AV123 X Series Enclosure Mods Needed for Standard to Encore Upgrade

tortoiseman2542

Hi Everyone!

I have a line on some X series speakers locally but they are either series 1 or series 2 (non-Encore) cabinets.  What would need to be modified on the cabinet to allow for an upgrade to Encore components? 

I remember from the old days that I am pretty sure tweeter hole modification is needed.  Like a notch for the newer tweeter. 

Anything for the woofer? 

I would buy Encore crossover components too but would possibly go max on those, so I'd buy/part that out separate.  ;) 

Thanks,
Robert

Skilly

I did this mod about a year ago. I got the av123 X-LS at a very reasonable rate, far less than a flat pack. Shipping was even less than the flat pack. The inside, the braces were good and the center brace was square not round, like the flat packs. The walls had clued material I refer to as rag wool, but i am not sure what it is in actuality. I pulled that out and scraped it down pretty good. I installed no Rez on all exposed wood, except where the new X-Over was going in. With all the no Rez the x-over was a tight fit so there was no exposed wood.
I used a router and cleared space for the new tweeter leads. The hole did not need to be changed other than that. I kept the original posts. The bonus was that the speakers came with a perfect grill, which i usually leave in place while playing. Overall, with parts and shipping my project was finished at $380.00 for a complete encore.

Overall, it was a great project and my concerns about the x-over layout was easily handles by the photos here and the kindly support of the members. I did some posts here with photos so with a bit of searching you should be able to find them. Good luck.
Scott

tortoiseman2542

Thanks Skilly!  That is great info!

I thought the tweeter leads spot was the only mod needed and glad that is the case.  I know there is the old glued "dampening" material that will need removed for the no-rez.  I use the word dampening loosely.  LOL.  As I recall that stuff was very cheap and probably didn't dampen a thing. 

Thanks,
Robert

Skilly

No worries. I should also point out that I was able to sell the old drivers and some of the old parts of the x-over that were salvaged by the process.  That would result in a bit of coin in my pocket, and no fewer parts in the dump. This was one of the truly win-win situations I have experienced. I got new speakers I love, saved money, learned a thing or two, and the managed to save others some coin on parts that could be reused. No new trees were harmed. The old owner got some value for their speakers they no longer wanted. I guess, the only down side would be the gas burned in shipping.