3/4" wood spacer that surrounded the entire hole on the top of the bottom cabinet that was screwed and caulked which sealed the airspace between the two cabinets when they were on top of each other from the weight of the upper cabinet sitting on that spacer plus a metal rail that was screwed into the outer perimeter of the top of the bottom cabinet.  All the Aether speakers had prodigious bass for their size and wonderful sound.  Bob Smith was the first to make a proper working waveguide tweeter design and caused a whole generation of speakers to make a waveguide for their speakers.  Bob just knew how to make them sound this good better than all who followed IMO.  I believe the Revelation speaker was only made by SP Tech, as Bob concentrated on making the smaller speakers during the latter Aether Audio manufacturing.  Bob was and is a genius in the audio field but has never had the continuous backing of investors to allow him to concentrate on making his awesome speakers.  Aether Audio is currently making some sound enhancement products and power cables.  Bob Smith is the man behind TDSS which repairs and upgrades Nuforce and Nuprime electronics.  His son Cody is also a key part of the team and highly talented in the electronics field. 

Nick B

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2021, 04:26 pm »
I used to own SP Technology Timepiece 2.1s and I believe had them upgraded to 3.0s. It was a great two-way speaker and the bass reproduction was quite good for a 6.5 inch? midwoofer. I had the Timepieces for a number of years and finally sold them to a guy in Texas. It was quite heavy for a stand mount, weighing at least 50+ pounds each.

As I recall, Bob was pretty much a one-man shop and had some production and delivery issues with SP Tech. He was great to me and always responsive to my emails. I recall that an AC member named Double Ugly had the Revelations and raved about them. Am not aware of any other Revelation owners. It’s good to know Bob is still in the business and has passed along his knowledge to his son Cody.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2021, 05:07 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Elrod81   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2021, 06:38 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2021, 09:41 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2021, 09:49 pm »
As I type this, I'm listening to a pair of Timepiece Minis in ipe. I've owned dozens of speakers. I will never sell these.

Bob Stark

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2021, 09:51 pm »
Hey Konut,

They do have that effect on you.