I need cartridge recomendations for my table..

Marbles

« on: 22 Mar 2003, 03:37 pm »
Here is one just like mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3010803681&category=3283

I would like to upgrade the OEM Sansui Audio Technica.

Thanks for any help.

Also I would like to rewire the toneare.  Any sugestions would be helpful there too.

Thanks.

BTW, this was probably the best belt drive TT Sansui ever made.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2003, 10:49 pm »
Guess much of this depends on taste and budget.  For a low-mid priced cartridge that does very well, check out the Grado line.  The best low buck deal in the bunch is the Grado Silver...which you should be able to buy for about $100...if you want to spend more, the upper level grado's, the Shure MkV..(great tracker and flat response) or the Blue Point hi output MC cartridge are all long term favs.

Have fun..
Bob

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2003, 11:36 pm »
I just picked up a new AVA Longhorn cartridge and it sounds very good.  The turntable tech at my local high end audio shop was very impressed with the quality and the sound.  He said it easily bested his Dynavector and the Grado Gold he recelty set up (today).  It's playing now and so far I really like it.

J

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2003, 01:01 am »
Quote from: jackman
I just picked up a new AVA Longhorn cartridge and it sounds very good.  The turntable tech at my local high end audio shop was very impressed with the quality and the sound.  He said it easily bested his Dynavector and the Grado Gold he recelty set up (today).  It's playing now and so far I really like it.

J

The Longhorn is based on the Grado Green, right??  Some internal mods and the Git-Along-Little-Doggie horns. And around $100?

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2003, 12:54 pm »
Yup.  It has a brass stabilizer and internal dampening.  Based on the green but with lots of mods.  Very cool looking but I need a different clamp because it is longer than I thought.

J

jesserparker

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2003, 05:18 am »
any place online you know of that sells these longhorn carts?

Tonto Yoder

AVA is factory direct
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2003, 11:41 am »

jackman

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2003, 05:24 pm »
PS-the stabilizer bar that is affixed to the front of the cartridge is made of brass with dampening material.  The workmanship is actually very good. It is also internally damped.  It's hard to compare it to other cartridges because I can't switch easily but the guy from the audio shop (an older person with lots of experience) really liked the AVA Longhorn.  I may send mine back because it doesn't allow me to use my record clamp and I may just get a Grado Sonata instead.  The wooden Sonata is a very nice cartridge but sells for about $600.  

For the money, the AVA looks like a real winner.

J

hifitommy

cartridge recomendations
« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2003, 06:48 pm »
the AT440ML or $90 is a great way to go.  ive had mine for 5years and love its sound.  good tracker, nice bass and top, good imaging.  

check it here:http://www.lpgear.com.